Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Forever Amber is Forever Elusive in UK

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it.

I'm in the UK and looking for an ebook version of 'Forever Amber' by Kathleen Winsor. This was reviewed in a youtube vid and seemed interesting.

I have a kindle PaperWhite; naturally I tried Amazon first. They have the paper version (with tiny print) but the ebook is unavailable in the UK. I checked Kobo; same tale.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me where, in the UK, I can buy this as an ebook. It's available in the US, but not here. There's no way I could read the tiny font of the paper book.

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Doesn't look like you can get it in the UK unless perhaps it can be had from the US publisher directly without geo-restrictions https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/f...php?page_id=21 sometimes smaller publisher sites don't geo-restrict as heavily.

Only other option would probably "travelling" to the US through someplace like Kobo.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Forever Amber is one of my guilty pleasures; I love it! I keep hoping for an audiobook to be released.

Internet Archive has digital copies for download or borrowing.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Doesn't look like you can get it in the UK unless perhaps it can be had from the US publisher directly without geo-restrictions https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/f...php?page_id=21 sometimes smaller publisher sites don't geo-restrict as heavily.

Only other option would probably "travelling" to the US through someplace like Kobo.
Buying from the publisher seems to be the simplest option except that the book will be mobipocket, rather than AZW3, so I won't be able to read it in my favourite fonts (I don't really like the kindle fonts). They state that it's drm'd, meaning that I'd need to google Alf to convert it. This isn't impossible, but seems a cheek considering the price.

Migrating to the US is beyond my deviousness. I'm not sure how to convincingly do this.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Forever Amber is one of my guilty pleasures; I love it! I keep hoping for an audiobook to be released.

Internet Archive has digital copies for download or borrowing.
I took a look at Internet Archive but could only find it for borrowing; it has a waiting list. There didn't appear to be a download option, or anywhere to purchase it. Maybe I missed this?

Does anyone know why this book isn't available as a legit ebook in the UK?

I wonder what would happen if I try to buy it from Amazon US? Might give that a try.
Doesn't work; they know I'm in the UK.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-26-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I took a look at Internet Archive but could only find it for borrowing; it has a waiting list. There didn't appear to be a download option, or anywhere to purchase it. Maybe I missed this?
There are four copies shown on the top line here. If you click on any one of them, you should see an online version at the top; scroll down and you'll see a list of download options in a shaded box on the left.

Usually what you get is an unedited OCR from the PDF.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There are four copies shown on the top line here. If you click on any one of them, you should see an online version at the top; scroll down and you'll see a list of download options in a shaded box on the left.

Usually what you get is an unedited OCR from the PDF.
Thanks, I tried that, but they either have awful typos or some other issue. One of them was 47mb and crashed Calibre!

Looks like I'll buy the mobipocket from the publisher, de-drm it, then convert it to AZW3.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Buying from the publisher seems to be the simplest option except that the book will be mobipocket, rather than AZW3, so I won't be able to read it in my favourite fonts (I don't really like the kindle fonts). They state that it's drm'd, meaning that I'd need to google Alf to convert it. This isn't impossible, but seems a cheek considering the price.

Migrating to the US is beyond my deviousness. I'm not sure how to convincingly do this.

Thanks.
I don't see anywhere that they say the Mobipocket file is DRM'd. Mobipocket has been shut down for years so I'm not sure how they'd accomplish that. Especially since they mention loading it on a Kindle, which couldn't be done if it was DRM'd. The ePub would need to be de-DRM'd and converted to AZW3 for Kindle reading.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
I don't see anywhere that they say the Mobipocket file is DRM'd. Mobipocket has been shut down for years so I'm not sure how they'd accomplish that. Especially since they mention loading it on a Kindle, which couldn't be done if it was DRM'd. The ePub would need to be de-DRM'd and converted to AZW3 for Kindle reading.
I came to the conclusion that it was drm'd after reading the part under IMPORTANT on this page:

https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/w...-pages-494.php
Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Does anyone know why this book isn't available as a legit ebook in the UK?

I wonder what would happen if I try to buy it from Amazon US? Might give that a try.
Doesn't work; they know I'm in the UK.

If you're willing to "go" to the Amazon U.S.A. site (as you hint), then just take the easier route to Kobo U.S.A. (I understand that a plane leaves every second.)

It should be a lot easier.

Have a safe flight, but take calibre with you if he's potty trained.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you're willing to (I understand that a plane leaves every second.)

It should be a lot easier.

Have a safe flight, but take calibre with you if he's potty trained.

Thanks for the advice.

Because I've had things delivered from Amazon US, they know who I am and there seems to be cookies on my pc which automaticatically signs me into the site.

Please pm me the details regarding visiting the US. Do I then use my 'holiday' address, or a US email (I know Kobo never check this). How can they tell that I'm on holiday and not in the UK?

Calibre is packing his bags as I type!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I came to the conclusion that it was drm'd after reading the part under IMPORTANT on this page:

https://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/w...-pages-494.php
I only see Adobe DRM mentioned there, which is only for ePub's and PDF's.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Thanks for the advice.

Because I've had things delivered from Amazon US, they know who I am and there seems to be cookies on my pc which automaticatically signs me into the site.

Please pm me the details regarding visiting the US. Do I then use my 'holiday' address, or a US email (I know Kobo never check this). How can they tell that I'm on holiday and not in the UK?

Calibre is packing his bags as I type!

One simply registers and puts in a UK address - I believe that's correct. (It's been so many years ago that I can't remember exactly.)

Whereas with Amazon, it seems to be based upon the credit card. I'm in Peru, and my credit card is a U.S.A.-based account.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
I only see Adobe DRM mentioned there, which is only for ePub's and PDF's.
Thanks. So the mobipocket version won't be drm'd? Or maybe it's still a risk?

What really bothers me about the publisher's ebook price is that it's so much higher than the cost of the Amazon paperback!!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Thanks. So the mobipocket version won't be drm'd? Or maybe it's still a risk?

What really bothers me about the publisher's ebook price is that it's so much higher than the cost of the Amazon paperback!!
Because the publisher charges full list price for everything unfortunately.

Kobo is probably cheaper if you choose to travel (a simple address change) and de-DRM the ePub from there.

Tags
ebook unavailable, kindle