Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
dianethomas
dianethomas began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Reader hangs while transferring files

I fully charge my Reader before I connect it to my PC and download files. After downloading, the status window tells me that the files are done transferring, yet the Reader tells me that it is still transferring and not to disconnect. It can stay in this state for several hours. If I lose patience and disconnect, I can't navigate.
How long is it taking everyone else to transfer files?
dianethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After the "status" tells you it's done transferring, it should be all right to disconnect. You can close the CONNECT App, if you are concerned that the Reader may not be ready. One the CONNECT App is closed, you should see the "do not disconnect" sign on the Reader disappear, and you should be able to disconnect. If after you have disconnected you cannot navigate any buttons, you may want to delete the ebooks. Sometimes a corrupt ebook file could hang the Reader software. If the Reader buttons can never be navigated, you may have to call the warranty.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
dianethomas

Thanks for the quick reply.

I closed the App and everything works fine now.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, this is one of the more obnoxious oversights in the Connect software. No big deal once you know about it, but it's obnoxious.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I had this problem also as well as the Connect software title bar changing to (not responding) as if the program was hanging. I saw this mostly when moving large amounts (15 Meg +) of books to a memory stick. I found if I clicked to read the memory stick on the connect software and it did not refresh then the files were still converting/moving. Once I clicked on th memory stick and it refreshed with all the new files I knew it was finished and could close the Connect software to disconnect. Also if the new files appered in the connect software but the Reader showed Invalad File triange a reset of the Reader cleared that problem up.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
dianethomas

After starting this thread, I found the solution buried somewhere on the Sony troubleshooting Website. It seems like closing the application is counter-intuitive and would make things worse if the Reader were having trouble transferring files. I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed. In the meantime, the Reader documentation should be specific about how to transfer files by stating that you should check the status to make sure that your files are finished transferring. Then you should close the application in order for the status on the Reader to change.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianethomas
After starting this thread, I found the solution buried somewhere on the Sony troubleshooting Website. It seems like closing the application is counter-intuitive and would make things worse if the Reader were having trouble transferring files. I think this is a bug that needs to be fixed. In the meantime, the Reader documentation should be specific about how to transfer files by stating that you should check the status to make sure that your files are finished transferring. Then you should close the application in order for the status on the Reader to change.
Following that line of thought, if the application is smart enough to show a symbol if transfers are in progress, then it should be smart enough to warn you with a dialog if you try to close the app before the transfer is done. Then it's no longer the user's burden to remember to check the status before closing.

It would be nice if the Reader screen when connected showed either:
* "Transfer in progress: Do not disconnect cable." or
* "Reader is connected, but not transferring data. Okay to disconnect cable."
depending on the Reader status.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Actually, Reader does show that. When transferring, the status line at the bottom says "Transferring files..." and the icon in the middle get the stop sign. When it's not transferring, it just says "USB connected" and there is no stop icon. In the latter case you can disconnect the cable safely.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

So, you just didn't notice it was still transferring and by closing the app you forced the crash? Is that what you're saying?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
Actually, Reader does show that. When transferring, the status line at the bottom says "Transferring files..." and the icon in the middle get the stop sign. When it's not transferring, it just says "USB connected" and there is no stop icon. In the latter case you can disconnect the cable safely.
I don't believe that's the case. My experience is that you get the "Stop" sign and the "Transferring Files - Do not disconnect" message whenever the "Connect" application is running on the PC, regardless of whether or not files are actually being transferred at the time. It only changes to "USB Connected" when you exit the "Connect" program.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's what I see too, HarryT.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Oops indeed you're right. I confused it with my ebook.py script
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Lil
Lil began at the beginning.

Question Help! Can't unfreeze or disconnect

I just downloaded two books from my computer to my Sony Reader (after downloading them to my computer first). When I try to unplug from the computer - (it says "USB connected") - I get the menu on the Reader, but I can't do anything - can't use arrow keys, number keys, etc. I also can't turn it off. I've tried it a few times...connecting/reconnecting/trying power button. (When I first started the process, I got the Do not Disconnect while transferring" message (or something like that) for quite a long time. Where do I go from here - how do I unfreeze? Thanks.
Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Lil, Try plugging the reader back in to your computer, exit the connect software (if it is on - otherwise start it & then exit), then unplug the reader. Maybe this will work. Others have had a similar problem if they unplug while the connect software is still open. Hope this helps.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Lil
Lil began at the beginning.

Question

Just tried it (plugged reader in, turned on E connect, turned off E connect, disconnected E reader. Same problem. Can't turn off E reader, or get it to respond in any way. Would the reset button on the back do anything (or will it wipe everything out, so I would have to do everything over again?) Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Lil is offline   Reply With Quote