Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #46
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iphone
Hey Chaley. If you can do the today thing that would be terrific. I'll keep checking in to grab that update. I swear this is the most fun feature in Calibre. Purely visually pleasing.
tarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #47
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarisea View Post
Hey Chaley. If you can do the today thing that would be terrific. I'll keep checking in to grab that update. I swear this is the most fun feature in Calibre. Purely visually pleasing.
It will be in next weeks release. The rule definition is shown in the following screenshot. Days are really 24 hours, not midnight to midnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	100535  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #48
tarisea
Zealot
tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.tarisea got an A in P-Chem.

Thank you Chaley. You are amazing!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #49
tarisea
Zealot

Hey Chaley so I just installed the update and it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I tried:

If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than <0> - this put the icon in every single row including the ones that the Release Date column is blank and the one that says 2 Apr 2013

If the <shelves> column has value <to-be-release>
If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <0> - this put the icon in every row that had to-be-release in the shelves column including one that says 2 Apr 2013

If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <1> - this put the icon in every row that had to-be-release in the shelves column including one that says 2 Apr 2013

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #50
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey Chaley so I just installed the update and it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I tried:

If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than <0> - this put the icon in every single row including the ones that the Release Date column is blank and the one that says 2 Apr 2013
Dates in the future will always be true. After all, they aren't more days ago than anything.

Blank dates are a problem, because the answer is undefined. But I agree, they shouldn't return "true". I will look at how to fix that.
Quote:
If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <0> - this put the icon in every row that had to-be-release in the shelves column including one that says 2 Apr 2013

If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <1> - this put the icon in every row that had to-be-release in the shelves column including one that says 2 Apr 2013
These are the same problem as the first, I think. Future dates are valid, and blank dates match.

What happens if the release date column actually has a date in it?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #51
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I have added code to check for empty dates, making them "infinite" days ago. Should be in the next release.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #52
tarisea
Zealot

If the release date actually has a date in it:
If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <1> - it puts the icon in in all of the one that have not been released yet so 2 Apr 2013 and 13 Nov 2013 but the one that has been released 7 Feb 2013 doesn't get the icon.

how do you put pics in so i can give you more detail?

Last edited by tarisea; 02-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #53
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If the release date actually has a date in it:

If the <Release Date> column is not more days ago than value <1> - it puts the icon in in all of the one that have not been released yet so 2 Apr 2013 and 13 Nov 2013 but the one that has been released 7 Feb 2013 doesn't get the icon.
Then it is doing what it is supposed to. All those dates in the future are "not more days ago than 1". For example, the 2 Apr 2013 date is around -50 days ago, and -50 is not more than 1.

What is it that you want to happen?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #54
tarisea
Zealot

Chaley the wording is seriously misleading and almost impossible to work with. I have run a few tests and this is what I figured out.

The condition is defining "not more days ago than" as any time in the future up to x number of days in the past from today.

The conditions needed is one that will equal any time in the past. Very simply "is less than today"

So basically on February 10, 2013:

4/2/2001 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
2/2/2012 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
11/10/2012 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
5/5/2013 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) FALSE no icon
2/8/2013 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #55
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Chaley the wording is seriously misleading and almost impossible to work with. I have run a few tests and this is what I figured out.

The condition is defining "not more days ago than" as any time in the future up to x number of days in the past from today.
Apologies, but I don't see the wording as misleading at all. A date in the future is "not more days ago" than any non-negative number.

I do see that it doesn't do what you want, and doesn't do what you originally asked for.
Quote:
The conditions needed is one that will equal any time in the past. Very simply "is less than today"

So basically on February 10, 2013:

4/2/2001 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
2/2/2012 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
11/10/2012 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
5/5/2013 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) FALSE no icon
2/8/2013 =IF(A1<TODAY(),true,false) TRUE icon
Although that condition specification does what you want, it is as restrictive as the one I implemented. What happens if someone wants to know if the date is in the range from one month ago to one month from now? Older than a year ago? Between 6 months and a year from now? More than a year in the future?

I have added several more conditions that permit building ranges. The conditions are:
  • is set -- true if the cell is not empty
  • is not set -- true if the cell is empty
  • is more days ago than N -- true if the date is less than (today - N days). By definition, dates in the future will not match.
  • is fewer days ago than N -- true if the date is greater than or equal to (today - N days). By definition, dates in the future will match.
  • is more days from now than N -- true if the date is greater than (today + N days). By definition, dates in the past will not match.
  • is fewer days from now than N -- true if the date is less than or equal to (today + N days). By definition, dates in the past will match.
You can use these conditions to construct the range you want. For example, it appears that as you want any date in the past, you would use a rule with one condition: "is more days ago than 0" (or "is fewer days from now than 0" if 'today' is to match). If you want a range of dates in the last year but not the future, you would use two conditions: "is fewer days ago than 365" and "is fewer days from now than 0". If you want dates more than a year ago, use "is more days ago than 365". If you want a range of dates in the 60 days around today, use two conditions: "is fewer days ago than 30" and "is fewer days from now than 30". And so on.

Edit: changed the discussion to describe more precisely the matching rules. The "(and equal to)" clauses were added. Also note that the matching was changed from "24-hour days" to "calendar days". Only the date is used when matching. The time of day is ignored.

Last edited by chaley; 02-10-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: edit: more accurate matching rules description
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #56
tarisea
Zealot

That's great. Looking forward to playing with it.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #57
tarisea
Zealot

Hi Chaley. First I want to thank you again. I love this feature. Also I wanted to ask a question: the choice is icon or icon with text, I don't notice a difference, there is no text.

I would like to create a separate column with just text for it just to do some filtering but i can't seem to get a column to work.

I would like a column - if there is a checkmark in read put checkmark. Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I am not in a place where I can test, but from memory the "with text" option works for columns that do not have "use checkmarks" checked. I remember testing adding icons to the author column keeping the display of the name. I added checkmarks and other icons.

I am not sure what you are saying about the read column. You should be able to add an icon to any column you want if read is true assuming it is a yes/no column.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #59
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I can run some tests now. Things seem to work as I intended.

I have two columns "Text with a fixed set of values" with "Show checkmarks" unchecked. The permitted values for each column are blank and "yes,no,one,two,three". I put the same value in each column for 5 books. I then created identical icon rules for each column except that one has "with text" and one has "with no text".

The result:

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	102820
The first column has the text along side the icons with the text aligned. The second column has no text where there is an icon, and the text and icons are aligned.

For completeness, the rules:

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	102821
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Thanks for that bit of detail. I missed it and had two rules, one with text and one without for the same column.

While fixing that, I realised I could have multiple conditions. But, they all have to be true. Is there any way to do an OR? I suppose that's really an enhancement request.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote