Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Adobe digital edition 1.8 and linux

Adobe recently released a preview for a new ADE version.
Among other things, they switched to .net, causing ADE not to work with wine anymore.

I posted a message there :
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3839931#3839931 (You might need to be logged in adobe's message board)

Response was the usual : we don't support linux.

If you're using ADE with wine, and I know there are a few linux user around here, please post on the adobe message board, to tell adobe there are people using Linux who would appreciate a working software.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
One reason to not upgrade until forced...
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but sooner or later we'll have that message forcing the upgrade...

And why should we stay with the old version ?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the new version doesn't work, and really no new features, why upgrade?

If they had new features, then upgrade. If they had bug fixes for things you had issues with, then upgrade.

Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I dunno, for most things I like having the latest version, but in cases like this I don't see the point in upgrading if it can be avoided.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Response was the usual : we don't support linux.
Fine. We don't support Adobe either

The funny thing is most dedicated readers use the Adobe engine with a Linux OS...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post

If they had new features, then upgrade. If they had bug fixes for things you had issues with, then upgrade.

Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I dunno, for most things I like having the latest version, but in cases like this I don't see the point in upgrading if it can be avoided.
From memory, ADE is one of those programs that force you to upgrade to the latest version, otherwise it will stop working (at least that's what has happened in the past).
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post

There is few new stuff.
And my experience with ADE is that at some point it will pop annoying "you need to update" message. I don't need to update *now*, but at some point I will have to.

I just wanted to see what 1.8 looked like. It's in a wine bottle separate from the "old" one. I'm glad i did, At least now i know 1.8 will not work.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Fine. We don't support Adobe either

The funny thing is most dedicated readers use the Adobe engine with a Linux OS...

And yes sherman, that is my memory too.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:36 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's hardly Adobe's fault that WINE doesn't support .net, is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's hardly Adobe's fault that WINE doesn't support .net, is it?
It's adobe's fault for using .Net without checking it would be compatible with wine. Anyone having used wine a little knows that .NET don't work with wine.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Why should they check for compatibility with a platform they don't support? I know it sucks for you, but it seems silly (from their perspective) to limit themselves from using the programming tools that they would otherwise use because it may cause issues on operating systems that it isn't intended to run on. Do you expect them to check that their programs run under Windows 3.1 or DOS, too? Not quite the same thing, but close enough.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Why should they check for compatibility with a platform they don't support? I know it sucks for you, but it seems silly (from their perspective) to limit themselves from using the programming tools that they would otherwise use because it may cause issues on operating systems that it isn't intended to run on. Do you expect them to check that their programs run under Windows 3.1 or DOS, too? Not quite the same thing, but close enough.
Not at all. Windows 3.1 and DOS are hardly used anymore. That's not the case for Linux. They should provide Linux support.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
1.8 only seems to require .NET 2.0.5 (I'm basing this on looking at the associated handles that it opens and the associated .NET assemblies in procexp), which is pretty old. I don't use WINE, but I do know there are various tricks out there to get .NET 2 installed on it.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
1.8 only seems to require .NET 2.0.5 (I'm basing this on looking at the associated handles that it opens and the associated .NET assemblies in procexp), which is pretty old. I don't use WINE, but I do know there are various tricks out there to get .NET 2 installed on it.
.Net 2 installs pretty painlessly on more recent versions of wine with winetricks (always start with a clean wincfg before installing .NET). There's still no guarantee that any apps that require it will actually work in wine once it's installed, but your chances are a lot better than with an app that requires .NET 3 or 3.5.

It does suck that most of the dedicated ereaders out there use linux as their OS but their retailers completely blow that community off when it comes time to develop their desktop apps.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard

The other problem is, at one point they planned on supporting linux. They even had a linux version in development, but they scrapped it last minute due to an executive level decision. This was kept in mind by some of their developers. Not only that, but .Net is Windows only. ADE is crossplatform, since they support OSX as well. It makes little to no sense to use tools that are locked to a single platform to make an app that you do support over more than one platform.