Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your favorite K3 typeface?
Regular 23 29.49%
Condensed 14 17.95%
Sans Serif 26 33.33%
Have not settled on one 8 10.26%
Waiting for font hack 7 8.97%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Which K3 typeface do you like best?

I find all three are better than the one on my K2, but I have pretty much abandoned 'Regular' in favor of Condensed or Sans Serif. I especially like Sans Serif in landscape mode, size 1 or 2 with words per line set to Fewest.

I'm also curious if anyone feels a need for a font hack for K3. With the expanded unicode support, choice of 3 typefaces, and (to my eyes at least) noticeably sharper letter forms, is there still enough motivation (assuming someone figures out how to do it)?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I voted for sans serif, but I would definitely prefer to use my own choice of fonts. I did not chose the "waiting for a font hack" because it seems out of place with the other choices.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I still prefer the regular font despite the extra choice and I absolutely loathe the sans serif font eugh!

I'm happy not to have any other font choices as I don't want to spend all my time fiddling with changing things - I just want to get on and read!

With my Pocketbook 360 I actually came to dislike the fact that I could use any font I wanted and that it could be customised to the nth degree because I just wasted too much time fiddling. Too much choice isn't always a good thing!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I like the condensed one. My least favourite is the Sans-serif

Last edited by shanghaichica; 09-06-2010 at 02:38 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Regular. Sans-serif just looks ugly to me.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Sans serif is my favorite because it is easy on my eyes.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'm still loading my books from an USB-stick on Calibre---gather metadata- sent them one by one to my Kindle (untill I discovered you can sent the whole batch at one time)- organizing the books in different collections, so I didn't have time yet for a font.
But I think to opt for Sans Serif, when I'm finally done with my books.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
mcgrath
mcgrath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I've been messing around with the fonts and sizes ever since I received my K3 and I finally settled on condensed. The regular caecilia font looked too "happy" to me. I'm not sure if that bothers anyone else, but it seemed weird reading books with a serious or sad tone that were using a font akin to comic sans (ok, I know it's not that bad, but you get the point). But after spending some time with the Kindle I don't really notice the font as much as I did in the beginning. It would be nice to have a font hack, though.

Edit: Maybe I wasn't too far-off comparing caecilia to comic sans.

Last edited by mcgrath; 09-06-2010 at 03:10 PM.
mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I use regular on size 1, hate the sans serif font.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I prefer the Condensed, with the Regular it looked like words were merging together, and the Sans Serif seems a bit darker, so for me its Condensed.

More font choices would be lovely though
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath View Post
Edit: Maybe I wasn't too far-off comparing caecilia to comic sans.

I'm not really seeing much similarity really.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
mcgrath
mcgrath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
I'm not really seeing much similarity really.
Really? Maybe it's just me.

mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast

Well the show stopper for me is the hand drawn look of Comic Sans, unless you have that in another font, I find it hard to accept them as similar.

You'd have an easier time convincing me the bottom two fonts were similar.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I loathe Caecilia as a body font. I associate slab serif with headlines and signage, not reading. And Caecilia is particularly round, so I also think it is a "happy" font, but more like Courier than Comic Sans. Comic Sans is an abomination that doesn't deserve to exist, IMHO.

Caeciia Condensed looks like it might be marginally better, but I'm reserving judgement until I see a Kindle at Target or Staples.

I suspect Amazon went with slab serif fonts because they have nice crisp lines, which probably display stronger on E-Ink.

But until the Font Hack is working on Kindle 3, I won't even give it a look. My Cybook can use any font, and I love reading with Arno Pro or Georgia. I prefer serifs for blocks of text.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Can we change fonts in the K3 without a hack? Are they built in? I cannot find them on mine.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote