Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Is it just me? Vox freezing

Since my s/w upgrade - about 12 hours now, of which I've been asleep for 6 - I have had to hard-reset (10-second power switch) my Vox about 6 times, and once had to go so far as to pry off the back cover for the button reset.

In the previous 4 weeks, I had to hard-reset maybe 3 or 4 times in TOTAL. Never pried the back cover off! I know that I probably should do the exercise of revert to factory, upgrade my software in a clean environment, and reload my apps and library. Sigh. Not what you want to do every s/w upgrade.

Anyone else notice this since the upgrade?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm not seeing it, and I have my Vox all junked up, LOL.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'd refrain from the full Monty cover reset. Besides, I was sure there was a thread this week that detailed how to do a full software reset. You might try one or two things (one at a time) first ... like changing settings from sleep mode from xx minutes to never ... that sort of thing.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I did have the Kobo app totally crash on me when I was trying to open a book in the library. It was stuck on the spinning wheel and when I tried the back button, I ended up with a black screen and a nonresponsive unit. I did the 10s reset thing and it powered back up just fine.

I had installed a game and then didn't like how it was rendering on the screen during play, so I uninstalled it. Maybe I should have held off on such a thing until I fully evaluated the effects of the update. I am not as nice to the Vox as I am to my computers when it comes to installing stuff, I'll have to admit.

I had been having a lot of problems with the Vox freezing when coming out of sleep mode, and before the update, the newest thing it was doing was coming out of sleep mode by itself. I would walk into the room, and the Vox would be on. That was happening just before the update became available, actually.

Since the update, I haven't had any problem with coming out of sleep mode. We'll see how it goes today.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I am not as nice to the Vox as I am to my computers when it comes to installing stuff, I'll have to admit.
You can do that, don't worry. When you remove an application, it is removed. It doesn't work at all like your computer. The only thing applications might leave behind is some data on the SD card (the storage that you can access on your computer).
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SensualPoet: Is there a setting to prevent sleep? I can see the setting to delay turning off the screen for 30 minutes but nothing for sleep.

Anyway since my Vox worked just fine before the upgrade (WiFi turning on issues aside) I think I need to revert back to factory setting. I am having to do the 10-second reset almost every time I use it, sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it freezes when I go to home screen. I'm sure that can't be good for it.

Also I expect the one time I felt I needed to pry the back cover off, I might not have waited long enough on the power button. 10 seconds is a pretty long time it turns out.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
SensualPoet: Is there a setting to prevent sleep? I can see the setting to delay turning off the screen for 30 minutes but nothing for sleep.

Anyway since my Vox worked just fine before the upgrade (WiFi turning on issues aside) I think I need to revert back to factory setting. I am having to do the 10-second reset almost every time I use it, sometimes it won't turn on, sometimes it freezes when I go to home screen. I'm sure that can't be good for it.

Also I expect the one time I felt I needed to pry the back cover off, I might not have waited long enough on the power button. 10 seconds is a pretty long time it turns out.
Did you install any apps after the update but before you started to have this problem? I know that some people found that this would be the problem with certain apps and a simple app uninstall of the most recently downloaded app would fix it. (On the other hand, I returned a Vox for this exact reason before I knew it was a widespread issue, so I also know it can just be a problem with the Vox itself).
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Knock on wood, no ten second cold boots needed since the update.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Things were great yesterday, not so much today.

Yesterday, post update, I had the entire unit crash on me--black screen. I think I was using the Kobo app at the time, but I'm not sure.

This morning I tried to go to "Library" from the menu at the bottom of the screen while in airplane mode. The library wouldn't load. The unit became unresponsive to controls, then the screen went black. I had to do the 10s reset.

Later, had the Vox in sleep mode, airplane mode. The screen came up, but the Vox was unresponsive to anything beyond the unlock function. I pushed the button on top, not even for 10 seconds, the Vox powered down and restarted.

Does prying off the back cover and pushing the button uninstall all your apps?

I don't know what's going on here.

I'm going to keep a log of everything I do with the Vox from now on.

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-26-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I'm going to keep a log of everything I do with the Vox from now on.
Good idea, especially for folks who download apps from unusual places or make rapid and frequent changes.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
49Kat
Fanatic

I'm going to post my tale of woe over here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158582

My poor Vox is pretty much a train wreck as of today. Coming out of sleep mode, I can manage one function and then it becomes totally unresponsive. So it basically allows me to unlock it, one tap on whatever, and then she's done, needs a reset.

I've hit the inside button twice today.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Wow. No issues here, not even after using the Kobo app (which normally set me on the road to a sleep of death). I left it off and it only lost 10% with light usage and 20 hours standby with wifi off. Read for another 40 minutes and lost another 10%.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-26-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed typos created by typing on a mobile device.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
tonyvcr
tonyvcr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
My Vox had one problem before the update - it wouldn't charge in sleep mode. I had to power it off before it would charge.
After the update, I'm finding similar problems to those described in other threads - not waking out of sleep mode and freezing at random times.
I've put a call into Kobo tech support, and was told my problem was being sent to Tier 2, but I've not yet had a response.
Has anyone tried the factory reset and, if so, did it clear these problems?
tonyvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
49Kat
Fanatic

Oh, I sure hope it doesn't come to that! I'm not prepared to try that unless all else fails. It would be a shame to go to all that trouble of starting over again and then finding it still didn't help. I've got satellite internet, it takes a while to get all the libraries sync'd.

Or...does a factory reset wipe all your stuff off the Vox, or does it just uninstall the apps?

Edited to add:

Oh, never mind, I found this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+factory+reset

Last edited by 49Kat; 11-26-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic

I will do a reset in the morning when I have time to deal with it. The only thing that will be totally lost is my Angry Birds progress; everything else I can re-download.

49kat my experience is very similar to yours. I have a fairly vanilla Vox with only a very few apps and nothing shady or more complex than ES file browser