Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Oh, I would also point out that I believe quite a few adults are buying and reading the books .
Absolutely. I was simply making the point that we, as adults, are probably not in a position to pass judgement on the books, since we are not their target audience. If we want to know whether or not a book aimed at teenagers is a success (in terms of its target audience) we need to ask teenagers what their view of it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
The only problem is that the success of THESE books is largely dependent on the adult readers. These could easily be adult books with a bit more detail....which is one of the reasons I like young adult books...they just gloss over stuff that you don't absolutely "need", at least in my experience.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always felt that "Young Adult" is a particularly meaningly phrase. If a book is aimed at 14-year-olds, then (in my view) it's a childrens' book. Let me add that I say that as a big fan of children's books. I have a large collection of turn-of-the-20th-century childrens' books: Tom Swift, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, etc.

That's the category into which I'd place "The Hunger Games"; please do correct me if you disagree.
I never am very clear on what constitutes "young adult" book, but I would not put The Hunger Games in the same category as the Hardy Boys or The Chronicles Narnia. The subject matter (and what happens to the protagonists) is much different and more "adult" in The Hunger Games. I don't think the Hunger Games is necessarily an "adult" book, but considering it a "children's" book is a stretch. It seems like there ought to be a different category for Narnia/HB/ND, etc. (Is there a "young reader" category? I thought I saw a section like that in our library.)

I know I started reading the Narnia books and Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew when I was in 2nd grade. I don't see ever letting a child that young start on the hunger games.

I tend to just categorized books by genre rather than age. So Hunger Games would be sci-fi (or post-apocolyptic/sci-fi depending on how detailed you want to get), Narnia/Hobbit are pretty clearly fantasy, Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew are mystery, etc.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #34
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
To me the YA category allows for topics that most of us consider appropriate for tweens and not single digit ages. I'm thinking of the nuts and bolts of dating. Or a degree of hazard or violence that a younger child might find disturbing. Or drug/alcohol/smoking use, abuse, or debate.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #35
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
With the current 85% off offer from Kobo I bought the first book (for $.83 it's hard to go wrong).
It sounds like most of the posters in this thread would stop there. Does the 85% off change your thinking on books 2 and 3?
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I thought book 2 was better especially for that price. Is the discounted anywhere else?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I thought book 2 was better especially for that price. Is the discounted anywhere else?
Okay, I bought book 2 and I'll blame you for that. . I don't know of any other sites with the discount. Would Amazon price match?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
With the current 85% off offer from Kobo I bought the first book (for $.83 it's hard to go wrong).
It sounds like most of the posters in this thread would stop there. Does the 85% off change your thinking on books 2 and 3?
I just finished listening to the first book yesterday and I definitely want to go on to the second book.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Well mind you, the second book ends on a more definitive cliff hanger than the first book... it might be possible to read the first book on its own and leave it at that (Though the ending is somewhat unsatisfying), but the second book will have you reaching for the third.

I for one did not think the third was a bad book. It definitely has a very different emphasis than the first two.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Well mind you, the second book ends on a more definitive cliff hanger than the first book... it might be possible to read the first book on its own and leave it at that (Though the ending is somewhat unsatisfying), but the second book will have you reaching for the third.
Since she had no intention of writing a second (or third) book until after the first was published, the first book sounds like the perfect jumping-off point to me. Since at one point, she fully intended that to be the end of the story.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #41
GeckoFriend
Guru

I ended up buying all three books since they were so cheap. If I don't like them it won't be the first books I bought and didn't like.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #42
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Since she had no intention of writing a second (or third) book until after the first was published, the first book sounds like the perfect jumping-off point to me. Since at one point, she fully intended that to be the end of the story.
Diap, do you have a source for that? I find it hard to believe. I mean, I totally believe that at ONE time she only planned one book, but I think her plans must have changed *before* the book was published. Because a lot of things were unresolved when the first book ended.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #43
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also, I just read that Hunger Games is the best-selling book on Kindle (note that Prime Lending counts as a sale, I think).

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Also, I just read that Hunger Games is the best-selling book on Kindle (note that Prime Lending counts as a sale, I think).

eP
If Prime Lending counts as a sale, then the sales figures for Amazon are not actually valid. People will borrow a book that's free and try it where the same book might not sell if it has to be bought.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #45
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I read the books and thought they were good -- not great, but certainly enjoyable. This afternoon I saw the movie, and I thought it was very well done. Closely follows the book. Donald Sutherland plays the "dictator". The Cinna character was not nearly as well developed as in the book, which was too bad. Woody Harrelson was a disappointment as Katniss' mentor.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote