Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I keep mine in a folio style case with a hard cover; it's one of the Finitie models. It's essential. If I leave the paperwhite on my sofa while answering the door etc, there's a good chance one of my cats will stand on it. Therefore it needs all the protection it can get.

I generally like the pretty covers, it just cheers up an old ereader AND means that I don't accidentally sit on it when I return to the sofa!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
Almamida
Addict
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 WAN / Voyage WiFi / Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Depends? For me, sleeves are just fine inside my purse or travel backpack (which has an electronics compartment).

I've had an e-ink reader where the screen cracked seemingly due to torque (iRiver Story HD). So far though, my Kindles appear to be of sturdier build. I know I've rolled over on my caseless PW3 while sleeping often enough.

Granted, the PW4 does feel more flimsy compared to the PW3. With its reduced weight though, I actually found a case I like for it. With the PW3, I spent ~$50 buying various cases from Amazon until I gave up and just used it naked.
May I ask you which cover you found for your PW4 ?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
May I ask you which cover you found for your PW4 ?
I got this one (fabric with blunted edges):
https://www.amazon.com/WALNEW-Paperw...dp/B07K2PSCTP/

Not the lightest of cases but the reduced weight of the PW4 and handstrap makes the combination better than PW3+case that I've tried. Also, I like the added "bezel".

Never been a fan of the smooth leather or plastic folio cases with the sharp edges for the PW3. I'd rather use the PW3 naked as I find its soft touch rubber like back much preferable to hold. Alas, I haven't found a case similar to the above WALNEW PW4 for the PW3.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #19
Almamida
Addict
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 WAN / Voyage WiFi / Sony PRS 650
Thank you. I see the benefit of this kind of case, but it seems too bulky for me.
I might end with a sleeve and/or opt for the $30 3 years insurance offered by Amazon
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #20
haertig
Evangelist
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Sansa Clip v2 Rockbox (audiobooks)
Quote:
Alas, I haven't found a case similar to the above WALNEW PW4 for the PW3.
Here's one that appears similar:

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Paperwhi...8PEVB4Y42WKEZV
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Already saw that one but the back seems to be hard plastic. I'll probably try it sooner or later. I have a PW3-32W (32GB Manga, White) which doesn't have the soft touch rubber back that the black models have so it keeps slipping from my hand. If I end up not liking the case much, I can use it on the white PW3. It can't possibly make it worse than it already is.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kobo Clara HD ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon PW4 ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #23
Hemmi
Wizard
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab A
I always buy a cover for my readers. Nothing bulky but something that flips over the front to protect the screen. I always have a reader in my purse.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #24
kcladyz
Member Retired
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW4, KOBO H2O and Aura One E2, zenpad, ipad pro, Kindle fires
damage protection. I just bought a leather case for my kindle and then dropped it on the hard floor. glad I had it in a case. Also for looks. I change covers often for a change. You can get good and cheap ones on ebay.

I loved my 1st generation Nook scraped the screen real bad by just sitting in the purse. Lesson Learned.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #25
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I always use my readers without a case or cover, but I like to have something I can put them in for transport, to protect the screen while its in my bag or suitcase.

I have been entirely unable to find anything I like for my Paperwhite. It seems impossible to tell from a picture and description which cases actually protect the screen properly and which are soft/flexible and therefore useless. For the time being all I do is put it face-down in a cover I bought for my Kobo Touch.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #26
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I posted in ANOTHER THREAD my slipcase with multiple photos. I have been using it for more than 2 years and it looks as gorgeous (and as new) as the day I got it.

I read on my KA1 "naked" as I have arthritic hands and the device alone is very light and comfortable to hold. But at all other times I keep it in the slip case.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I always use my readers without a case or cover, but I like to have something I can put them in for transport, to protect the screen while its in my bag or suitcase.

I have been entirely unable to find anything I like for my Paperwhite. It seems impossible to tell from a picture and description which cases actually protect the screen properly and which are soft/flexible and therefore useless. For the time being all I do is put it face-down in a cover I bought for my Kobo Touch.
Maybe a clamshell case, then?
https://www.amazon.com/Paperwhite-re...dp/B073S5GHH4/

It's a balancing act. More protection often means bulkier and/or less convenient.

Personally, I'm happy enough with the level of protection that my neoprene and PU leather sleeves provide while having the convenience of being able to quickly slide them in and out of the case. Sure, a folio case is easier to flip open and close. Alas, it's harder to find a folio case I like (I do own several sitting unused in a closet).
Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Damage protection is key, in my opinion. eInk screens are ridiculousy fragile.
Even Kindle Fire's aren't unbreakable as I found out this weekend. My older Kindle Fire was damaged when I slipped on some ice on Saturday last. It still turns on and the screen is still (mostly) readable but the substrate has cracks running through it now, even though the Gorilla glass on top didn't suffer any damage.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Maybe a clamshell case, then?
https://www.amazon.com/Paperwhite-re...dp/B073S5GHH4/

It's a balancing act. More protection often means bulkier and/or less convenient.
Yes, that looks reasonable, but doesn't seem to be available in the UK.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook ST, Glo, HD+, Echos
I went for years without a case for my Kindle Keyboard because I didn't want the added weight. I used a sleeve instead, so I could read the device without a cover, but the sleeve protected it when away from home. I have a separate slot in my purse for my ereader which provided protection. I had a Kindle that sat on my reading table when not in use. No reason for a case for that.

9 years later, I'm older and have more fumble fingers due to arthritis. So I have cases for everything. The new Fintie covers are incredibly light and provide some protection. Some of the cases, such as for Voyage, I bought not for protection but to put it into sleep mode when not in use - saves on battery and reduces button failure.

So, yes, having a cover will protect it, but you have to look at your lifestyle to determine what you need.

FWIW, a drop to concrete may not protect your ereader, case or not. When chatting with the nurse during my bro's last trip to the ER, she said that at least a couple of people have dropped their covered ereaders and broken them. Even a leather one didn't provide enough protection. Also, even with covers, a lot of kids with backpacks still get damaged ereaders. Get a better quality cover that zippers and don't store it in an outside pocket. My cousin's daughter was humiliated (9th grade) when the second ereader broke in her backpack. She's very careful, but when it gets dropped to the ground, it isn't always pleasant.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-13-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote