Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
susmoka
Enthusiast
susmoka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Trying to Jailbreak KT4 brand new with firmware 5.11.0

Hi,

I have a brand new Kindle Basic 3 (2019) / KT4 with Serial: G0910L... that I just unpacked, and it’s running firmware 5.11.0 and I would like to jailbreak it.

I have moved the Merchant.zip into the root folder, and searched for ;merchant after unplugging the Kindle, but it does nothing. Why is it not working?
The Kindle is brand new, I haven’t registered it or connected it to the Wifi yet.

Thanks in advance
susmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You need to install *factory* image of 5.11 for KT4 first, then do the merchant thing again.
Details here (read everything carefully before attempting anything): JB Wiki
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
After you install Jailbreak, install JB Hotfix too.
Then you can revert back to *customer* firmware, which you can download from the Amazon website for your specific Kindle.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@susmoka:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
TL;DR: Identify your device, install the appropriate factory image like any other FW update. Once it's done (it will take a while, longer than a "normal" FW update), you can install the Factory JB.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
susmoka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
You need to install *factory* image of 5.11 for KT4 first, then do the merchant thing again.
Details here (read everything carefully before attempting anything): JB Wiki
Thank you! Will do this.

My question is, after installing the Factory FW, and jailbreaking my Kindle, will I be able to run an earlier version of the firmware than 5.11.0 on it?
I was planning to try to install one of the really early Paperwhite 2 firmwares, e.g. FW 5.4.5 or smth like that, because I prefer the interface of that. Will it run on this new Kindle?
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@susmoka:

Quote:
You are *not* able to downgrade a Kindle, which means you will have to be running a FW version <= to the factory image we have on hand.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by susmoka View Post
Thank you! Will do this.

My question is, after installing the Factory FW, and jailbreaking my Kindle, will I be able to run an earlier version of the firmware than 5.11.0 on it?
I was planning to try to install one of the really early Paperwhite 2 firmwares, e.g. FW 5.4.5 or smth like that, because I prefer the interface of that. Will it run on this new Kindle?
You really, really should never try to install a different model firmware on a Kindle.
About the only thing THE SAME between models is the "Kindle" name on the device, they are always very different internally.

Note:
The packaging of the series 5.x devices are all "model locked", both Amazon and MobileRead.
Which of course does not mean that people haven't tried it, just to discovered how to brick their device.
Similar to people that find the "Erase All" featured command, and wonder: Gee, what does this do?

Last edited by knc1; 07-10-2019 at 06:45 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note:
The packaging of the series 5.x devices are all "model locked", both Amazon and MobileRead.
Which of course does not mean that people haven't tried it, just to discovered how to brick their device.
I'm guessing brute force by serial method or something?

I accidentally copied the wrong firmware update to my PW4 because of Amazon's confusing naming and the device just deleted it.
update_kindle_paperwhite_v2
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm guessing brute force by serial method or something?

I accidentally copied the wrong firmware update to my PW4 because of Amazon's confusing naming and the device just deleted it.
update_kindle_paperwhite_v2
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2
Having the system immediately delete an incorrect package is the intended result, both here and at Amazon.
BUT
You are correct, people can get inventive just for the heck of it.

Back when BranchDelay was helping out here, he came up with some other things. Some worked, some did not.

And there have been other people here, well experienced people, who have had to return devices (for whatever reason they could invent).

So my recommendation is to not try over-riding the model-locking of packages.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Official updates have a stricter (i.e., perfectly sane) model checking than factory FW.
You *can* get some factory FW to go through on the wrong device. An official update, on the other hand, much harder .

(Technically, official updates are model-locked, while factory updates are platform-locked).
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
(Technically, official updates are model-locked, while factory updates are platform-locked).
Seems reasonable.
To "sample" next year's platform now removes the critical path to having next year's factory Q.A. firmware ready.
Besides, sometimes it is next to impossible to create 'new' Q.A. firmware while the hardware is still in a preproduction sampling (hardware that 'engineering' might change at any moment).
Old 07-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, we'll see how that turns out for the Oasis 3, but either there's genuinely going to be a shitton of variants, or it took a lot of board revisions to get it into shape .
Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #13
susmoka
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, we'll see how that turns out for the Oasis 3, but either there's genuinely going to be a shitton of variants, or it took a lot of board revisions to get it into shape .
Thanks everyone for the replies!