Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Styles for book title and highest level sections

What styles are most appropriate for an ebook title in the title page, and the highest level sections such as chapters or parts?

If I use Heading 1/<H1> for the title, should highest level sections be Heading 2/<H2>? Heading 1 for both the title and highest level sections? Or maybe the title should be formatted differently without heading styles?
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
What styles are most appropriate for an ebook title in the title page, and the highest level sections such as chapters or parts?

If I use Heading 1/<H1> for the title, should highest level sections be Heading 2/<H2>? Heading 1 for both the title and highest level sections? Or maybe the title should be formatted differently without heading styles?
I believe in K.I.S.S.

So I set the Title to H1

Any "Parts or Books" as H2

and Chapters always to H3 , regardless of presence/lack of H2.

The TOC will indent properly
Title
Part1
Chapters
Part2
More chapters (those belonging to Part 2)
Partx
. . .

You can still do additional H level styling via the stylesheet
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer chapter titles set as H2 and if you have a separate page for part/sections, use H1. Also, I prefer the titles/headings to be in a sans-serif font with the body in a serif font.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
shall1028
Nameless Being

What I have been doing is reserving H1, H2, H3, etc. for the body of the work only. H3 as a basic chapter header and H1 & H2 for higher level items like Books and Parts.

For the title page I have a #titlepage "id" in my CSS file under which I create a class for .title and .subtitle and .author.

Steven
Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

H3 is too small for a chapter title (IMHO).
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I just use <h1> for chapters. If there are parts or higher-level divisions I use <h1 class="part"> or similar. For the book title, author, date, etc. I create a title page with <p class="title">, <p class="author">, etc.

But I create all my ePUBs manually, including styles and NCX, so maybe this solution is not the best for working with Sigil
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why do you always use H3 for chapters?
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What are you viewing on?

A H2 "Chapter XX"
just about fills the line on my reader. (Level 3 of 5 Zoom. a tiny bit bigger than the dead tree version paperback text )
put a in sub-title , Which is why I use H3

Last edited by theducks; 07-20-2010 at 12:14 PM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe in K.I.S.S.

So I set the Title to H1

Any "Parts or Books" as H2

The TOC will indent properly
Title
Part1
Chapters
Part2
More chapters (those belonging to Part 2)
Partx
. . .

You can still do additional H level styling via the stylesheet
That's exactly how I do it. It makes sense, after all. Multiple "ultimate" headings is illogical and unnecessarily confusing. What's more important than the title, ie, the book itself? Volumes or Parts are obviously next, followed by Chapters, Sections and Subsections. That leaves you H6 for Sub-Subsections, which are pretty rare.

Use all 6 standard headings properly, and style them to suit yourself. I've only had one book that required more levels of organization. (I used <h6 class="h7"> as my header, but there are probably better solutions.)

Workarounds for individual readers aside, anything else is bad structural markup, in my opinion. And even those workarounds bear the danger of becoming accepted (bad) practice.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hmm... we are being a bit naive aren't we? CSS file excerpt follows:

h1 {font-size: 1.5em;}
h2 {font-size: 2em;}
h3 (font-size: 12em;}

There we go; an H3 that is much larger than an H2 and an H2 that is a bit larger than an H1.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well, crap, I don't do anything that fanciful. :-)

I use an h1 title attribute for the ="Title Page," and h1 for my chapters. I use h2 for everything else like acknowledgments, dedications, sub-headers blah-de-dah. If needed, that gives me h3-h6 for everything else. I style the text on the Title Page via css so the title and the author name have enough bang for the buck without worrying about using built in header styles. {shrug}. I'm all about the K.I.S.S.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Hmm... we are being a bit naive aren't we? CSS file excerpt follows:

h1 {font-size: 1.5em;}
h2 {font-size: 2em;}
h3 (font-size: 12em;}

There we go; an H3 that is much larger than an H2 and an H2 that is a bit larger than an H1.
I prefer the default sizes for H1, H2, H3, H4...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I prefer the default sizes for H1, H2, H3, H4...
But the default is implementation-specific. You may be satisfied with whatever default you see in ADE, or in the Sony reader... but your next reader could have all H* sizes default to normal text size, for instance, or a default H3 that is way too big for you...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote