Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
PDF annotation yet again

I tried searching some threads, but didn't get as clear an answer as I would like....
Is there ANY way to annotate multi-column (like a scientific journal article) PDF's on a DX? Can you convert it into someother format, for instance, and then annotate? I've seen some posts referring to being able to annotate PDF's with their K3's. If this is true, it seems like you should be able to do so on the DX????

ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I tried searching some threads, but didn't get as clear an answer as I would like....
Is there ANY way to annotate multi-column (like a scientific journal article) PDF's on a DX? Can you convert it into someother format, for instance, and then annotate? I've seen some posts referring to being able to annotate PDF's with their K3's. If this is true, it seems like you should be able to do so on the DX????

The PDF annotation features are only on K3 at present. It remains to be seen if there will be an update to add this to earlier models - or any updates for previous models for that matter. Amazon is only now getting K3's software squared away (3rd round of updates is in preview/beta), which has to be their top priority.

Even so, the annotations are only readable by a Kindle. In other words, they do not utilize the PDF annotation layer, so you could not copy the PDF back to your computer and view these annotations, or share them with someone without a Kindle.

You can try to convert the PDF to Kindle format, and annotate the converted file. Even in the best case you would not retain any of the formatting or page numbering (2 columns etc.), just content. These annotations are only viewable on a Kindle (or Kindle app). If the PDF is not properly tagged, the results of conversion may not be very usable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
sloppy sloppy
PDF conversion is only decent if you don't need images (or the iamges don't contain text)
If that's the case, you can export the document as text with acrobat reader, or as HTML with acrobat pro/extended and then convert to mobi. Text should flow with body and be converted from columns into paragraphs. Side columns will follow.

It's not ideal to convert unless the document is simple. Give it a shot, see how you like it.

I also have DX and am somewhat put off by the lack of PDF features =X
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The PDF annotation features are only on K3 at present..
So not on the new DX model??? I'm fine with just notes for my own purposes (i.e. only readable on my own device). Mostly I annotate things like knitting patterns or journal articles to jog my own memory. No heavy-lifting editing or research that somebody else needs to see or that needs to be on my computer or something.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote