Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #121
pabloaguirre78
pabloaguirre78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Try to install OpenSSL. (And replace path to it in the kindle_update_tool.py file).
Thanks for such a prompt reply!
I'm afraid I tried your suggestion, but I got the same error (I installed and used OpenSSL v1.0.0e from http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html).

The only mod of kindle_update_tool.py file I did was:
Line 32 -> BASE_CMD = "c:\\OpenSSL-Win32\\bin\\openssl.exe dgst -sha256 "
and since I got the same error (and not something like 'file not found') I guess the openssl replacement did work.

Any chance you plan to release the binaries for loc_es as you did for loc_ru? I hate to ask people to do stuff I can do by myself, but in this case it seems I can't

Thank you again!

Best,
Pablo
pabloaguirre78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #122
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloaguirre78 View Post
Any chance you plan to release the binaries for loc_es as you did for loc_ru? I hate to ask people to do stuff I can do by myself, but in this case it seems I can't
Already done
http://www.siralex.info/wp-content/p...load.php?id=10
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #123
pabloaguirre78
pabloaguirre78 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Worked like a charm!
Thank you so so much! You are a genius!

Best,
Pablo
pabloaguirre78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #124
varics
varics began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hungarian localization v1.5 released! It is compatible with fw 3.3.
You can download from here: http://forum.ekonyvolvaso.info/topic...__321#entry321
varics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #125
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Sir Alex,
Amazon seems to have changed some files in 3.3. I.e. the "Send-to-Kindle E-Mail" text in the settings does not translate any more. How do I extract the files out of the bin to fix this?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #126
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Any advice, how to extract all the files out of a Amazon bin. I have Sir Alex files, but Amazon has made some minor changes in 3.3 which do not translate to the localisation actually. (See post above). Is it possible to do this with the update file for 3.3?
Additionally, has anyone already extracted the 4.0(.1) files of the new kindle?
I am looking for the webadress integrated to direct the kindle to the Kindle-store. Would like to modify my K3 to go to the German Kindle-Shop sites instead of the English ones. All the Kindle-Store is not "translatable", it is depending on the page you are accessing.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #127
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@diba. K3Translator.jar can be used to extract strings from JAR files. I'll give you instructions tomorrow (All my files at work)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #128
ventomarme
ventomarme began at the beginning.

@ Sir Alex: I follow this box and see so many readers in europe get benefit from your great work on localizing Kindle interface. And, I really want to have a version for Vietnamese users. However, I am a little confused by reading all the comments and updates in this box and don't know where to start.

I want to have the .bin update to turn Kindle 3's layout (keyboard, firmware 3.3) to Vietnamese one. I guess the task will have the following steps :

1. Translate the original english texts of Kindle into Vietnamese.
For this step, which file will I use to translate? I've downloaded the k3_0.04_3.0.3.zip package from this box. Is it the most updated and suitable for firmware 3.3? (I already know that I will replace the Russian text with Vietnamese).

2. Email you the finished one and you will build the .bin file.
I see that you're developing a tool for users to do the task themselves. If the tool is available (in english interface), pls post the download link. This awshome tool will save you time to help all of us.

Please help me with the above. I would love to see Vietnamese on my Kindle.

Thank you very much for your invaluable contributions to Kindle users!!!
ventomarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #129
Sir Alex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Any advice, how to extract all the files out of a Amazon bin. I have Sir Alex files, but Amazon has made some minor changes in 3.3 which do not translate to the localisation actually. (See post above). Is it possible to do this with the update file for 3.3?
Additionally, has anyone already extracted the 4.0(.1) files of the new kindle?
I am looking for the webadress integrated to direct the kindle to the Kindle-store. Would like to modify my K3 to go to the German Kindle-Shop sites instead of the English ones. All the Kindle-Store is not "translatable", it is depending on the page you are accessing.
1. Extract booklet and lib folders from Kindle. (/opt/amazon/ebook/)
2. Copy bcel-5.2.jar, K3Translator.jar into d:\kindle
3. Create folder d:\kindle\strings
4. use this command line to extract strings from JARs:
Code:
java -cp bcel-5.2.jar;K3Translator.jar Translator es d:\kindle\booklet d:\kindle\strings
java -cp bcel-5.2.jar;K3Translator.jar Translator es d:\kindle\lib d:\kindle\strings
(You can replace folder d:\kindle with you want)
5. Find differences between old strings files and new, and update translations (Do not delete any translations, if you find new string or modified string, simply add new one)
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #130
diba
Addict

First a big THX Sir Alex,

and now my stupid question(s):
I do not see a /opt/amazon/ebook/ folder on my kindle, and I have set hidden folders to be visible.
Can I extract out of the update_kindle_3.3_B008.bin of 3.3 downloaded from Amazon, and if yes, how?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #131
Sir Alex
Groupie

@diba, use USBNetwork to access to the Kindle root file system
Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #132
diba
Addict

thx again, will try, not to brick my k3
Old 10-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #133
Sir Alex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventomarme View Post
For this step, which file will I use to translate? I've downloaded the k3_0.04_3.0.3.zip package from this box. Is it the most updated and suitable for firmware 3.3? (I already know that I will replace the Russian text with Vietnamese).
Download latest sources from SVN (http://code.google.com/p/k3-loc/). In the root folder you'll find README.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #134
Sir Alex
Groupie

Good news, some sellers contributed to me Kindle 4. So I will start to translate it to other languages
For first step, I will extract root file system (via Serial console) and start to analyze how Amazon support multilanguage in K4.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #135
diba
Addict

Quote:
1. Extract booklet and lib folders from Kindle. (/opt/amazon/ebook/)
2. Copy bcel-5.2.jar, K3Translator.jar into d:\kindle
3. Create folder d:\kindle\strings
4. use this command line to extract strings from JARs:
Code:
java -cp bcel-5.2.jar;K3Translator.jar Translator es d:\kindle\booklet d:\kindle\strings
java -cp bcel-5.2.jar;K3Translator.jar Translator es d:\kindle\lib d:\kindle\strings
(You can replace folder d:\kindle with you want)
5. Find differences between old strings files and new, and update translations (Do not delete any translations, if you find new string or modified string, simply add new one)
Has anyone with usbnetwork experience done this with 3.3 already and could/would provide the files? I do german translation for up to 3.2.1 and would need 3.3 files to adopt some englisch files which are not in 3.2.1.

Solved, thx

Last edited by diba; 11-18-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: solved

Tags
localization