Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Fire OS 5.3.3

Amazon is rolling out Fire OS 5.3.3.0 for 5th and 6th generation Fire tablets and 5.3.3.3 for 4th generation.

Besides "general improvements and performance enhancements" it includes:

Quote:
Low Power Mode - Optimize your device’s display settings to conserve power. The mode turns off automatically when your Fire is charging.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The 4th gen updates are not yet available (still shows 5.3.1.1 at the respective update download pages). However I noticed there were 4 'component updates' when I checked my HD6, and I have updated those (no idea which components were involved).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
My wife got the 5.3.3.3 update today on her HD6. First notice was the opening screen announcing Alexa was now installed and available.

I'm still not seeing the updates for the 4th gen Fires available for download and manual install.

Several other HD6 Fires that I just registered to her account yesterday have not yet gotten the update, nor has my own 4th gen HD7.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
My wife got the 5.3.3.3 update today on her HD6. First notice was the opening screen announcing Alexa was now installed and available.

I'm still not seeing the updates for the 4th gen Fires available for download and manual install.

Several other HD6 Fires that I just registered to her account yesterday have not yet gotten the update, nor has my own 4th gen HD7.
Interesting. I had kind of given up on the HD6 getting Alexa. I keep mine mostly turned off these days (otherwise the battery drains out in a couple of days) so I'll probably wind up waiting for the update to show up as a download. I'm not sure that this feature will be enough to give my HD6 a new lease on life, but I'll certainly try it out.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Quote:
My wife got the 5.3.3.0 update today on her HD6. First notice was the opening screen announcing Alexa was now installed and available.

As of April 18, the 5.3.3.0 update is now available for download and manual install on 4th generation Kindle fires.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As of April 18, the 5.3.3.0 update is now available for download and manual install on 4th generation Kindle fires.
They must have waited until just after I checked yesterday. At any rate, looking forward to playing with it. Glad I didn't have to buy a new Fire just to do this.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

So I wanted to set up my newly updated HD6 so it remains in 'Alexa standby' mode:
- plugged into charger
- enabled Developer Mode so I can turn on Stay Awake (screen won't turn off while charging)
- paired keyboard so I can press its Home button as well as onscreen Home, use media control buttons, etc

So far so good.

A slight problem I was having (and maybe still do) is that the screen locked after a few minutes, and I had to unlock to use Alexa. I changed Display Sleep to 15 seconds (it had been 5 minutes). Now (with Never Sleep enabled) the screen dims after 15 seconds but doesn't seem to lock, even after a number of minutes (cannot explain why this works, but not complaining). In any case, I can unlock with keyboard or screen gestures.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-19-2017 at 04:36 PM.