Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What do we want from searching?
Jump to Next/Previous occurance of specified string 42 62.69%
A List of all occurrences (nice to have) 10 14.93%
A List of all occurrences (gotta have it) 4 5.97%
A List of all occurrences with page #s (nice to have) 10 14.93%
A List of all occurrences with page #s (gotta have it) 0 0%
A List of all occurrences with surrounding words (nice to have) 9 13.43%
A List of all occurrences with surrounding words (gotta have it) 8 11.94%
I’d like to have a dictionary word lookup function 22 32.84%
I’ve gotta have a dictionary word lookup function 8 11.94%
I want something REALLY complicated and involved from a search, and I want it to happen instantly! 1 1.49%
~ 3 seconds is okay for most searches 8 11.94%
~ 5 seconds is okay for most searches 16 23.88%
~ 10 seconds is okay for most searches 10 14.93%
~ 15 seconds is okay for most searches 1 1.49%
~ 20 seconds is okay for most searches 8 11.94%
I don’t care how long as long as it returns what I want to see 7 10.45%
I don’t have a dog in this hunt, I just want to see the poll results 3 4.48%
(newly added) Repeat last search 24 35.82%
(newly added) Whole word only option 20 29.85%
(newly added) Case sensitive option 14 20.90%
(newly added) I don't want a search function 8 11.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2006, 04:32 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong7
With an e-reader you can't really fan through pages looking for underlined text (not that you can even underline in Sony).
But you can bookmark pages, and easily go to any bookmark. Isn't that effectively what you want to do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #62
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I would like to have searching, but I don't need it. Still, it would honestly depend on what I have on the device. If I have technical books, then yes. If I have fiction and entertainment non-fiction, then no.

Although, there was this one latin phrase I was looking for in The Handmaid's Tale...
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 AM   #63
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I see no logical reason to add search to "this" reader. now if new hardware was design with it in mind sure but the current hardware is very ANTI nice to a search function

First its too slow. the speed is fine for me for what it does but would drive me BATTY doing a search.

Second how would you enter it ? the easiest way I could think of would be cell phone style since we have the 10 digits. ie texting style (pain)

anything I need to search on (nothing yet) I would just put on my zodiac.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:06 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
First its too slow. the speed is fine for me for what it does but would drive me BATTY doing a search.

Second how would you enter it ? the easiest way I could think of would be cell phone style since we have the 10 digits. ie texting style (pain)

anything I need to search on (nothing yet) I would just put on my zodiac.
It's only the screen refresh that's slow, and that's fundamental to the current generation of "e-Ink" screens. I believe that the CPU would be perfectly well up to the task of doing searches.

You would, as you say, need some type of on-screen keyboard to enter text. Something along the lines of SMS entry on mobile phones would perhaps be reasonable to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote