Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Searching Large # of books

I've just received my 1st Kindle - I like to keep all of my books on the reader, so I can read whatever I want, anywhere...

The Kindle doesn't support nested folders & I've found that creating collections is too painful (for 1000+ books).

My tendency is to look for books by author, so I figured I'd use the search function (sort of like creating collections on the fly). The problem I've found is that searching not only looks at the title & author, but also searches text within the book.

It seems to me that if there was one more search category (search Title & Author only) - then it would be fairly simple to find what I want quickly...

Anyone know how to make a feature request to Amazon??

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
You can get faster access to title/author is you sort your home screen alphabetically. This can also give you fast access to a specific spot in the list (You don't have to next-page all the way to 'z'!) See the user guide pages 48-50 for more info.

I know that doesn't do exactly what you're asking for, but it should help until Amazon improves things.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I have now the same problem (it was not a problem with a couple of dozen books). Is there a fix for this? mpeg2, have you entered a request?

Thanxx, Mixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeg2 View Post
I've just received my 1st Kindle - I like to keep all of my books on the reader, so I can read whatever I want, anywhere...

The Kindle doesn't support nested folders & I've found that creating collections is too painful (for 1000+ books).

My tendency is to look for books by author, so I figured I'd use the search function (sort of like creating collections on the fly). The problem I've found is that searching not only looks at the title & author, but also searches text within the book.

It seems to me that if there was one more search category (search Title & Author only) - then it would be fairly simple to find what I want quickly...

Anyone know how to make a feature request to Amazon??

Rich
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Does this matter? Even though it searches the text, authors and titles matching the search string are displayed first in the search results.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
You can get faster access to title/author is you sort your home screen alphabetically. This can also give you fast access to a specific spot in the list (You don't have to next-page all the way to 'z'!) See the user guide pages 48-50 for more info.

I know that doesn't do exactly what you're asking for, but it should help until Amazon improves things.
What I find ironic in your post is providing a Page Number reference to the User Guide but when I opened the user guide on my Kindle3, I cannot get to a specific page and had no idea what to search for to find your reference. I downloaded the pdf (on computer) and than found it. And I'm not picking on you, your info was really something I did not know, but the fact that the Kindle uses locations so I could not search or jump to a page.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
MaxsMom
MaxsMom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a Kindle 2 and also have so many books on it that it makes it very difficult to find a certain book without going page by page. Does anyone one have a solution for this. Thanks in advance for your help
MaxsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you don't want to take the time to set up and organize collections for your huge Kindle library... I have the perfect solution, but you're not gonna like it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
MaxsMom

I will just be honest I am not even sure how to set up and organize my collection. I am not as familiar as I would like to be with Kindle, that is way I was asking for help on this forum. I would apperciate any help that is offered.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsMom
I will just be honest I am not even sure how to set up and organize my collection. I am not as familiar as I would like to be with Kindle, that is way I was asking for help on this forum. I would apperciate any help that is offered.
Sorry, I don't use collections myself (but only because I never keep more than a half-a-dozen or so ebooks on my Kindle at any given time). I'm sure some kind soul more familiar with collections can help you get started the easiest way possible.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
MaxsMom

I have to tell you DiapDealer, I wish that I could just take all of the books that are on my Kindle off (I have them stored on my computer external hard drive on Calibre) and just put about a dozen on my Kindle at a time. But the only way I know to do that is delete the books from my Kindle one at a time.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsMom View Post
I have to tell you DiapDealer, I wish that I could just take all of the books that are on my Kindle off (I have them stored on my computer external hard drive on Calibre) and just put about a dozen on my Kindle at a time. But the only way I know to do that is delete the books from my Kindle one at a time.
From the Kindle itself you can only delete one book at a time. But if you plug your kindle in to your PC and delete everything stored in the documents folder (do make sure there is nothing you want to keep or else make a copy of the files first)

Re collections, please refer to this amazon help page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...375840&#k2sort
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsMom View Post
You can connect your Kindle to your computer and delete whatever books you like in one swoop (either via Calibre or Windows Explorer/Mac Finder).

If you kind of have an idea of how you want to organize you books take a look at the collection management options available and pick the one that closest meets your needs.

I'm like DiapDealer and prefer not to have more than 2 or 3 pages of books on my Kindles at one time.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can connect your Kindle to your computer and delete whatever books you like in one swoop (either via Calibre or Windows Explorer/Mac Finder).

If you kind of have an idea of how you want to organize you books take a look at the collection management options available and pick the one that closest meets your needs.

I'm like DiapDealer and prefer not to have more than 2 or 3 pages of books on my Kindles at one time.
What is the name of the folder that we should look for to find all of our Kindle books on the PC?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
MaxsMom

Thanks KindleWorm - I think I will do much better just keeping a few books on my Kindle and the rest on my computer. I am never gone from my computer for more than a day or two. Thanks so much for the help
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I wish that I could just take all of the books that are on my Kindle off (I have them stored on my computer external hard drive on Calibre) and just put about a dozen on my Kindle at a time. But the only way I know to do that is delete the books from my Kindle one at a time.
If you plug your Kindle into your computer with the USB cord, you can browse the 'Documents' folder and select multiple ebooks for deletion. The filenames on the Kindle usually contain the title of the ebook, so they're fairly easy to indentify.

Oops! I see you use Calibre, so your books are probably in subfolders (based on author name) in your Documents folder. You can delete multiple folders under the Document just the same way.

Or if you just wanted to truly start over, you could always Reset to Factory Defaults (under the Settings menu), re-register your Kindle and only load the books you want on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsMom
I think I will do much better just keeping a few books on my Kindle and the rest on my computer.
That's how I roll. Calibre is my library... the Kindle is my library cart.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-01-2011 at 10:09 PM.