Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 AM   #376
k1sh
k1sh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Is there anyway to change zoom on PDF files (not cropping)?
k1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 AM   #377
baskerville
Groupie
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
One odd thing though. When I choose to power off, it instead starts up Nickel but not with a true reboot either.
I will address this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
When reading PDFs or CBZs, particularly in cropped mode, it would be nice for Plato to shift to the next segment of the the page when I use the left/right tap areas. That is, I'd be able to read the top half of the page, tap, then it shifts to the bottom half (if the page is very long, then shift to the next segment). With the next tap it would go to the next page.
If you tap the book title in the top bar, it will bring up a menu where you can select the zoom mode. What you're describing here is called Fit to Width.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 AM   #378
baskerville
Groupie
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1sh View Post
Is there anyway to change zoom on PDF files?
Not yet. Is that something you often need?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #379
baskerville
Groupie

Plato 0.6.5

I'm releasing 0.6.5.

List of changes:
  • A font fallback mechanism was added. Plato makes use of the fonts embedded in libmupdf to provide glyphs for a hundred scripts.
  • Rebooting and powering off are now handled internally.
  • The Calculator can now cope with UTF-8 characters.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #380
k1sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Not yet. Is that something you often need?
Yes. I read professional PDF articles and book chapters often and most of them are printed in two-column format with a tiny font. I wonder if there could be a way to manually customize the zoom to different percentages (not like KOReader, which only has a few option to zoom to width, height, etc.).
Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #381
Frenzie
Fanatic
Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@k1sh Are any of these PDFs open access?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 AM   #382
k1sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
@k1sh Are any of these PDFs open access?
This is a good example and it is open access:
Old 03-01-2019, 04:39 AM   #383
Frenzie
Fanatic
Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Frenzie can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1sh View Post
This is a good example and it is open access:
I would just read that with zoom to fit content width, but that actually happens to be a rather good showcase for reflow mode.

The slightly more hackish zoom to fit column is having more trouble with it, as is KOReader's free zoom mode. That is accessible through page flip (tap the top left corner), combined with double tapping. It then zooms to where it detects the text block to start, which in this case is unfortunately at the top of whichever column you double-tapped on. You can subsequently pan the view.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #384
pst
pst began at the beginning.

Is it possible that the sleep mode is not working very well? At the moment I only manage to read every few days, and every time the battery was drained. I'm on the latest version of plato, I'm using a Kobo Aura ONE. Is there a log that would show sleeps and wakeups?
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 AM   #385
baskerville
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
Is it possible that the sleep mode is not working very well?
Not that I know of. What kernel are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
At the moment I only manage to read every few days, and every time the battery was drained. I'm on the latest version of plato, I'm using a Kobo Aura ONE. Is there a log that would show sleeps and wakeups?
In info.log, search for lines starting with Went to sleep or Woke up.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #386
anchung.chen
anchung.chen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kobo
Dear All:

Thank you indeed for the excellent work on Plato.

But I found a problem that Plato 0.6.5, open this scanned pdf file will cause Plato to crash. Other scanned pdfs are no problem.

m2.pdf
anchung.chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #387
dnh
dnh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Still really enjoying plato, but I have noticed a few minor things:

1. I tend to read one book until it is done, so I rarely go back to the menu. However it seems like the only time it saves the location back to the db is when you go there. So if it crashes or loses power it will not go back to where I left off.

2. Could there be a setting to allow it to automatically sleep after a timeout?

3. This one is more difficult, but is it possible to have a counter to see roughly how many pages are left at the current page setting? This is the one real feature that I am missing from Koreader. It wasn't always correct, but it was nice to have an idea of how many more pages are left.

Thanks for all your work on this.
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #388
pst

Quote:
Not that I know of. What kernel are you on?
It's running on 4.12.12111

Quote:
In info.log, search for lines starting with Went to sleep or Woke up.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Didn't notice it before.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #389
pst

Folder navigation

I find the folder navigation bar a bit confusing. When I'm at top level, it seems to show all the folders now, sorted by name. I can't really navigate trough my collection this way, it gives no hint of the actual folder structure.

Please have a look at the screenshot - "Book" is actually the root folder, that is currently selected. I think that one should always stay on the left side and on the right only the direct siblings should be shown. It could look like

"Books -> Digital Editions -> English: American literature English literature French literature ..."

Also it would be nice if the book view below could be configured to only show the books directly in the current folder. A more classic view option, so to say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20190301_171754.png
Views:	34
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	170021   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20190301_171806.png
Views:	32
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	170023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 16.22.15.png
Views:	36
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	170024  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #390
baskerville
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchung.chen View Post
Thank you indeed for the excellent work on Plato.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchung.chen View Post
But I found a problem that Plato 0.6.5, open this scanned pdf file will cause Plato to crash.
I was able to reproduce: the process is just killed by the kernel.

The problem comes from the second image in the PDF:
Code:
page   num  type   width height color comp bpc  enc interp  object ID x-ppi y-ppi size ratio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1     0 image    1655  2207  gray    1   4  image  no         6  0   345   345  334K  19%
   2     1 image   17408 23211  gray    1   4  image  no         8  0  3626  3626  431K 0.2%
mupdf probably tries to allocate some memory for the image in its native resolution…

Last edited by baskerville; 03-05-2019 at 12:55 PM.