Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
SoulkeepHL
SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 5
[Android] Can any app directly read the Calibre database?

As the title states, are there any Android apps that can directly read the Calibre database files? Not via OPDS or any other intermediary, just the db itself. I've poked around a fair bit, both here and on the greater interwebs, and my method of library management must be fairly uncommon, as I can't find any answers, or anyone else asking the same question. The closest I've seen is that Calibre Companion says it can manage your device library, but I wasn't sure if that meant it could read a Calibre library stored on a device, or if it just created its own library on a device.
SoulkeepHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulkeepHL View Post
As the title states, are there any Android apps that can directly read the Calibre database files? Not via OPDS or any other intermediary, just the db itself. I've poked around a fair bit, both here and on the greater interwebs, and my method of library management must be fairly uncommon, as I can't find any answers, or anyone else asking the same question. The closest I've seen is that Calibre Companion says it can manage your device library, but I wasn't sure if that meant it could read a Calibre library stored on a device, or if it just created its own library on a device.
Calibre companion integrates with calibre to copy parts (or all) of a calibre library to the device. It makes a copy of the metadata for the transferred books and updates that copy on every connect as a wireless device. From what you say, this isn't what you want.

You could try Leger Calibre (an Android app). It claims to read a calibre DB. I don't know if it works or what it actually does. Reading its description, you must copy the calibre database to the device. The app author specifically says that it won't work on a network share or cloud storage. For me, copying the library is worse than managing a subset of books, but it may be what you want to do.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
SoulkeepHL
SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SoulkeepHL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Thanks for the info. It wouldn't actually be copying the library, I run Calibre entirely portably in DropBox, app, library, everything, and then use DropSync on my Android devices. As it is, on my Android devices, I either have to browse the file structure in Moon+ and open the single book I want, or rerun an import on the entire eBook directory when ever I import new books into Calibre. I was hoping I could just open the same database on Android, so it'd be completely seamless from the desktop to the phone/tablet.

Edit: That said, the ultimate goal is to keep my entire library (currently quite meager) automagically synced (in real time) across all my devices. If anyone has an alternate way of accomplishing this, I'm all ears.

Last edited by SoulkeepHL; 01-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
SoulkeepHL is offline   Reply With Quote