Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #151
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Took a quick look on B&N official website.

The shape is kind of weird. Not ugly, but weird. I guess is because the absent of physical keyboard.

Good thing that they got rid of the old eink screen and now are using pearl; it was kind of obvious though to incorporate that if they were going to sell an eink device.

Two months of battery life! That's Impressive!

The Nook vs Kindle table comparison is kind of funny, because we all know they are not going to show weak points there. And the B&N number of titles, no idea where did they get those numbers from but none of those are true, including for Amazon. Amazon does not provide the exact numbers of titles they have and same for B&N.

But... my enthusiasm went down when I read this: reading mode, portrait only. For people who read poetry or computer books, won't be a suitable device.

I can't wait for Amazon's "jab" or "uppercut" and see how they responds. At the end, we all, the users, we'll see the benefit I guess.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #152
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Two months of battery life! That's Impressive!
At 30mins a day I think it's a bit of a marketing stunt. I'd be interested in pageturns.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #153
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Uh oh
  • no web browser
  • no MP3 support = no audiobooks
Are you sure about this? Anyone?

EDIT: From Goodreader:

"Update:
Now there is some news that may not sit well with some people. There is no dedicated internet browser so you cannot surf the net, whether they will allow you to do this in the future is unknown. It also does not have support for audio, such as Audio Books or Mp3 music files. On the flip side since the Nook 2 is running Google Android 2.1 as the operating system. It will only be a matter of time before hackers ‘root’ the device and add web browsing and dare I say “Angry Birds” in e-ink?
It should be up for pre-order later today and will hit the market on June 7th – 9th 2011 for $139. What about the original Nook WIFI and Nook 3G? The WIFI is going to drop to $119 and the 3G $169."

Last edited by markdek; 05-24-2011 at 03:40 PM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #154
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
At 30mins a day I think it's a bit of a marketing stunt. I'd be interested in pageturns.
Agree.

Main point here is that Amazon will come with something new or different (hopefully) And maybe Sony.

As a former Nook 1st gen owner (actually, Nook was my 1st eink reader) I must say they truly improved the device this time. That LCD screen was not a good idea in my opinion and the new device's weight is a great improvement as well.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #155
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Forgive me if this is really a stupid question - but will it still be "backlighted?"

ETA: Whoops - I think this was already answered, I hang my head in shame and sneak away now.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #156
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Forgive me if this is really a stupid question - but will it still be "backlighted?"

ETA: Whoops - I think this was already answered, I hang my head in shame and sneak away now.
What's the answer? Is is backlight? ....doubt it, right.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #157
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
It says it uses pearl, which is eink. So this is not an LCD device. No backlight ... I guess ...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #158
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
eInk can't be backlit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #159
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
That's a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Uh oh
  • no web browser
  • no MP3 support = no audiobooks
It's a reader. Just use it to read.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #160
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Six different fonts. That's nice. If I read them correctly they are ... Caecilia, Malabar, Ysobel, Gill Sans, Helvetica Neue, and Trebuchet.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #161
markdek
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
eInk can't be backlit.
But, e-ink readers can be "side" lit....
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #162
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
So you just use your iPhone to make phone calls, I guess?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #163
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But, e-ink readers can be "side" lit....
With claims of 2 months battery life, there is no reason to speculate on any sort of a built in light. Not a chance. You'll just have to buy your own 'front light.'
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #164
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post

One of the reasons why I love my Kindle: awesome ereader. Of course, every person is entitled to use the device for other stuff, but for music, I prefer a dedicated mp3 player.

So on this case, I don't see a major issue if there is no mp3 player support. What could be a downside, is not having the ability to read or use audio books. That's a must for blind people or if you just want to rest your eyes a bit.

Games, Magazines, etc, I think a tablet is better than any eink reader. There are a lot of options now on the market for tablets, including the own Nook Color.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-24-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #165
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So you just use your iPhone to make phone calls, I guess?
my guess is they were looking to trim the fat and probably did some research on how widely used some of the extra features were. I'm sure each extra feature has their dedicated niche for example my wife loves audio books for her ride into work. She ripped almost her entire library into MP3 and downloaded them to her nook classic and runs a male to male 3.5 mm jack to the stereo.

Me on the flip side have never once used the mp3 player. My guess is I'm the majority and she's the minority so if you are looking for ways to cut down on the overall cost of things, that wouldn't make the cut.

just pure speculation.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote