Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
That appeals to a very specific market segment.

If that were all a new PW3 offered, I'd be staying with my PW2.)
The specific market segment is however "people who are outdoors a lot". That is a sizable sector, and certainly it would be financially viable to cater to it.

Military personnel, the beach crowd, most athletes, people in metro areas who wait for buses instead of driving, and so on.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #17
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I agree that a color Kindle is unlikely, and probably Amazon would be doing more to hype it up.

However, why haven't we seen any FCC filings? That to me is the most suspicious factor. I think it's possible that Amazon won't significantly update the Kindle PW this year. Hopefully I'm wrong, but the lack of improvements to the regular Kindle may be a precedent.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It shows Amazon has lost interest in innovating in the e-ink market, at least for the moment. They have conquered it. The existing model suits 90% of it's users. Why bother innovating where there isn't much to add, at least at the moment? When and if they can do color, they'll release that. Though that will impact their tablets. In any case, I think color 'e-ink' is a long way off.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So I'm not sure what it would take for me to buy a new PW or whatever it will be called. A Liquavista screen maybe?
A flexible screen and/or waterproofing for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
If I give up and get the current version, you can bet the new one will be announced the following week. So when I post that I've finally given up and bought the current version, you should be able to rest easy knowing the 2014 version will be out within days.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't see much incentive for Amazon to introduce the PW3--Buy our PW3, it has very slightly less shadows and color blotching in the screen and almost nothing else new. Heck their only true competition is Kobo, and those bozos cannot get their FW working correctly--EVER!

What can they add to it of any true interest? They will never fix that horrible light layer. I prefer the old IR screen technology to any technology that puts a gawd awful piece of plastic on top of the screen. There are no ground shaking improvements in eInk technology to include. There is no great improvement in resolution to be had. There is no speedy eInk screens that don't resemble an arthritic, elderly snail. There are no color eInk screens worth looking at, much less reading on. And after all these years does anyone actually think Amazon will give us useful formatting options in a FW update? The eInk's 15 minutes of fame are long up, and now the tablets are enjoying their time in the spot light.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
leo_CR
leo_CR began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The eInk's 15 minutes of fame are long up, and now the tablets are enjoying their time in the spot light.
except for the fact that tablets aren't that hot anymore, anyways.

Whatever, I think all goes to sales figures. If the pw2 is selling kind of ok, there won't be a new pw3. As all the people have said here, there is no incentives, nor advances that make them deem it important at all.

Remember the basic kindle, which last innovation was: A NEW CHASSIS COLOR!!
leo_CR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_CR View Post
except for the fact that tablets aren't that hot anymore, anyways.
:
My tablet is collecting dust. I use my pw2 every night before bed. It is more comfortable to hold and the lighting is easier on my eyes.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just wish we knew. I got a PW2 in May and mine is the original 2Gb in storage. Hubby would like one (he has the PW1) but he would settle for mine if I ordered a PW3 (I'm the addict here) but I dare not order anything.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #25
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I just wish we knew. .
Yes, I wish they would just announce it already. I want to get one for my husband as well. Waiting to see what comes along. I like mine quite a bit, but if they came out with a "new and improved" model...I would get it.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
My tablet is collecting dust. I use my pw2 every night before bed. It is more comfortable to hold and the lighting is easier on my eyes.

Penny
Yeah tablets...great for card games, Flipboard, Newshog, browsing the web. Other than that, mine are gathering dust. I keep them charged and use them for the above.....I figure when my kids break theirs, I've got back ups for them.

Give me eink....I have the PW1 and it's very nice. If they make one with a smaller footprint, I'd be interested in a new one. A PW the size of the Kobo Aura would be sweet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
I just wish we knew. I got a PW2 in May and mine is the original 2Gb in storage. Hubby would like one (he has the PW1) but he would settle for mine if I ordered a PW3 (I'm the addict here) but I dare not order anything.
I'm still using the PW1 and had to delete a ridiculously large number of my books to make space for the last update. I would be very tempted by the extra storage if I could be reasonably sure there won't be a new version! So I'm with you in not daring to order the 4Gb version yet.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Well, order already. The sooner you order, the sooner they'll put the PW3 out the following week
Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I've been holding off replacing my K3 for months, waiting on the new 2014 PW.

If I give up and get the current version, you can bet the new one will be announced the following week. So when I post that I've finally given up and bought the current version, you should be able to rest easy knowing the 2014 version will be out within days.
Tee hee. That's what I did last year. Bought PW1 3 weeks before PW2 came out (it was my birthday you see). Could have returned it but decided to keep it and I'm still glad I did. The screen of mine is very good, I never upgraded from 5.3.9 so I have my font, backdoor lock and frankly it does all "I" need. I compared it side by side to PW2 and difference in screen was minimal - and I was bent on buying PW2 as a gadget geek - but it just wasn't worth it at all. Saved myself a lot of fuss with returning (from Europe)

Besides, you know, tablet just doesn't feel like a book
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

The $69 Kindle 4 is currently out of stock. Another possible clue that new Kindles are on the way. My thinking is that they'll delete this model and replace it with some version of the Paperwhite.