Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #61
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I've read that, like antennagate, the maps problem is, while real, rather overblown.

Seems like critics love to make hay with new Apple hardware and software releases.

Yes, I've seen the blog of errors...I also read lots comments of people who used it without any problems.

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-22-2012 at 06:18 PM.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #62
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
This from The Independent 22/09/'12 ..................

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...internalSearch
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #63
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
I've read that, like antennagate, the maps problem is, while real, rather overblown.

Seems like critics love to make hay with new Apple hardware and software releases.

Yes, I've seen the blog of errors...I also read lots comments of people who used it without any problems.
I just checked my home town. All restaurants was placed on the wrong street. New restaurants was missing and old ones that do not exist anymore was still there. Buildings like Linköping Castle was missing and so on. So I would not say that the problems are overblown.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #64
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

I live in a town which, according to Apple, doesn't exist. In what way is that overblown? Am I a figment of my own imagination? You need to accept, as many Apple buyers have, that the Apple Maps thing is sub-optimal at the moment.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #65
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Anyone who says it's overblown is an Apple apologist. If you never use the app then you could probably get away with thinking that but if you live a big city or do a lot of travelling and use it every day then it's horrible.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #66
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All I have read is that people have been using the beta product for some time with no problem. I would guess they live in big cities.

I don't know. I don't have any experience with the product.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

second comment onward - again, just what i read:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/t...rmance-preview
Old 09-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What problem? You're just using it wrong.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #69
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:

It is like antennagate is it? If we stand on one foot, hold the phone at arm's length gripped between the first and third fingers - it will work out we we are?

I just spent a typical Sunday - visiting relatives, lunching with children, trying out a new restaurant. As a test, I tried to have the new app direct us to each of our destinations. It failed in each case. It is not overblown, it is screwed. Totally screwed. I imagine that Apple will rush a fix, and I also imagine that like many of Apples's fixes, the first couple won't quite solve the problem. They need a way to roll back to the OS5 app, you know, the one from Google, the one that works.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #70
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
It looks like iPhone 5 has another bug, or rather feature. It seems that all it takes is to plug in an AT&T SIM into a Verizon iPhone 5 and you are up an running on the AT&T network. Apparently Apple forgot to SIM lock the Verizon iPhone 5.

Quote:
It's the first time Verizon iPhones have been able to access AT&T's network without complicated hacking procedures. The feature gives Verizon customers the option to switch carriers rather than renewing an expired contract.
Link
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #71
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Quote:
It's the first time Verizon iPhones have been able to access AT&T's network without complicated hacking procedures. The feature gives Verizon customers the option to switch carriers rather than renewing an expired contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It looks like iPhone 5 has another bug, or rather feature. It seems that all it takes is to plug in an AT&T SIM into a Verizon iPhone 5 and you are up an running on the AT&T network. Apparently Apple forgot to SIM lock the Verizon iPhone 5.

Link
This is becoming more and more amusing.
The only thing that could be much better would be if the phone battery got so hot that the users had to wear an OVEN GLOVE to hold the Apple 5.

See another "Steve Jobs" fix. Just hold it right. (Maybe inf front of the destination.) "Oh, there it is. Apple's mapping was right."

"Yes Apple now provides multi-carrier solutions at the same time."

This is going to be a good Sunday. I need an Apple fan to talk to.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #72
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It seems that all it takes is to plug in an AT&T SIM into a Verizon iPhone 5 and you are up an running on the AT&T network.
Not a bug or a secret. Good business. Done on Purpose. Here is importance:

Quote:
When contacted about the matter, Verizon confirmed to him that the device was indeed fully unlocked.

This is a tremendous boon to US customers, who have in the past had to argue long and hard for the privilege of detaching their iPhones from their primary carrier's network.
So...done by Verizon, and a GOOD thing.

Quote:
Verizon's unlocked-out-of-the-box stance frees their customers from having to essentially ask permission from their carrier (or resort to complex jailbreaking plus unlocking shenanigans) to use their devices abroad, or to take their devices to another carrier when their contract time is up.

Coupled with the AT&T iPhone 5's limited LTE frequency range, this is yet another reason to recommend new prospective buyers look at picking up an iPhone from Verizon instead of AT&T—if you don't like the Verizon service, you can always pop in an AT&T SIM and switch back to the other carrier.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...ne-5-unlocked/
Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #73
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I imagine that Apple will rush a fix, and I also imagine that like many of Apples's fixes, the first couple won't quite solve the problem. They need a way to roll back to the OS5 app, you know, the one from Google, the one that works.
I suspect they are in this for 'the long haul'.

You will probably have to use Waze or one of the other GPS mapping apps on the market until it gets to where you want it to be. Or until Google decides to release its own app into the market.

If Apple allows Waze, there's no reason to not allow Google Maps. Google just needs to build and release it.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #74
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Not a bug or a secret. Good business. Done on Purpose.
Well actually, no, it is not good business for Verizon, but obviously good business for Apple, in the short term possibly. If it was "done on purpose" then Apple is crippling their customer's business advantage "on purpose". A SIM locked phone encourages a customer to continue their Verizon contract when it expires, but a phone without a SIM lock encourages a customer to shop service providers. So, good for the customer, and bad for Verizon.

Your Ars Technica article was most notable for it's lack of evidence to support your claim that Verizon ordered the phones that way. Whereas the USA Today link had this to say about Verizon's position on the matter.

Quote:
Verizon Wireless referred questions about the SIM card feature to Apple, which did not respond.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #75
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

columnist:

Quote:
iOS 6.0’s new Maps app’s has two major new features: turn-by-turn navigation and 3D flyover maps of major cities. Both of these work great, and they add plenty of value to the iPhone.
Quote:
And now, sadly, it’s time for me to take the tone of the room down a bit. Apple’s points of interest database is so incomplete and so inaccurate that many of iOS 6 Maps’ most useful features are completely unreliable.

Its map database isn’t perfect either. But if you plug in a street address, you can pretty much count on Maps taking you to the actual corresponding map location, via streets that probably actually exist. Just don’t ask it to find a location without an address.
Quote:
The app itself is lovely. The POI database is trouble, but that’s way off on a server. Apple and its partners can keep fixing and augmenting it day after day and week after week as more people use the service.
Quote:
The stakes for Apple are pretty high with this new edition of Maps. For a couple of years now, Android’s best-in-class baked-in navigation tools have been its one inarguable advantage over iOS. iOS 6 Maps is, alas, a step backward, not forward.

Nonetheless, the overall form and clarity of the Maps app, plus its tight integration into the rest of the iPhone experience, is ample reason to settle into your seats and hang in there for the late innings of this game.
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...452/story.html