Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Ford, Ford Madox: Parade's End (Tetralogy). V2. 27 Mar 2014

Parade's End (Tetralogy)
by Ford Madox Ford (1924 thru 1928)

Ford Madox Ford (17 December 1873 – 26 June 1939), born Ford Hermann Hueffer was an English novelist, poet, critic and editor whose journals, The English Review and The Transatlantic Review, were instrumental in the development of early 20th-century English literature. He is now best remembered for The Good Soldier (1915), the Parade's End tetralogy (1924–28) and The Fifth Queen trilogy (1906–08).

Parade's End was published in four parts between 1924 and 1928. This extraordinary tetralogy centers on Christopher Tietjens, an officer and a gentleman—“the last English Tory”—and follows him from the secure, orderly world of Edwardian England into the chaotic madness of the First World War. Against the backdrop of a world at war, Ford recounts the complex sexual warfare between Tietjens and his faithless wife, Sylvia.

The books:
Some Do Not
No More Parades
A Man Could Stand Up
The Last Post

Notes:
I originally uploaded the first three books as three separate files a couple of months ago. Since then I've obtained a copy of the fourth book, The Last Post, and decided to compile a single ebook containing all four books of this tetralogy. To avoid confusion I deleted the other epub/mobi versions.

Some improvements (hopefully) have been made during the proofing process, including the addition of 'curly' double quotes, ellipses (precomposed glyphs), em-dashes and a TOC. Various typos were corrected along the way.

Update 23 Mar 2014:

I had misplaced the source files for this ebook quite some time ago and was unable to incorporate the corrections given to me by Guildenstern, a fellow mobileread member. As is usual with these things, it was cleverly hidden exactly where I saved it.

This version includes 70+ typographic corrections and sports a new book cover. Due to uncertain copyright I also removed the book covers that were included within the ebook itself.

For the most part the changes are minor but do make for a better reading experience since typos tend to stick out and distract from the flow. My grateful thanks to Guildenstern for his thorough review of the original ebook and for all the suggestions he made!

(Prev DLs: 2543)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Parade's End - Ford Madox Ford.epub (921.1 KB, 1234 views)

Last edited by GeorgeH; 03-27-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Version 2 uploaded
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
daniel carnehan
daniel carnehan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thank you, as a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch in the TV series, I was looking forward to reading this book, I hope it's not too dense, my english is not what it used to be.
Greetings from Spain
daniel carnehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't watched that series but did see Cumberbatch in Sherlock Holmes and I'm eagerly awaiting the next episodes.

A quick check at IMDB shows that he plays Christopher Tietjens in Parade's End so I'll have to see if it's available on the web somewhere.

I didn't find Parade's End overly dense but as a native english speaker it's difficult for me to judge that. I hope you enjoy the books.

Cheers,
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel carnehan View Post
Thank you, as a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch in the TV series, I was looking forward to reading this book, I hope it's not too dense, my english is not what it used to be.
Greetings from Spain
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Guildenstern
Guildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Thank you, GeorgeH, for making this wonderful sequence of novels available as an EBook.
I watched the recent BBC dramatisation and determined to read the original. The adaptation by Tom Stoppard was masterful but inevitably much was lost, particularly with regard to the many minor characters. Benedict Cumberbatch as Christopher Tietjens gave a performance of considerable depth but to my mind was miscast in the role. Cumberbatch is a handsome young man and although we were told in the publicity that they tried to fatten him up with doughnuts to play the pudgy Tietjens he still looked far too handsome. As Sylvia, Rebecca Hall was quite superb, capturing the contradictory character of the woman whom Graham Green described as “the most possessed evil character in the modern novel”.
This was the first book I read on my new Nook. In getting familiar with its features, I used the Notes facility to compile a list of little errors that seem to have crept through the proofreading process. If, GeorgeH, you would like to receive these, please let me know and I’ll e-mail them to you. (Not sure how. I certainly don’t want to put them on the forum but I’m sure there’s a way.)
Thanks again. This was a great introduction to MobileRead.
Guildenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
GeorgeH
Addict

It was my pleasure, Guildenstern. I too enjoyed reading the series and the tetralogy certainly deserves a home here at MR.

The BBC series had slipped my mind but Ill check to see if it's legally available yet on the Internet. If so perhaps the mods will allow me to post a link to it.

I'm very interested in seeing Cumberbatch's interpretation of Tiejens and since you've mentioned Rebecca Hall, I most definitely want to watch her performance as Sylvia.

Regarding the errata, you can either post them here or if you prefer just click on my name at the left and send me a private message. I believe this thread also allows uploads so it might be possible for you to zip the file and attach it to a message.

Thanks for the kind comments!
George

Edit: Checking with wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade's_End_(TV_series) it seems the series will air on HBO starting on 26 February, 2013, so it's obviously not available yet for casual viewing.

Last edited by GeorgeH; 01-28-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Guildenstern
Guildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toysGuildenstern shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Hi, GeorgeH,
I attach that list of apparent errata. All pretty trivial.
I can't seem to attach them to a private message so I'll use the manage attachments feature with normal posts and hope this works.
Thanks again.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Parade's End Errata.doc (114.5 KB, 491 views)
Guildenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
GeorgeH
Addict

Thank you! I'll incorporate the changes you've noted and upload a copy once I've finished.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
siovale
siovale began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thank you. Watching the series and do wish to read Brown's books.
siovale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
GeorgeH
Addict

Brown's books? I'm not sure which author/books you're referring to. If you meant Tom Brown's school days, they were written by Thomas Hughes and are available at gutenberg.org.

Apologies if I'm off track here

George
Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
GeorgeH
Addict

Version 2 has been uploaded. It includes 70+ typographic corrections, a new book cover and a reworked TOC. Many thanks to Guildenstern for reviewing the original upload and identifying all the errors I had made, it is truly appreciated!