Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
FreakyT
FreakyT began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle (maybe)
Maps on Kindle 2?

Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a Kindle, but from what I've read Google Maps works on the Kindle 1 but not the 2...

Does anyone know if there's any way at all to get maps on the Kindle 2?

Thanks!
FreakyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There are maps for the Kindle. Rand-Mcnally made one, even:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...cnally&x=0&y=0
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Google maps works; it's just the auto-gps location doesn't.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Google maps does work, but I'm not a fan on Kindle.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
It's not a swiss knife, not even a swiss knindle...
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Rand McNally Kindle maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There are maps for the Kindle. Rand-Mcnally made one, even:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...cnally&x=0&y=0
I did the one customer-review there for the Northern California one.
It was fairly disastrous as a useful 'road' map but some people did some nice work on map clarity and movement, such as it was for the Kindle 1. Very awkward, and there was no overlap between sections of the maps.

For me, it was more like a bird-eye's view and not a road map.

The southern California reviews are unhappy ones. The Washington reviewer apparently (in my view) just gave it a brief look, to post what he did.

I have history and travel books on my Kindle, and maps look a lot better with the Kindle 2 though.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
infosprt
infosprt began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, HTC8100, Kindle 2, iPad
My website seems to be getting some traction with Kindle users. The site is http://www.kindlemap.net .

With the new Kindle 3 and its support of the webkit browser and the better contrast screen it should be more usable. at&t is providing better coverage for 3g and that helps as well.
infosprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
kinstant
for Kindle-friendly sites
kinstant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you're on a Kindle 3 and looking for driving directions, I'd humbly suggest http://kinstant.com/maps
kinstant is offline   Reply With Quote