Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Adobe Digital Editions 1.0 released

Straight from the press release:

Quote:
Adobe Systems Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE) today announced the release of Adobe(R) Digital Editions 1.0, a new software application built from the ground up for acquiring, managing and reading eBooks, digital newspapers, and other digital publications. Available as a free download for Microsoft(R) Windows(R) and Macintosh systems, Adobe Digital Editions software transforms the digital reading experience and offers new creative possibilities for publishers.

The public beta of Adobe Digital Editions generated more than 300,000 downloads in less than six months and user feedback influenced the feature set. Adobe Digital Editions now enables users to annotate content through bookmarks, highlights and text notes. The library view offers advanced organization with multiple bookshelves. A slick new user interface enhances zooming and the overall reading experience, while support for the new IDPF Open Publication Standard (OPS) for XHTML-based re-flowable eBooks, guarantees a seamless viewing experience.
Windows and Mac users can go right ahead and grab the final version of Adobe Digital Editions from here. A linux version and localized versions are expected to be available in H2 2007.

Related: Adobe Digital Editions pre-release 1.0 screenshots
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
This is fun to use. I like the way it formats the text depending on the size of the window.

Here's the sample library.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just tried to read one of the free books. I was told I needed to upgrade so I allowed it to upgrade and it crashed. That's a great way to launch a new product.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just tried to read one of the free books. I was told I needed to upgrade so I allowed it to upgrade and it crashed. That's a great way to launch a new product.
Same problem ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So now when I go to read one of the free books, I get a crash right away. Way to go Adobe!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't feel too bad... although I have Win2k, SP5, my processor is about 52mHz too slow to even download and install the app! You guys let me know how you like it, and I'll think about it come the next hardware upgrade.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If it's going to crash, there's no reason at all to like it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
EPUB support for next gen SONY Reader

from Bill McCoy's blog:

Quote:
Sony wil be incorporating Digital Editions capabiliities, including EPUB and Adobe DRM support, into the Sony Reader product line.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice catch there, sic, I think that probably deserves a front page article!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What an incredible move forward this is for potentially standardizing e-book formats, as well as a very nice positioning for Sony in the future. It could save the product line, and allow them to still compete to become the Walkman of e-books. And maybe this time, they can hold on even if Apple decides to compete! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's potentially huge. The improvement we can probably expect in PDF handling alone is a big deal. Add in the fact that Adobe has just handed the pubs a way to easily make e-books by a name they know, trust and are already using, plus the fact that there is already at least one e-reader device committed to supporting it ....

If nobody messes it up anywhere along the line it just might possibly be the beginning of a de-facto standard e-book format.

And assuming that DE stops crashing every computer it's installed on.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, it's on the Front Page now.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Digital Editions does not crash on the Mac. However, when I download sample ebooks, I get two copies. One labelled as "digitaleditions2x0" in my download folder, the other in Documents>Digital Editions.

Digital Editions can also be used as PDF readers. I'm still thinking if I'd make it my default PDF reader (rather than Preview).
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Today, I went straight to the Digital Library, to see if I could at least download one of the books... and Adobe's system installed DE as well. I don't know if it's something Adobe did to repair the install-crash reports it's been getting, or if it's something different about the process when starting in the Digital Library, but at least it works now.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'll have to go try a fresh install. Wish me luck.

I went to add/remove programs, removed DE, went to the library, selected something, it reintslalled and it's not crashing.