Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #151
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
The library systems could give the authors the same amount of money per loan but allow many simultaneous loans?
I know. But it would mean fewer books sold directly to readers, for the reason stated here. I don't think ebooks and paper books are the same thing and the same rules don't necessarily apply, but in this case I get the analogy. The same deterrent to borrowing paper books, long waitlists, must be mighty tempting!

And no matter what, I'll never be persuaded that the alternative to artificial scarcity, piracy, is a moral option.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #152
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
For me, it's mostly the fact that all the books I wanna read have a Waiting List, and so when the book finally becomes available, it's like I'm not under a time crunch to either finish what I'm currently reading or drop it to read the thing that I was waiting to check out.

I don't think I used to have this problem when I was physically checking books out from a library. I think it might be a consequence of Overdrive's digital lending causing the average wait time for a book to be over six weeks, as opposed to like a week when I was checking out books from a small-town library.

Last edited by Cactus Chef; 10-16-2023 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #153
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We don't view piracy as a benign activity here; please don't present it as such.
From what I got, that user wasn't presenting it as benign. They used to do bad stuff and saw the light. Though maybe I misread it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:45 AM   #154
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem (as I see it) is that you get 21-days to finish an eBook. Most people don't return an eBook if they've finished before the 21-days and it just sits there waiting to expire. Overdrive should make people learn about early returns when they first sign into Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
From what I got, that user wasn't presenting it as benign. They used to do bad stuff and saw the light. Though maybe I misread it.
I got the same impression. Used to pirate but no longer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2023, 09:01 AM   #156
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem (as I see it) is that you get 21-days to finish an eBook. Most people don't return an eBook if they've finished before the 21-days and it just sits there waiting to expire. Overdrive should make people learn about early returns when they first sign into Overdrive.
As soon as you turn the last page of a book in Libby, there's a bold prompt "Return Loan to Library". Tapping that is the easiest route back to your Shelf.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #157
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As soon as you turn the last page of a book in Libby, there's a bold prompt "Return Loan to Library". Tapping that is the easiest route back to your Shelf.
Ditto on Kobo ereaders where finishing a library book give you a Return early popup. Tap on it, wait for the preview to finish downloading and it's done.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #158
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How the heck are the rights' holders going to get paid otherwise? The "piracy model" you engaged in is dishonest. We don't view piracy as a benign activity here; please don't present it as such.
Your reading comprehension seems to have missed that he USED to pirate but doesn't anymore:
"I used to pirate the majority of my ebooks, but have since started using ebooks.com, globalgreyebooks.com, and standardebooks.org."
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #159
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Libraries are essentially "I can't believe it's not piracy".

Is it really moral to check out a library book if you can afford to buy it?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-18-2023 at 01:10 PM.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:08 PM   #160
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Your reading comprehension seems to have missed that he USED to pirate but doesn't anymore:
"I used to pirate the majority of my ebooks, but have since started using ebooks.com, globalgreyebooks.com, and standardebooks.org."
Hmm... that post does not say that they no longer pirate any ebooks. What it does say is that they no longer pirate the majority of them. That could easily be parsed to mean that where they once pirated 10 books for every one legally obtained, they now now pirate 4 ebooks for every 10 legally obtained. It could mean that they no longer pirate any ebooks but that is not what was stated.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 01:49 PM   #161
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... that post does not say that they no longer pirate any ebooks. What it does say is that they no longer pirate the majority of them. That could easily be parsed to mean that where they once pirated 10 books for every one legally obtained, they now now pirate 4 ebooks for every 10 legally obtained. It could mean that they no longer pirate any ebooks but that is not what was stated.
You're right! I guess MY reading comprehension should be improved.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:33 AM   #162
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Is it really moral to check out a library book if you can afford to buy it?
They're not free. You pay taxes to support your local library, who (I believe) pay royalties to author. (At least I think that's the way it works. I hope authors get paid something when eBooks are borrowed from the library.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:39 AM   #163
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They're not free. You pay taxes to support your local library, who (I believe) pay royalties to author. (At least I think that's the way it works. I hope authors get paid something when eBooks are borrowed from the library.)
Libraries do not pay the authors royalties. Royalties are paid to the author by the publisher.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:27 AM   #164
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
And some purchase a library card.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:32 AM   #165
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Libraries do not pay the authors royalties. Royalties are paid to the author by the publisher.
Apache
I believe in some locales (U.K.), the authors do get paid per checkout.

In the U.S., I believe that for the big publishers, the libraries purchase a license (which the the author may get some percent) with a set number of checkouts. I don't believe the author gets anything for each checkout, they may get something when a license is purchased.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote