Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Piracy or Not Piracy and Why

First question:
If you have a book in hand, that you own, can you legally obtain a digital copy of that book. Keep in mind that the books content's may or may not be from the Public domain.

Next question:
What is then, assuming that you can not legally do the above, what is the purpose of Scribd. Scribd not only sells books, it offers sundry other printed items some of which are books for download. Now, keep in mind that a good portion of that appears to be original content, which is fun to explore. However a lot of the content appears to be scans from other people's book collections, many of these appear to be of the 30-40 year old vintage (i.e. Old Harlequins) some of these books made available are current books that can be purchased on Sony, Fictionwise, etc. Under what circumstances can they be downloaded, legally.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Since copyright violation is a civil matter, you can take advantage of these books until the copyright owner asks you to stop or sues you for damages. I don't suggest you post any, since the poster is usually the one they sue. Information may want to be free, but IP owners wish to keep it bottled up.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
What is then, assuming that you can not legally do the above, what is the purpose of Scribd. Scribd not only sells books, it offers sundry other printed items some of which are books for download. Now, keep in mind that a good portion of that appears to be original content, which is fun to explore. However a lot of the content appears to be scans from other people's book collections, many of these appear to be of the 30-40 year old vintage (i.e. Old Harlequins) some of these books made available are current books that can be purchased on Sony, Fictionwise, etc. Under what circumstances can they be downloaded, legally.
None, if they are in copyright in your country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Might be a moot point now/soon. Scribd seems to be changing it's ways.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since that is the case what is the purpose of Scribd and like sites.
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has legitimate uses, although unfortunately it is also used for illicit purposes.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Ideally, the purpose of Scribd is to allow people to self-publish any e-book or text they want. Naturally, people use this for many legit purposes (e.g. publishing a book they wrote, or a public domain book) and others do not (e.g. violating copyrights).

Scribd now has a deal with Simon & Schuster, so they are trying to clean up their act.

Also, I don't know if you have a specific legal right to convert a paper book to an e-book form. However it's not really an issue unless you try to share and/or sell the digital copies you make.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Tattncat
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Ideally, the purpose of Scribd is to allow people to self-publish any e-book or text they want. Naturally, people use this for many legit purposes (e.g. publishing a book they wrote, or a public domain book) and others do not (e.g. violating copyrights).

Scribd now has a deal with Simon & Schuster, so they are trying to clean up their act.

Also, I don't know if you have a specific legal right to convert a paper book to an e-book form. However it's not really an issue unless you try to share and/or sell the digital copies you make.
If I knew how, which at this time I don't;y sole purpose would be for my personal use. I don't even sell my old P-books. I donate them to the library.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
If I knew how, which at this time I don't;y sole purpose would be for my personal use. I don't even sell my old P-books. I donate them to the library.
Do it yourself book digitizing.
Mobile Read Wiki

Book Ripper

I'm planning on trying the book ripper method myself on some of my older books.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
First questions: if it's not public domain, chances are you are breaching copyright laws by transferring it to an electronic medium. Most countries have fair use clauses so you may be able to copy a couple of pages for educational use. If it's public domain, copy away!!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I wonder, if you had a photographic memory, would you violate copyright by reading a book since you would be making a copy (into your memory) of the book?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yes and you are required to place your head on your router so Amazon can delete the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I wonder, if you had a photographic memory, would you violate copyright by reading a book since you would be making a copy (into your memory) of the book?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
First questions: if it's not public domain, chances are you are breaching copyright laws by transferring it to an electronic medium. Most countries have fair use clauses so you may be able to copy a couple of pages for educational use. If it's public domain, copy away!!
Not in Australia. So go crazy with format shifting.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
First questions: if it's not public domain, chances are you are breaching copyright laws by transferring it to an electronic medium....
You may be right, but I'm not entirely sure this is correct. As far as I know, for example, it is completely legal to convert a CD (or vinyl record) into a compressed audio format for your personal use. It would be illegal to resell the song or to distribute it without authorization, though. I don't know if there is specific legislation anywhere targeting the digitization of books for personal use.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
You may be right, but I'm not entirely sure this is correct. As far as I know, for example, it is completely legal to convert a CD (or vinyl record) into a compressed audio format for your personal use.
Depends where you live. It's not legal to do that in the UK, technically speaking, even for a CD which you perfectly legitimately own, although nobody has ever been prosecuted for it. Just a case of the law not keeping up with the "real world".