Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #196
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm trudging along. The non-fiction books that I am reading are a bit longer than regular novels, but I'm on a page count anyway.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #197
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm on pace right now for my goal - surprisingly, since I didn't reach it last year. I am devoting more time to reading than gaming so far which I said I was going to try to do, so that's probably making a difference. Also, I got a nice new comfy mattress so if I'm reading in bed the time just goes by without me realizing it, and the next thing I know is that I've got two hours to sleep before the alarm is scheduled to go off.

Some of my books are re-reads because the series author has some new books out and I like to re-read either the series or a few books before the most recent one(s) to re-familiarize myself with the storyline and characters. It's like revisiting old friends.

I went over to Amazon the other day and scooped up a bunch of their free ebooks, knowing full well that it might be years before I get around to reading them - but, y'know they were for FREE!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #198
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I went over to Amazon the other day and scooped up a bunch of their free ebooks, knowing full well that it might be years before I get around to reading them - but, y'know they were for FREE!
I have somewhere around 7 years of books to read if you include all the free ones I have gotten.

I generally rate them based on how much I really want to read them soon, and of the higher rated ones I only have about a years worth. So far I have had a years worth for 2 years.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #199
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Well, I'm 2 books into 11. (More about my challenge in my sig)

I've read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. This was such an enjoyable read, the characters just blew me away. It was like reading a movie. Really loved it.

2nd book I read is The Painted Man by Peter V. Brett ( The Warded Man in US version).
I haven't read a better book in so long. Pure 5 star work, I loved the setting of demon infested apocalyptic world as much as the characters. Especially Arlen and Bruna Right now, before moving into Desert Spear, I'm reading these two novellas set in the same universe:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...-other-stories
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-brayan-s-gold

I kinda knew I'd branch out outside my challenge, if I come across a book like The Painted Man, so I'm fine with ignoring my challenge for a while until I finish the The Desert Spear and Daylight War.

As an end note, if you love fantasy and still haven't got around to Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle Series, get on it!
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #200
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
20 years down, 24 years to go.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #201
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm surprised that I am doing so well. I started off quite well, but unfortunately have fallen off my pace for a little bit. It took me a month to read Under the Dome, I just didn't have as much time to read. I think I'll reach my goal, or come very close to it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #202
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How are you all coming getting through the challenge books that you have set for yourself. I like to examine where I am in the stack of reading at various intervals in the year. If you take the number of books that you have set out to read/12 (12 months in the year)/4 (four weeks in a month)* 11 (we are currently in the eleventh month) = where you should be at this point to be on track. If I follow that formula I get - 85/12= 7.08/4 = 1.77 * 11 = 19.48 and I am on book number 18, I am a tad behind.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #203
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I prefer to go with days. We are 72 days in now so
(72/365 days) * (44 books) = 8.679 books in. I finished book number 21 this week, so I'm about 12.3 books ahead of schedule, which is good because I'm sensing a rather large lull in reading coming. I do tend to start way ahead of schedule and then pull back.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #204
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
How are you all coming getting through the challenge books that you have set for yourself.
I do what HIMS does based on days - 72/365 = 19.7% * 22,500 pages = 4,438 pages. I am at 5,840 pages (26.0%) and should be able to finish my current book today, so well ahead of schedule for now. I know I have a 3 week reading break coming up (I rarely get much read while traveling), so I don't think this trend will continue much longer.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #205
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have three sub-challenges, one of which is monthly, so my original plan was to aim for about 4 books a month and read 1 for each sub-challenge and 1 free choice for me. That didn't really last very long, partly because I decided to throw in the Nevil Shute for the Book Club and partly because I've been reading longer books. I'm still on track for the monthly challenge (3/12), and behind on the other two (1/8 and 1/9), but since they had lower targets (and are self-imposed anyway) I have a bit of leeway.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #206
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think I really shouldn't have set a buying target this year. 17% of the way through the year, and I'm already at 39% of my target...
19.7% of the way through the year and I've just realised that I'm only at 38.3% of my target. I might make it after all!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #207
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm way ahead of my goal, but with cataract surgeries coming up over the next several weeks I may be a bit slowed down. Also, as spring and summer approach, daily walking is a higher priority than reading. I do a lot of 10k Volkswalks and carry an ereader in my day pack for long rest breaks.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #208
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm....actually not sure how I'm doing. Numbers wise I'm doing great 11/52 books read 2,934/15,500 pages read. But it doesn't feel like I've read much (the last four books were a manga omnibus), and I'm going through a bit of the blahs right now.

I did just start Divine Misfortune, which seem both inappropriate and hilarious, though, so hopefully the mood will dissipate.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #209
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm going through a bit of the blahs right now.

I did just start Divine Misfortune, which seem both inappropriate and hilarious, though, so hopefully the mood will dissipate.
Oh, that's a fun one. I've just finished the first part of Doughnut, which is a bit mathy for some...but that's right up my alley. I mean, how could I not like the story of a man whose arm turned invisible after he misplaced a decimal point and nearly destroyed Switzerland?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #210
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Oh, that's a fun one. I've just finished the first part of Doughnut, which is a bit mathy for some...but that's right up my alley. I mean, how could I not like the story of a man whose arm turned invisible after he misplaced a decimal point and nearly destroyed Switzerland?
Wait..what!?! And yet another book finds its way on my impossibly long TBR.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote