Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #106
steved44
steved44 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
Hi there everybody. I'm a bit new to the ebook game, but there's a point of basic principle here that perhaps someone can explain to me?

I now live in New Zealand, but used to use Waterstones a lot before I left the UK. Top bookstore IMO. So what is the fundamental difference between me buying a paperback book from Waterstones on a trip to the UK then reading it when I get back here, and me buying an ebook from Waterstones from NZ and downloading it and reading it here. Either way I've bought the thing in the UK but read it in NZ.

Or am I missing something important?
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #107
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
The only difference is that fewer middlemen exist in the digital transaction.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #108
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
Hi there everybody. I'm a bit new to the ebook game, but there's a point of basic principle here that perhaps someone can explain to me?

I now live in New Zealand, but used to use Waterstones a lot before I left the UK. Top bookstore IMO. So what is the fundamental difference between me buying a paperback book from Waterstones on a trip to the UK then reading it when I get back here, and me buying an ebook from Waterstones from NZ and downloading it and reading it here. Either way I've bought the thing in the UK but read it in NZ.

Or am I missing something important?
If you buy a paperback (even when using the Internet) the point of sale is the location of the shop.
If you buy an e-book the point of sale is your location. There are different ways to determine your location: your account address, your credit card billing address, your IP-address, etc..
Publishers usually only have the rights to sell a book in their own country. That is why the publishers have forced all e-book shops to implement geo-restrictions.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georestrictions, lock-out, sony, waterstones