Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
TOC and the book title

Since I use h1, h2, and h3 heads when writing the title page, Sigil recognizes the title, sub-title, and author & publisher as chapters in the book. What is the best way to head this off? Shall I define h4, h5, and h6 to serve that purpose, or will that just result in having the title TOC'd as a very minor entry?
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
Since I use h1, h2, and h3 heads when writing the title page, Sigil recognizes the title, sub-title, and author & publisher as chapters in the book. What is the best way to head this off? Shall I define h4, h5, and h6 to serve that purpose, or will that just result in having the title TOC'd as a very minor entry?
You'll probably receive different answers to this one. The easiest is removing the entries from the toc by deselecting them in the popup that appears after generating it in Sigil.

I would however advise you to avoid header tags for things you don't want to appear in the TOC. Headers have structural meanings which go beyond "making the font larger", for instance I believe they are also used by screen readers to partition content.

In the books I produce I usually want the title-page to appear in the TOC, so I leave the book title as a differently styled h1 tag, and make classes for the other title page paragraphs which I then style.

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-25-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You should not use heading tags for things that are not headings.

I use something like:

Code:
<p class="title">Book Title</p>
<p class="subtitle">Book Subtitle</p>
<p class="author">Author</p>
<p class="date">Date</p>
and style p.title, p.subtitle, p.author, and p.date the way I like them. Also, I usually have a specific CSS file for the title page, so it doesn't interfere with the main book styles, and I can share it easily with other books.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Whatever Jellby says is pretty much the definitive answer

Styling is very much a matter of preference, but here are the definitions I use, renamed according to his example (several definitions, like font-face, are inherited in addition to these):
Code:
p.title { 
	font-size : 1.7em; 
	text-align : center; 
	margin : 3.9em 0 0 0; 
}
p.subtitle { 
	font-size : 1.33em; 
	margin : 1em 0 0 0; 
}
p.author { 
	font-size : 1.1em; 
	margin : 2em 0 0 0; 
}
p.date { 
	font-size : 1em; 
	margin : 3em 0 0 0; 
}

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-25-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Adding to he other good advice:
When generating the TOC, there are (un)tick boxes to flag H tags to not be used for the TOC by Sigil

IMHO If you just want Size, Weight: you are best using the CSS to control these and NOT H tags (so old school HTML2 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
That's great, thanks. (Yes, I have been unchecking the multiple TOC items for the title page, but it does make me nervous, and separately styling them will cheer me up no end.)
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
That's great, thanks. (Yes, I have been unchecking the multiple TOC items for the title page, but it does make me nervous, and separately styling them will cheer me up no end.)
Unchecking the items in the Generate Table Of Contents dialog does not delete those headings/items from your document.

All it does it add a sigilNotInTOC class attribute to your heading (so it can remember you excluded it when you re-run the TOC generation), and then it excludes it from the items that will be put into your TOC. If you uncheck the Show TOC Items Only option at the bottom of the dialog you can see the entries are still there, just without a checkmark.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You should not use heading tags for things that are not headings.

I use something like:

Code:
<p class="title">Book Title</p>
<p class="subtitle">Book Subtitle</p>
<p class="author">Author</p>
<p class="date">Date</p>
and style p.title, p.subtitle, p.author, and p.date the way I like them. Also, I usually have a specific CSS file for the title page, so it doesn't interfere with the main book styles, and I can share it easily with other books.
This is actually an "issue" at our shop. When we get noobs, a lot of them don't understand that headers are structural, having not ever really grasped what they were used for in Word. (In other words, no pun intended, they never used Word in Outline view, or for large, structured docs, and thus think that h1-h6 are just fancy large fonts.). I get a lot of submitted epubs, from applicants, as well, that use headers in lieu of CSS, because people don't understand that they're not just styling choices. Very frustrating, and something I wish would be more emphasized, wherever they are obtaining their education. (Not to disparage Oldpilot's efforts--I did it myself sometimes as a shortcut when I was starting out. )

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote