Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Question PW 1st generation: greenish light?

Hi!

I don't know if someone already posted about this before, but just after receiving my new Kindle Voyage I became curious to compare its frontlight with the older Paperwhite 1st generation and the result was this:

1st, 2nd and 3rd pictures.

By the way, I don't have just one Paperwhite, but 2, and the result is absolutely the same. [4th picture].

Is this greenish... let's say... normal?

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st.png
Views:	256
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	135653   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd.png
Views:	244
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	135654   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd.png
Views:	215
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	135655   Click image for larger version

Name:	4th.png
Views:	231
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	135656  

Last edited by zamana; 03-09-2015 at 09:48 AM.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
This is normal for the Kindle Paperwhite 1. Most people will not notice this, but a photocamera will see it, assuming the white balance is set correctly.

I've taken pictures of my KPW1 in the past, using a white piece of paper as the background, and also using it to calibrate the white balance. The KPW1 screen is definitely greenish, just like yours, though mine is much more even.

It does seem the Voyager has a much better screen; whiter, and more even.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is normal for the Kindle Paperwhite 1. Most people will not notice this, but a photocamera will see it, assuming the white balance is set correctly.
The overwhelming majority of screen photos that get posted do not have the white balance correctly set, of course!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The overwhelming majority of screen photos that get posted do not have the white balance correctly set, of course!
This is indeed the case. In this case, the camera has chosen the KV as the white balance target, so it's white. The KPW1 is green. Now there are two possibilities:

1. The KV really -is- white, without any color cast, and the white balance is correct. This would mean the KPW1 really -is- greenish.
2. The KV is -not- white, but looks like it because of white balance adjustment. If this is the case, it has to be magenta, for the KPW1 to turn white. If magenta is set as being neutral, the rest of the picture will turn greenish. This would mean that the KPW1 is actually the white Kindle and the KV is not.

At this point, without knowing if the white balance is actually correct, I'm going for 1, because I know that *my* paperwhite is greenish when photographed using a correct white balance.

@zamana: If you take a picture again, with both the KV and KPW1 in it, on a white background, make sure you set the white balance to calibrate on the background. Then you can be sure that the colors you're seeing on both the Kindles are correct.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Hi!

I will try this "white balance" that all of you are talking about, today, at night, when at home, BUT... with white balance or not, I see this greenish light by myself, with my own naked eyes ;-)

Just for curiosity, these photos were taken with a Nexus 5, with the kindles over my couch (that is black, by the way) on a dark room.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

If you can see the color cast yourself, the Kindle is either very green, or you have very accurate color perception.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
My PW1 had green and magenta 'clouds' that were quite noticeable in certain environments and still does. It may have smoothed out some, but I usually read in more optimal environments since I stopped torturing myself by noticing how 'imperfect' it can be. I would not say I have particularly accurate color perception, but I suppose that's possible since I've never tested it.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote