Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But nobody declares stuff like a Sony Reader. It would be silly.
Suppose 300,000,000 people each don't bother to declare something like a Sony Reader - let's say it's something costing $333 for the sake of argument. That's a total of $100bn work of sales. 5% tax on that is $5bn.

That's a fair hunk of change to be "not worth it"
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #62
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a fair hunk of change to be "not worth it"
Well, if actually rooting them out and collecting that $5 Billion carried a cost of $5.1 Billion, then no, it wouldn't be worth it.

The cost of enforcement is an important factor there.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #63
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Then again if the goverment knows for a fact that the highly endebted population will buy less if hindered buy taxes, is it not a good thing for the economy to let some types of sales 'slide by'? Looking to an other side, are interstate officials numerous enough to control every sale? Would it be possible to automate surveilance? Would it be legal?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is a new twist. I used to have a GF who lived in New Hampshire where there was no sales tax. If I bought something to be used both in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, what sort of tax should I pay? I mean, I am also using it where there is no sales tax as well as where there is sales tax. So what happens now?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #65
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's really quite simple: The sales tax is supposed to be applied in the state in which the product is bought. Doesn't matter where you take it or use it. It's the easiest and most practical way to do it. If I was told to charge everyone a tax, it would be 5% across the board for everyone, regardless of where they were, even overseas.

It's essentially the same if I order from a catalog, or over the phone, with out-of-state companies (and that never made a lot of sense to me either, as you've pointed out, a lot of money is being passed up that way).

At any rate, I don't think it makes a difference in the long run. I don't know too many people who, if they really wanted to buy the Sony reader, would balk because it had an extra $15 added to it. Heck, people still buy cars and pay hundreds in taxes, but cars sell just fine. They just search for the lowest deal, and buy. If taxes are levied across the internet, it won't put a dent in commerce.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #66
addme
addme began at the beginning.

Device: n95
I have a psp .
I love it .
addme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #67
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by addme View Post
I have a psp .
I love it .
And...?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm very happy for him. I have an XBox 360 and that's very good, too .
Old 10-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #69
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still pleased with my PS2.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I still like playing my Commodore 64.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #71
NatCh
Gizmologist

Coleco!

I don't have one, but it was a great machine.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Atari Pong
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #73
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes. The father of them all.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Ah, yes. The father of them all.
I had one. had Pong and a few versions of Breakout.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I used to like playing the original "Adventure" game on a DEC PDP 8 in my (long ago) student days. That was a REAL computer - 48kb (yes, kilobytes) of memory, and it happily supported 20 simultaneous users. Not of this needing 2GB of RAM for a single user. Bah, humbug!