Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
ykg
ykg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
The device for technical books (PDF)

Hey guys,
I'm considering buying a reader for technical books that are usually in .PDF format.

I was about to order one of the 6" kindles (the cheapest one or paper-white), but a friend told me that for the kind of books I'm going to us it and for PDF in general a 6" screen isn't recommended. How bad do the cheap kindle display PDF files? Will converting the files to the kindle format (mobi?) work for me?
ykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
For technical books with lots of equations, tables, and source code snippets, reflowing is not an option. You have to see the content laid out in the original format, or it will just be gibberish.

I have a 9.7" reader which works adequately for reading A4/letter-sized documents. The Kobo Aura HD has a higher pixel resolution than most of the 9.7" ereaders, so that's probably the one 6" device whose display can properly show the contents. However, I've heard some complaints about the actual PDF-viewing software on that device. So, the answer may be that there aren't any 6" ereaders that are good enough for reading technical PDFs at this time. There may be more high def 6" readers coming out over time, so waiting is probably your best option, if you can do that.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykg View Post
Hey guys,
I'm considering buying a reader for technical books that are usually in .PDF format.

I was about to order one of the 6" kindles (the cheapest one or paper-white), but a friend told me that for the kind of books I'm going to us it and for PDF in general a 6" screen isn't recommended. How bad do the cheap kindle display PDF files? Will converting the files to the kindle format (mobi?) work for me?
If your pdf's are scanned books with page width less than 16 cm you can read it comfortably on 6" reader in landscape mode after margin croping.

You can even read A4 format pdf scans after reflowing the scans with k2pdfopt app (beforehand on your computer or in kindle reader with kindlepdfviewer).
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

but i would recommend used Kindle DX with installed KindlePdfViewer or some other bigger e-ink reader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=3

Last edited by markom; 06-29-2013 at 04:59 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
ykg

If the books that I'm going to read are popular enough so I'll be able to find a .epub/.mobi/.chm version, I mean the book was published originally this format, will it be ok using a 6" reader for reading them?

Can I rely on finding the my books in the stated above formats, today, if they are technical and popular enough?

I'm new to all this Ebooks thing
Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
First, you could do a websearch yourself and look in which formats your books are offered.

"Technical" is a broad term, if you mean "computer" or "programming": OReilly offers most of their books in epub/mobi too. But you're right, the predominant format is pdf.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would personally recommend a large-screen tablet, such as the iPad (or Android equivalents) for reading PDF documents, especially those which are formatted for an A4/Letter page size. No 6" device will do a good job with these, although some are less bad than others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
ykg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
First, you could do a websearch yourself and look in which formats your books are offered.

"Technical" is a broad term, if you mean "computer" or "programming": OReilly offers most of their books in epub/mobi too. But you're right, the predominant format is pdf.
Yeah I mean computer books mostly. But not only OReilly, also MS Press and others. I've managed to find the books that I'm currently reading in epub/mobi but:

I'm not sure if the epub experience is same as good as the pdf one...

I don't want to use a tablet since it bothers the eyes when I'm reading from it for a long time
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I have many O'Reilly books, which I download in both epub and pdf formats. The epubs work surprisingly well, the only problem is that some source code snippets are so long that they wrap around to the next line, and that makes it difficult to follow them. The same sometime happens for tables, as well. Complex diagrams can also be hard to follow, as the details can get lost when the whole figure is squashed into the display. I started out reading the epub versions on my 6" PRS-505 (many years ago), but ended up buying the 9.7" reader for technical reading.

epubs have the advantage that the text is well suited to e-ink devices (thicker font strokes and the characters are aligned on pixel boundaries), but the non-text stuff can be a problem. With pdfs, the non-text stuff is laid out as it should be, but the text can be hard to read (the fonts and character kerning are aimed towards ink and paper rather than e-ink). Neither was very satisfactory for me on the 6" device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I user my Onyx M92 to read technical books (O'Reilly and other), in PDF or EPUB. I like to use EPUB, because I adjust the font size
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote