Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
AmandaF
AmandaF began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Red face Having Some Kobo Vox Issues, Can Anyone Help?

Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with some issues I'm having.

I received a Kobo Vox E-reader earlier today and I can't tell if it's charging or not. My instructions say there should be a battery indicator to let you know if it's charging and there isn't. My screen is completely black and there's a solid orange light at the top that isn't blinking. I've had my device plugged in for about four or so hours.

The other issue I'm having is the Wi-fi set up. It refuses to connect. My Family's wireless is password protected(And It's D-Link, I don't know if that makes a difference.), and whenever I enter the password the Vox says that it's unable to connect to the wireless network.

I've tried almost everything to fix this issue. I've rebooted the device multiple times, I've pried off the black quilted back and reset the device, I've let the device sit on it's own to charge for about two hours, and tried using the charger that belongs with my blackberry torch(It fits into the Vox better than the Vox charger).

I've called the Kobo tech support twice, and they were no help at all, so now I'm completly out of ideas, and I'm hoping that someone here can help me
AmandaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
The orange indicator means it's charging. It should turn green when charged.

The wifi issue is troubling, assuming you are entering the password correctly. The vox does not support wpa enterprise but I assume your wifi is wpa personal?

You could try doing a factory reset. The device must be powered off first. Hold down the volume up button and press the power button. Keep holding the volume up until you see the onscreen instructions for the reset.

[edit]: In terms of the wifi problem, you could try rebooting your router.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 12-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
AmandaF

Thanks for Your Help the light is green now, so it's fully charged.

I am most definitely entering my Wi-Fi password correctly Ummm, my Wi-fi says "Secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK" so I'm not sure If that's the same as just WPA.

I tried following your instructions for the factory reset. I held down the buttons for two minutes and no instructions came up.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Full instructions for the reset are here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157880

Your wifi security should be fine. Try rebooting your router.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
jsokal
jsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsjsokal can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: vox
Hi,
On the router, is the MAC address filtering on? If so you will have to add the MAC address of the Vox to the list.
When entering the passkey, be carefull, it is case sensitive.
Also check if the router DHCP server is on otherwise you will have to assign a static IP address to the vox.
jsokal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
AmandaF

Sorry guys, I must sound like such a huge pain with this. I tried the factory thing Mr_Nobody, and it made the Vox faster, which is nice, but other than that I'm still stuck.

And I'm totally clueless with all this Wi-fi stuff. What exactly is 'Mac address filtering'? and how do I know if it's on?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Basically, all of the things that jsokal suggest will be found in the configuration of your router. There may be settings there that are preventing the vox from connecting.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
AmandaF

Okay, I'll check into all that right now

One more thing, I don't know if this makes a difference. My Vox just connected really quick, then it said "Remembered", then "Disabled", now won't connect again.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Oh, the other thing you can try on the vox is get it to forget the settings for your network. If you're disconnected and you click the entry for your network, it will give you a "Forget" option.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
AmandaF

I Haven't Gotten A 'Forget' Option Yet. But It Is Forgetting The Settings Because It Keeps Asking Me For My Password.

I Tried All The Router Stuff And It's Still A No Go. Thanks For All Your Help Guys.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaF View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with some issues I'm having.

I received a Kobo Vox E-reader earlier today and I can't tell if it's charging or not. My instructions say there should be a battery indicator to let you know if it's charging and there isn't. My screen is completely black and there's a solid orange light at the top that isn't blinking. I've had my device plugged in for about four or so hours.

The other issue I'm having is the Wi-fi set up. It refuses to connect. My Family's wireless is password protected(And It's D-Link, I don't know if that makes a difference.), and whenever I enter the password the Vox says that it's unable to connect to the wireless network.

I've tried almost everything to fix this issue. I've rebooted the device multiple times, I've pried off the black quilted back and reset the device, I've let the device sit on it's own to charge for about two hours, and tried using the charger that belongs with my blackberry torch(It fits into the Vox better than the Vox charger).

I've called the Kobo tech support twice, and they were no help at all, so now I'm completly out of ideas, and I'm hoping that someone here can help me
We just had an issue this week while my oldest daughter was visiting with her 3 devices...it caused us to go over the number of connections the router would allow and so a couple of devices just would not connect. I went into the router's configuration and upped the quantity of ip addresses and that solved the problem.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
From the other thread, unless that was you too, have you tried resetting your router?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
About the router, which model D-Link is it? I put in a D-Link DIR-615 when my son came to live here so he could use his netbook. It's not the cheapest, it has 2 antennas, but he still couldn't get a good signal in every part of the house. I had to make reflectors for the antennas and stick the router up above the basement ceiling. There's a steel beam and heating duct that runs the length of the house, which doesn't help. Had I known, I would have spent $80 on a router instead of $40. However, when I got the Vox, I had no problem getting the WiFi to work. All anyone visiting with a tablet or laptop needs to know is the network name and password and they have no trouble getting the WiFi.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
AmandaF

Thanks For All Your Suggestions Guys.

I've Reset My Router Three Times And It Hasn't Helped.

@Cdesja5:This Actually Sounds Like It Could Be The Problem! Thank You So Much. Now I Just Have To Figure Out How To Do It.

@oldyellr: I Have A WBR-2310 Router. I've Never Had This Issue With Any Of My Other Electronics Before.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
AmandaF

@Cdesja5:THANK YOU SO MUCH! That Was My Issue! I'm All Connected Now.

Thanks To Everyone That Gave Me Suggestions. I Really Appreciate It.