Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
Huckleberry Finn's Anniversary

Today marks the 124th anniversary of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn. As a bit of a celebration I thought I'd post a link to a short story I published in the April, 2008 edition of Why Vandalism?

My first published work, this story centers around Huckleberry Finn as an old, retired Indian fighter.

I’ve always believed that Huck was ultimately a tragic figure, set apart from the society that would accept him by the truths he’d learned on the Mississippi, but still too roughly bred for the society that would agree. I envisioned a tired and beaten down man who’d long ago taken up the bottle his father had found solace in.

You can read the story online here.

Douglas Allen Rhodes

DouglasAllenRhodes.com
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Douglas, thanks for the link to your story. I respect you for tackling both the subject and the dialect, which I thought you handled well. I'm not from the deep south, but nothing rang really false for me as I read.

Also, thanks for calling our attention to Huck's anniversary.

Congratulations on being published. It's great to have authors hangin' out on MobileRead.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Douglas Rhodes
Connoisseur
Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Douglas Rhodes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Storm, laptop
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the piece.
Douglas Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ahhh, yes. I bought your novel, "Sex and Murder," from Fictionwise. For those who don't know, this is a book about depravity, violence, and craziness. The protagonist is a wonderful killing machine. I LOVED IT!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote