Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #136
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Duckie -- Comic is my goto font. However, as you said, it only had files for regular and bold. Did I understand you to say that you can just put those 2 files in the fonts folder and it works? I duplicated the two files and and named the regular dupe as italics and bold dupe as bolditalics. It all works, even italics, but could I have gotten by with just 2 files in fonts folder?
Yes, the 2 files would have been enough. Renaming the file is not going to change bold to italic or regular. Not sure what happens with other fonts, but in the case of Comic Sans it works. For some fonts that have completely different looking italics it might not work, or look strange. Have not actually tried to only use regular and bold on fonts that do have all 4 styles ( reg, bold, italic, bold-italic).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #137
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It takes some practice. Upper RIGHT corner (where the bookmark is) Lower LEFT corner where the Time To Read is. It flashes quickly which means it took a screen shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Like Blossom said, it may take a bit of practice to make sure you are touching both corners at the exact same time. You'll know you got it when the screen flashes.
Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try this weekend
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #138
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes, the 2 files would have been enough. Renaming the file is not going to change bold to italic or regular. Not sure what happens with other fonts, but in the case of Comic Sans it works. For some fonts that have completely different looking italics it might not work, or look strange. Have not actually tried to only use regular and bold on fonts that do have all 4 styles ( reg, bold, italic, bold-italic).
When I first installed the Amasis fonts that I used on my other Kindle they weren't linked together. On the other Kindles they don't have to be named the same Font Family. What happen was the default font compensated for the missing Bold and Bold Italic. Once I linked all them to the same family then it worked but if you have missing parts of a family you should see Caecilia's font where the missing parts are.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #139
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I think I have reached the limit of the fonts...I already had CharisSil installed, I switched them with Compact, and added 3 more different fonts. PW got stuck and hanged...I restarted, deleted one font, restarted...It again froze, so I deleted one more font and left only two extra fonts.
But now, all alt fonts disappeared
I think I'll leave the poor PW to rest for a bit
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #140
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I think I have reached the limit of the fonts...I already had CharisSil installed, I switched them with Compact, and added 3 more different fonts. PW got stuck and hanged...I restarted, deleted one font, restarted...It again froze, so I deleted one more font and left only two extra fonts.
But now, all alt fonts disappeared
I think I'll leave the poor PW to rest for a bit
If it goes into auto reboot mode it means the font is bad and you need to remove it. Had it happen plenty of times while I was trying some modified fonts on the PW. Never froze those. I had the ALT fonts disappear too after removing a font, Restart should fix it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #141
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
No renaming does not help. You need to change the metadata. Check out Type Light, that is the freeware version of Type 3.2 font editor with some restrictions - but it is free for personal use. Open font, go to font -> rename font and it takes care of everything, then save and throw on PW. Works great, just tested.
Just tried this out and it does work nicely!

I've been getting some private questions. So I will post a answer to them here.

In order to get all four: Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic to work together they must have the same family name. The program above is free and works great for doing that. Look at the bolded words in the quote above on how to rename the metadata of a font. Just change the Family Name of each font in the set to match each other.

If the font still does not work then check that the classification is correct.
In the renaming box where you changed the Family Name. The Sub Family Name must match what the font classification is. Regular, Italic, Bold & Bold Italic. So say you want to use a Bold font as a Regular font you would change the Sub Family Name from Bold to Regular.

I hope this helps some.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #142
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
^^ Thank you Blossom for explaining that in greater detail. I was going to recommend FontForge initially, but I found the pre-built executable for Windows to be less than satisfactory. I could not even let it run long enough to open font, change name, export font. It is appealing though, since it is free, full-feature font editor (unlike Type Light), and availlable for multiple platforms. Caveeat, not convenient as you need to build it yourself. The last binary for Windows won't work on Win7 (and I tried with different machines).

p.s.: Not everybody is fortunate to have expensive font editing software at home, unlike you, Blossom.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
^^ Thank you Blossom for explaining that in greater detail. I was going to recommend FontForge initially, but I found the pre-built executable for Windows to be less than satisfactory. I could not even let it run long enough to open font, change name, export font. It is appealing though, since it is free, full-feature font editor (unlike Type Light), and availlable for multiple platforms. Caveeat, not convenient as you need to build it yourself. The last binary for Windows won't work on Win7 (and I tried with different machines).

p.s.: Not everybody is fortunate to have expensive font editing software at home, unlike you, Blossom.
I've also tried FontForge and found the Windows build to crash very fast. Not useful at all.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #144
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

I am just lucky hubby took that Typography course awhile back.
Not that I know what to do with the program other than add weight and change metadata.

Type Lite is nice and it does what the average person adding fonts needs done. I like it better than Font Creator where there are several several steps to rename a font or change the classification.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #145
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I am just lucky hubby took that Typography course awhile back.
Not that I know what to do with the program other than add weight and change metadata.

Type Lite is nice and it does what the average person adding fonts needs done. I like it better than Font Creator where there are several several steps to rename a font or change the classification.
I have Type Lite and cannot see where to add weight......geez.... not to familiar with typography.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #146
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I have Type Lite and cannot see where to add weight......geez.... not to familiar with typography.
I think you need pro version to do that sorry. Lite only allows small things like changing metadata.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #147
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also have access to font creator where is it found under what setting?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #148
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I also have access to font creator where is it found under what setting?

Thanks
Tools/Glyph Transformer /Effects /Bold Then play with the two settings which are 25 and 20 by default I always start with 15/10

It wont work for all fonts some warp but most look nice after gaining some weight.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #149
tmf2
Zealot

Thanks Blossom !

Dennis
Old 01-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #150
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
In Type Light 3.2, open your font, then click on Font on the top menu bar, then click on description. A box will come up where you can add weight and other options.

Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote