Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
irrationalJohn
irrationalJohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Error: Failed to check database integrity in v0.7.16

Update:

For those who are curious, I use Calibre with both Windows 7 (on a GA-965P-DS3 based PC) and OS X 10.6.4 (on an early 2008 white MacBook). The fact I can use it on both platforms is one of the reasons I'm "test driving" Calibre.

The errors reported below occurred when using Win 7. If it matters I could try to duplicate them with the OS X flavor of Calibre.

The database/library is shared via my local LAN by storing it on a PogoPlug/Dockstar device. FWIW, I get the same errors if I copy the library to a local hard drive on the PC. I'm not sure what sort of corruption the database has, but it is annoying to not be able to "fix" it.

I've been trying out Calibre trying decide whether I love, like, or hate it. At the moment, I'm learning towards I like it when it works.

I recently installed v0.7.16. I have also recently started getting errors that something is wrong with (at least) one of my Calibre databases. I have no idea is there is any connection.

Below are the error messages I am receiving when (1) trying to check the database integrity and (2) when trying to close the Preferences dialog window, respectively.

I have no idea what to do next other than to delete and re-add everything. I do not want to do that and hope there is another way to recover from this.

Code:
ERROR: Error: Failed to check database integrity

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 964, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2055, in check_integrity
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 769, in clean
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 756, in doit
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 202, in run
DatabaseException: Connection closed Remote

Code:
ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: DatabaseException:Connection closed Remote

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 903, in accept
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 789, in apply_custom_column_changes
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 227, in save_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 221, in write_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 51, in set
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 44, in __setitem__
Ooops! Forgot to include the error message I get when I exit/close Calibre.

Code:
ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: DatabaseException:Connection closed Remote

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 569, in closeEvent
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 461, in write_settings
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 258, in save_layout_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 227, in save_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 221, in write_state
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 51, in set
  File "site-packages\calibre\library\prefs.py", line 44, in __setitem__

Last edited by irrationalJohn; 08-29-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added an error msg I forgot about. OS usage info.
irrationalJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrationalJohn View Post
I've been trying out Calibre trying decide whether I love, like, or hate it. At the moment, I'm learning towards I like it when it works.

I recently installed v0.7.16. I have also recently started getting errors that something is wrong with (at least) one of my Calibre databases. I have no idea is there is any connection.

Below are the error messages I am receiving when (1) trying to check the database integrity and (2) when trying to close the Preferences dialog window, respectively.

I have no idea what to do next other than to delete and re-add everything. I do not want to do that and hope there is another way to recover from this.
Welcome !

Someone will be along that can help with this "more than a simple" error.

You might mention what operating system(and version) you use.
You can uninstall -> re-install Calibre, it leaves the Database file intact, just point it to the same place when asked.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Karma to you for saying it so I didn't have to. Reading minds can be so very tiresome.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
irrationalJohn

Quote:
I updated my original post to include that I use Calibre on both Windows 7 and OS X 10.6.4.

Quote:
You can uninstall -> re-install Calibre, it leaves the Database file intact, just point it to the same place when asked.
I'm not sure what this would buy me. The problem appears to be that the database is corrupted. Uninstalling and then re-installing Calibre would not fix this, would it?

-irrational john
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your database is corrupted, it's corrupted. Restore it from a backup, or start again.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
irrationalJohn

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If your database is corrupted, it's corrupted. Restore it from a backup, or start again.
I sort of expected you might at least be curious as to HOW the database got corrupted. After all, I believe the only way this could have happened would be because Calibre had/has a bug.

What I hear you saying is that if I'm having problems using Calibre I should just stop trying. <sigh>

-irrational john
Old 08-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm not curious. calibre is used by over a million users. It's database code is over four years old and in all that time I've never encountered a bug that leads to a database that is so corrupted that it cannot be opened.

If you have a corrupted database, you corrupted it.

It seems like you are just looking for an excuse not to use calibre. Please don't use it, no one is asking you to.

Now if you had asked nicely I might have asked you to send me the db file and I'd see if I could fix it for you, but you seem to be laboring under the misapprehension tat I actually want you to be using calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre database