Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: iPad mini retina or regular iPad?
Definitely the iPad Mini retina 34 56.67%
Definitely the regular iPad 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The new mini may not seem like the best value when you compare to Fire HDX or Nexus7.2 but it makes sense in terms of how Apple positions its own products.

Tier 1: iPad mini 1 ($299) and iPad 2 ($399)
Tier 2: iPad mini 2 ($399) and iPad Air ($499)

Some day I think we'll see a 'Pro' tier for another $100-200. Maybe with a 12" screen, or one that supports high resolution digitizing.

Then you have the memory gradations ($100x) and 4G option ($130).

Tier 1 is what you would buy for your kids maybe but otherwise are just there to compare with the much better Tier 2 devices that everyone will prefer when they do the comparison.

Likewise 16GB is really not enough for a high resolution device so that is another $100 for some very expensive memory (Amazon, Google charge $40 for the same upgrade).

All of these things are more expensive than the equivalent on Android (but you can spend just as much on an Android tablet if you want to). The main differentiator continues to be the available of high quality tablet apps that are exclusive to iOS.

But also I think Apple was concerned that mini was eroding the market for full sized iPads, whose higher price points command higher profits. Raising the mini price helps out with that. So it is perhaps no surprise that we are all thinking iPad Air is a great value.

I myself have been waiting what seems like a long time for the retina mini, complaining about how unwieldy my iPad3 seems, but with the iPad Air only a pound (mini is about .75 pound), 16mm narrower, and only $100 more, why wouldn't one just get that? For some things (PDF, sheet music, drawing, magazines, garage band) even 10" can seem cramped.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Tier 1 is what you would buy for your kids maybe
As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't feel good about punishing any kids, either, with a low-resolution screen in October 2013 or later.

Quote:
just there to compare with the much better Tier 2 devices that everyone winds up getting.
"Everyone"? I wonder... Apple may have shot themselves in the foot with the iPad mini Retina pricing. As you may have heard, iPhone 5C is not selling as well as expected, and this may also happen to iPad mini Retina now. (If we say iPad mini Retina is to iPad Air, what iPhone 5C is to iPhone 5S.)

Quote:
But also I think Apple was concerned that mini was eroding the market for full sized iPads, whose higher price points command higher profits. Raising the mini price helps out with that.
Only in theory. It's a gamble by Apple that may yet backfire on them.

Quote:
Likewise 16GB is really not enough for a high resolution device
I disagree. All of my iDevices, and the new Nexus 7, too, are 16 GB, and I find that perfectly sufficient. (What I dislike is the size bloat of iOS apps in recent years, but even so, 16 GB is enough for me. Other people's mileage may vary.)

Quote:
The main differentiator continues to be the available of high quality tablet apps that are exclusive to iOS.
Correct. Doesn't even need to be "exclusive" to iOS -- often, the same app has a much higher quality on iOS than on Android.

Quote:
For some things (PDF, sheet music, drawing, magazines, garage band) even 10" can seem cramped.
I agree. I'd definitely consider the purchase of a 12- or 13-inch tablet. (No Microsoft.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The price increase on the iPad mini is horrible. How do they expect to compete with Nexus 7 if it's $229 versus $399?

I predict Nexus 7 will steamroll over the new iPad mini in terms of market share.

Continuing to sell the original iPad 2 at $399 is pretty weird, too.
they still have the original mini as well at $299.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Did anyone notice they through in a bunch of Apple apps for free with the new hardware?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I honestly can't answer this poll yet.

I would like to hold and see each before making any decision, especially now that the new iPad air is just about 1 pound.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
they still have the original mini as well at $299
Unacceptable (especially the screen) from the point of view of hardware specs in October 2013, and absurdly overpriced, too. You can get solid, comparable Android-based tablets for $150.

Basically, Apple has decided to charge twice as much for iPad minis compared to their Android competitors. Sorry, I don't think Apple can get away with such massive overpricing. They could from 2012 to 2013, as long as there was no Retina-level competitor among the smaller Android tablets. That has now changed.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Did anyone notice they through in a bunch of Apple apps for free with the new hardware?

Dale
Saw that. No big deal; I don't use those types of apps. To impress me, they'd have to give away premium versions of their audio/music apps.

Besides, I don't think I qualify; I don't have iOS 7.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't mind having a retina mini; but only if Apple slashed the price to match the competition: $229 (16GB), $269 (32GB), and $309 (64GB).
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Speaking of "head to head" comparisons, here is one for iPad mini Retina versus new Nexus 7, proclaiming Nexus 7 to be the overall winner:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/table...t-small-tablet
Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I love that my original recipe iPad Mini is so light weight and the size works well for me, but if I wanted a tablet primarily for reading, I'd probably go with the iPad Air for better magazine and PDF reading.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Speaking of "head to head" comparisons, here is one for iPad mini Retina versus new Nexus 7, proclaiming Nexus 7 to be the overall winner:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/table...t-small-tablet
I've never quite gotten these "overall winner" types of reviews, and the weight some people place on the conclusion. Actual people put different weight on the different qualities of the devices. I'm looking for a device to read graphic novels and magazines, to get my mail (syncing to iCloud), and, less importantly, to play iGames of various sorts that will also sync to my iPhone. Build quality and display size are of paramount importance, and I've no interest in multiple user accounts, so the iPad mini is the clear winner for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I love that my original recipe iPad Mini is so light weight and the size works well for me, but if I wanted a tablet primarily for reading, I'd probably go with the iPad Air for better magazine and PDF reading.
For many people, I'd expect that would work for them! The size and weight differences are really important to me, though, so it's mini all the way.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #28
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
so the iPad mini is the clear winner for me.
I'm sure the iPad mini would be most anyone's winner if the price of the 2 devices were in any way comparable. If the price ratio is nearly 2:1, that will affect the "overall verdict" for many people.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm sure the iPad mini would be most anyone's winner if the price of the 2 devices were in any way comparable. If the price ratio is nearly 2:1, that will affect the "overall verdict" for many people.
It does for me. I don't care which OS I use - Android or iOS. I chose Android because Apple overcharges their devices.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Saw that. No big deal; I don't use those types of apps. To impress me, they'd have to give away premium versions of their audio/music apps.

Besides, I don't think I qualify; I don't have iOS 7.
It's a big deal for me because I already do use many of those apps, and the many of the ones I don't use aren't used in many cases because my current first generation doesn't support them. I'm glad that GarageBand is still free. That's a very powerful app. And I'm glad they added Pages to the free lineup. It's no Microsoft Office such as you'd get on the new Surface Pro, but it does allow you a bit more flexibility with creating and reading documents than you'll find on other tablets. I paid $9.99 for the version I have on my iPad 1.

And Calendar, which has always been free, is a great way to keep track of important dates. For example, I'm using it now to count down the days until I retire. (Have I mentioned that as of today, October 23, 2013, there are only 73 days remaining before it's Take This Job and Shove It time?)

Here's a link describing all the iPad Air's built-in apps: http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/built-in-apps/.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-23-2013 at 12:57 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote