Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
RodKeith
RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking Getting UNAVAILABLE apps in your country

All you have to do is "tell" Amazon you live in the USA:
1. On your computer, browse to Amazon.com
2. Select Kindle store
3. Click on Help (top right); on next screen click on Kindle Help & Tools (centre of screen)
4. Click on Manage Your Kindle (left hand side)
5. Login to your account
6. Scroll down and look for the entry specifying the country you live in
7. Click Edit
8. Make up a US address, zip code and phone number (use Google to search for valid zip code and phone area code.
THAT'S IT!
Go order the stuff you want, and
9. Go back and change your country back to what it should be.

Last edited by RodKeith; 05-16-2011 at 12:21 PM.
RodKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'm not convinced that will work on a long term basis, my experience has not been that great, eventually you will be caught out by your IP address and refused the sale, my experience with using a proxy server has also been quite poor, but hey, if it works for you go for it!
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinafrica View Post
I'm not convinced that will work on a long term basis, my experience has not been that great, eventually you will be caught out by your IP address and refused the sale, my experience with using a proxy server has also been quite poor, but hey, if it works for you go for it!
Cheers
Paul
I doubt Amazon cares much about ''cheaters''. Why should they? They probably have fulfilled they responsebiliby by just checking for a valid adresse. But I could be wrong, ofc.

Anyway, even 'if' then there is many a ways around such a blockage, VPN, proxy servers (like you mentioned), ect. I know there's other Kindle users that has done this too, and I haven't heard anything about Amazon during anything to stop it.

Also, there can be legitiment reasons for a user to have an, say, British adresse, but currently living in, say, Denmark, thus having a danish IP adreese, ect, which could make it problematic to just 'ban' suspicious users. That's why the ''investigation'' probably stops at adresse validation.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-17-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: editing
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
of course, the doubt about them.

I have tried it this way, and I was able to get the free apps but then I got a mail from amazon that I am not a US customer and should describe why I am coming im with an not US IP address.

I changed the location back to europe then and after some days I changed back again and "bought" another free app and switched back again...
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Tsk, tsk, tsk...have we really stooped this low on mobileread that we now have threads describing how to defraud Amazon?

MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Tsk, tsk, tsk...have we really stooped this low on mobileread that we now have threads describing how to defraud Amazon?

I don't think "defraud" is the correct word:

Code:
Defraud: to deprive of something by deception or fraud
Amazon is out nothing if users from outside the US buy US-only content. Whether it is illegal, or immoral, is another story, but I would not call it "defraud".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
of course, the doubt about them.

I have tried it this way, and I was able to get the free apps but then I got a mail from amazon that I am not a US customer and should describe why I am coming im with an not US IP address.

I changed the location back to europe then and after some days I changed back again and "bought" another free app and switched back again...
I see, interesting. But I guess that you could just have given a good excuse? It might also just be a formality, tho. I doubt they'd take action, if you didn't anwser them back. Good trick you use, tho.

Quote:

Yes, it must be aweful having customers buying your products.

Edit:

Also, I don't understand why you would even care about such a little thing, even though you feel it is a moral issue.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-18-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling. Edit1
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
RodKeith
RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RodKeith has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

I used the method to BUY CalendarPro and Notepad by 7 Dragons, neither of which are available to Canadians otherwise. Having paid the full price for the Kindle and the programs, I'm not sure where "defraud" comes in, unless you consider that Amazon is DEFRAUDING those of us who do not live in the US and A by not giving us equal access to the software and other materials for the device we purchased from them.
RodKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKeith View Post
I used the method to BUY CalendarPro and Notepad by 7 Dragons, neither of which are available to Canadians otherwise. Having paid the full price for the Kindle and the programs, I'm not sure where "defraud" comes in, unless you consider that Amazon is DEFRAUDING those of us who do not live in the US and A by not giving us equal access to the software and other materials for the device we purchased from them.
Well to be fair to mjk you didn't specify that you bought the apps, just that you got them. Maybe s/he thought you were getting free apps that you would've otherwise had to pay for like the free app a day deal. Not condoning the assumption but I can understand where it came from.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKeith View Post
Since you feel this way about it, you could have chosen to pirate these items for free. At least this way Amazon gets money out of the deal. Win-win situation, I say.

Also, I agree that it is a bad business modal. You would think they'd wanted to promote pirating (I dunno if Amazon has a say in this business modal, tho).

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 05-18-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am able to purchase books from the USA store but never the Apps.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
My original use of the word "defraud" was wrong. Perhaps "circumvent the rules" is more apt. In any case, the OP describes a method to avoid restrictions placed by Amazon, apparently for a reason.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote