Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #136
tsttm
tsttm began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is a great thread. thanks for putting the time to sharing. It's a few months old, hopefully people are still monitoring it.

I found this great instructables that takes this idea a little further if anyone's interested. Definitely more work, but has some advantages (speed/accuracy).

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...ALLSTEPS#step0

One question, the set up you use to connect the Canon to your computer for remotely shutter etc...is it possible to control two cameras at once? Just wondering if there's a feature to trigger two cameras at the same time.

Also, since you say it will upload the photos immediately between shots..does this mean you don't requre any SD cards in the camera?

thanks!
tsttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #137
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
It's been a long time since I visited this thread. I am glad it is still alive.

*http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...ALLSTEPS#step0
Thiat link looks very interesting indeed. One day I must find time to read it thoroughly.

*One question, the set up you use to connect the Canon to your computer for remotely shutter etc...is it possible to control two cameras at once? Just wondering if there's a feature to trigger two cameras at the same time.

For that see http://www.atiz.com

*Also, since you say it will upload the photos immediately between shots..does this mean you don't requre any SD cards in the camera?

Well, immediately - by the way of speaking. It takes a few seconds to transfer a few megabytes from the camera to the computer. Just enough time to turn the page of the book. However, transfering all photos in batch from the SD card (Google Picasa does a good job at it) is a more convenient solution.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #138
tsttm
tsttm began at the beginning.

ereszet, can you elaborate a little when you say you save 'text under image' using finereader?

I'm just testing finereader now, so i'm only vaguely familiar with the settings...but are you saving text version & image version in the same file? just wondering how that works.

or does it mean you're simply saving a text file & an image file?

I'm curious how you work with your end products- are you reading the images using some image managing software & when you want to search/cut & paste, you go to your text version copy?

If you could just elaborate a little on how you work, it'd be great.

thanks!
tsttm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #139
coffeeneone
coffeeneone began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8830
Hey,

I just found this thread, and I want to say thank you for all the great information. I was just about to buy a plustek 3600 . I was wondering now if there is a manual for building that v-cradle? Forgive me if it's already posted and I missed it. Right now, I only have a nikon 8 mp coolpix. All I want to do is back up my paper back books and comics. 1. will this camera do the trick? 2. Is there a step by step manual from building the v-cradle to building a finished ebook?

Thanks for any help!
coffeeneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #140
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You can try this to steady your camera when a tripod is not available/not permitted.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2146191_make-string-tripod.html
Thank you a lot for the link, very useful!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #141
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for all this info and to Bryan for the crosslink.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #142
substorm
substorm began at the beginning.

Wow Ereszet. I must thank you for all the great info. I am almost ready to build my first book scanner.

The design that I am trying to follow is below:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quic...With-a-Camera/

I have tested this setup but I had some problems with shadows. What would you suggest for light placement? Is there a specific light device I should be looking at?

Also, I want to attach a remote shutter button clicker. Any ideas what would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Last edited by substorm; 12-19-2009 at 06:33 AM.
substorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #143
scanner
scanner began at the beginning.

Device: sony
another attempt:

http://questioncopyright.org/grants/bookliberator
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #144
lcole
lcole began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a similar cradle for book copying, but my problems are how to convert the book to a file for my Kindle.

I can take photos (jpegs) of the pages, and I can convert EACH photo to a pdf, doc, or text, but that is a long way from a completed file containing the whole book.

Are there ways to convert, stitch (concatenate) images into a single file? PDF's look best on the Kindle, but text is easiest to manipulate. Actually doc files of pages look really good, but Kindle and Calibre won't accept them.

Yes, I am a long way from reproducing a book as a readable file by photographic means.

Suggestions?
lcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #145
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Check out OCR (optical character recognition), process of converting scanned/photographed text into real text... FineReader is good on PCs...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #146
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Another vote for FineReader here. I started with FineReader Express, which runs around $50 and it does a nice job. Recently got FineReader Pro 10 on sale, even better.

Once you have editable text, you can easily make XHTML files and assemble as ePub with free Sigil software and from there convert to .mobi with free Calibre. Or maybe there is some kind of .mobi file editor you could use to create your books. I wouldn't know about that.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #147
lcole

I am glad this well stated book copying topic by ERESZET still exists. The
original entries from 2007 are nicely done and well illustrated.

The project that I have is similar, but I have some different interests and
different constraints. If my interests, problems, and solutions (yours) are
interesting, I would appreciate your help and comments on the subject.

Here goes--

I also have a V shaped copy stand similar to the one originally described,
by ereszet except that I have mounts for two (identical) opposed cameras that
will permit capture of two separate pages simultaenously as JPEG images.

I am using camera files (JPEG) as input to Omnipage17. I am not using Omni as a scanner.

It is my intention to put the books I am copying on my Kindle. Kindle will not
accept JPEGS, and the file types that it does accept are limited.

My problem is to ascertain which are my best options to move separate JPEG page images to a single file on the Kindle.

I have some software and have tried several other software options, but as yet, I don't have a solid, easy to use, reliable plan/system to arrive at the best solution.

1) Because I am using images from Canon A640 cameras, I am stuck with beginning with JPEGs.

2) I have also experimented with Breeze Software's PSremote which allows capture of two page images at once INTO my PC with tap of the space bar. I will not purchase the software until I can be sure that it will integrate into the plan.

3) I am fortunate enough to have Omnipage17 software which will process JPEG images from my cameras. Yes, Omni is a scanner, but I am not using that function. Omni accepts camera files, and I have produced PDF's and Word files with the Omni, but the damned program is so complex that I wonder if I will ever get the hang of it.

4) From above-- The Kindle won't accept JPEGs, PDF's (Adobe), or Doc files.

5) Unless someone has a better solution, it appears that I will use:

-Breeze to capture original JPEG's to the PC

-Omni to produce something other than JPEG'S (Hopefully in a single file in
batch mode)

-Some other software to convert the Omni files to something the Kindle can read.

I note here that several persons have suggested software to get to native PDF or HTML to get something that will convert to PDF's. I have actually tried to convert the PDF out of Omni to another PDF with CALIBRE without success, so far.

Actually, I don't know what is the IDEAL file type to read with the Kindle. I'll
bet that some will recommend MOBI. Just haven't tried it yet.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #148
lcole

I stated most of my problems in a previous post, but I do have other problems.

I have tried many settings in combination to get a good photo capture, and my
images are clear and sharp. They are just not black and white. With one color
balance (camera) the image comes out sharp but with orange or brownish colored
background. With the B&W setting, I get good images but with grayish/blue
background. I have begun to think that I can't actually capture an image in
true BLACK and WHITE.

Omni lets me enhance my images, so I can take one of the images above and render
it with greater brightness and contrast. With or without the enhancing, however,
the images are clear in both the pdf or doc output, but I hate to think that I
will have to manually fiddle with the images.

I originally assumed that this problem was a lighting problem, but I get good
images with various lighting approaches now. I think the background problem
is a camera (setting?) problem. Help!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #149
A.Priori
A.Priori began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
glad I found this thread, I wish to build a cradle that uses glass like the OP's profile pic
A.Priori is offline   Reply With Quote