Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
patrik
Addict
patrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Preview shows hr lines differently

I noticed that two horizontal lines, with the same code, looked different in Sigil Preview. One line was thicker than the other.

But on my ereaders & in Calibre they were the same. Also the same in Sigil book view.

More of a curiosity, but I thought I would mention it.

html:

<h1>Title</h1>

<hr class="w50" />

<h2>Subtitle</h2>

<hr class="w50" />

css:

h1 { text-align:center; }

h2 { text-align:center; font-size:2em; }

hr.w50 { height:0.1em; border:white; background-color:black; width:50%; margin-left:25%; }

After testing I noticed it's the font-size element in h2 that makes the difference. If I set the size to 1em, the lines are the same. If I set it to something larger than 1, it gets thicker, but stays the same for any larger font-sizes.

(Sigil 0.9.10 on Linux)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr-lines.png
Views:	30
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	169601  
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Setting your height and border-thickness in pt or px (I know, I know... but this is *not* for setting text!) should give more consistent appearance. Anyway, that's how it seems to work for me.

Setting it in em will vary with font-size.

Code:
hr, .hr100
{
border-top:  2pt solid blue;
border-left: none;
border-right: none;
border-bottom: none;
height: 2pt;
margin-top: 1em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
}

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 02-12-2019 at 04:49 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
patrik
Addict
patrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy bluepatrik can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook InkPad 3
Thank you GrannyGrump.

If I understand you correctly, you have found that it's a sort of best practice to use pt/px for hr? Considering how many very nice formatted books you have made, I will adopt that.

For this particular case, my guess is that there is a bug in the Sigil Previewer. I may be wrong, but that is the only place that does show the lines differently (compared to the ereaders and other software I tested with).

It doesn't matter much I guess, I just wanted to mention it since the amazing Sigil-duo seem to squash bugs in seconds.

(And if I did something wrong or "stupid" I hoped for feedback on that. Your post made my post worth it, thanks. )
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote