Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Sigil + embedded font variants

Does Sigil handle embedded fonts with separate styles/weights?

eg. I've embedded Libertine (below is my @font-face setup), and declared font-family: "Libertine"; for <body>.

But in book view Sigil does not show any italic or bold variations, only the regular font face. I'm fairly confident I'm seeing the embedded font due to the presence of ligatures which are in the text but not in the default font.

However when I put the epub on my Nook I do see the variations. I know some ereaders will fake italic/bold using the normal face, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening since the actual italic face is actually missing some characters that the normal face has and I'm seeing the correct missing characters on the Nook.

Code:
/*
 * ======== Linux Libertine ========
 */
@font-face {
	font-family: "Libertine";
	font-style: normal;
	font-weight: normal;
	src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertine_Re.ttf);
}
@font-face {
	font-style: italic;
	font-weight: normal;
	src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertine_It.ttf);
}
@font-face {
	font-style: normal;
	font-weight: bold;
	src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertine_Bd.ttf);
}
@font-face {
	font-style: italic;
	font-weight: bold;
	src: url(../Fonts/LinLibertine_BI.ttf);
}
I hope that makes sense to someone....

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

I've attached an epub which demonstrates this. The first page declares all 4 faces of Libertine, the 2nd page only declares the normal "regular" face.

Sigil [& Calibre] shows no formatting at all on the first page, while ADE on my Nook shows it correctly.

However, Sigil [& Calibre] shows the 2nd page correctly but my Nook does not.

Even more interesting is that Sigil does not appear to be "faking" the formatting. The st ligature glyph of the Libertine font is fairly unique in its italic form. Is something in Sigil/webkit intelligently searching for & finding the correct font files?

Troy
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sigil_embed_font_test.epub (917.3 KB, 424 views)
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Sigil [& Calibre] shows no formatting at all on the first page, while ADE on my Nook shows it correctly.
This is caused by a bug in QtWebKit which both Sigil and Calibre use. It's also tracked on the Sigil tracker.

There's nothing I can do until Nokia fixes this.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
This is caused by a bug in QtWebKit which both Sigil and Calibre use. It's also tracked on the Sigil tracker.

There's nothing I can do until Nokia fixes this.
Thanks! and welcome back!

Hope you had an enjoyable vacation.

Troy
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
tom4christ
tom4christ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sigil Epub a Kindle 3

Hallo,
I have problem, that I did Epub by Sigil and embedded my special font for decoration under heading. I converted it to mobi by Kindle Previewer. Kindle for PC shows the font, but the reader doesn't. Menu shows publishers font on, but font is not that specified one, but normal.

Does anyone know what's the problem?
Thanks.
tom4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4christ View Post
Hallo,
I have problem, that I did Epub by Sigil and embedded my special font for decoration under heading. I converted it to mobi by Kindle Previewer. Kindle for PC shows the font, but the reader doesn't. Menu shows publishers font on, but font is not that specified one, but normal.

Does anyone know what's the problem?
Thanks.
You are resurrecting a two years old thread concerning a different problem from the one you're having, which is well known, so many experts will probably skip it. It's a lot better to make a new thread with a descriptive subject.

As to your problem I would guess that your @font-face declarations don't point to the right font files, or that the Kindle ignores them. Does the epub validate in Sigil? Are you sure that the correct font face (non-italic) is used on the Kindle?

If none of those are the problem you need to post the epub here. If it's copyrighted you can make a minimal epub which exhibits the problem and post that instead. Just delete most of your content, and add a few lines with different font-styles in them. I could inspect the epub for obvious problems, but as I don't use a physical Kindle I could not test it for you.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Yep, this should have gone into a new thread, and most likely not in the Sigil forum, mobi probably.

As I understand it, mobi doesn't support embedded fonts, KF8 does, the older mobi does not. So if it is being tried on a K3 - which is what Tom4christ seems to have, then if it is a K3 with the older non-KF8 firmware, then this is the expected behaviour.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote