Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #3031
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Frederick Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal is $1.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
The Jackal. A tall, blond Englishman with opaque, gray eyes. A killer at the top of his profession. A man unknown to any secret service in the world. An assassin with a contract to kill the world's most heavily guarded man.

One man with a rifle who can change the course of history. One man whose mission is so secretive not even his employers know his name. And as the minutes count down to the final act of execution, it seems that there is no power on earth that can stop the Jackal.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #3032
kyrilson
Groupie
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read this one fairly recently and enjoyed it very much. Highly recommended!
I have really enjoyed Felix Francis' books. He's not quite as good as his dad, but still very enjoyable reads, imo. Glad to see this is on sale, picking it up!
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #3033
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Jack Higgins' The Eagle Has Landed is $1.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
In November of 1943, an elite team of Nazi paratroopers descends on British soil with a diabolical goal: to abduct Winston Churchill and cripple the Allied war effort. The mission, ordered by Hitler himself and planned by Heinrich Himmler, is led by ace agent Kurt Steiner and aided on the ground by IRA gunman Liam Devlin.

As the deadly duo executes Hitler’s harrowing plot, only the quiet town of Studley Constable stands in their way. Its residents are the lone souls aware of the impending Nazi plan, and they must become the most unlikely of heroes as the fate of the war hangs in the balance.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM   #3034
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
John Le Carré The Looking Glass War (George Smiley #4) is 99p in todays Amazon.co.uk Daily Deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...d_i=5400977031
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #3035
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Free, repeat.

To Kill a Queen (An Inspector Faro Mystery No.6) by Alanna Knight

The Bull Slayers: Inspector Faro No 9 by Alanna Knight

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...=alanna+knight

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...=alanna+knight

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...=alanna+knight

Alanna Knight MBE was born on Tyneside of Scots-Irish parentage. Her first award-winning novel 'Legend of the Loch' was published in 1969 and she has now written more than sixty novels (including sixteen in the acclaimed Inspector Faro series and seven featuring his daughter Rose McQuinn). In an impressive writing career spanning over forty years she began with historical novels and in 1988 launched into historical crime with Inspector Faro and his daughter Rose. All are available as e-books.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #3036
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Strangely enough, this one is on sale at Kobo US, but not at Kindle US...at least as of now...

Halfway House is about 1/4 (not 1/2 ) of the way through Ellery Queen's Ellery Queen series. It has dropped to $0.99 as part of one of Kobo's sales, and is coupon/VIPable.

Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/halfway-house-15
Kindle US (for price check purposes): https://www.amazon.com/Halfway-House...dp/B06WGSHL7S/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Called to an urgent meeting at a mysterious shack in the middle of nowhere, attorney Bill Angell finds his brother-in-law, traveling salesman Joe Wilson, stabbed. With Joe's dying breath, he manages to convey that his murderer was a veiled woman. Was it the wild-eyed woman who had sped past Bill on his way up the dark road to the shack?

To help him unravel the mystery, Bill calls on his old friend Ellery Queen. But first Queen will have to unravel the victim's double life - starting with the shack where he's been found dead, smack dab between two very different worlds.

From his first appearance in print in 1929, Ellery Queen became one of America’s most famous and beloved fictional detectives. Over the course of nearly half a century, Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee, the duo writing team known as Ellery Queen, won the prestigious Edgar Award multiple times, and their contributions to the mystery genre were recognized with a Grand Master Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Mystery Writers of America. Their fair-play mysteries won over fans due to their intricate puzzles that challenged the reader to solve the mystery alongside the brilliant detective. Queen’s stories were among the first to dominate the earliest days of radio, film, and television. Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine, which the writers founded and edited, became the world’s most influential and acclaimed crime fiction magazine.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #3037
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are not quite mysteries, but are prequels to a pretty good mystery series, so I'm putting them here.

Patricia Finney, who writes the Sir Robert Carey series using her pen name PF Chisholm, has two free short stories on her website about Carey when he was young. You have to give her your email address for her newsletter, but since I quite like the Carey series, I personally didn't mind...

The first short story is also free at various retailers, but on the web page, she indicates the second one is available only from there. And the first one ends in - well, not quite a cliff hanger - but definitely not a satisfactory place - so you'll want to get them both if you are going to read the first one. The ending of the second story also strongly implies that more are coming, but the ending is more of an ending, satisfactory enough for me.

The stories are:
  • A Pest of a Boy
  • A Boy in Trouble
I've read both and enjoyed them both...

link to the the website: https://www.patriciafinney.com/a-boy-in-trouble/

A Pest of a Boy
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCPZRF3/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-pest-of-a-boy
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Robert...dp/B07MCPZRF3/
Old 02-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #3038
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Death at the Beggar's Opera is the second in the John Rawlings series by Deryn Lake. It's on sale for £0.99 and $0.99 at Kindle UK and US respectively. A lot of the later titles in the series have been on sale from time to time - it's nice to see a couple of the earlier titles on sale too (the first was on sale not too long ago).

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Death-Beggars...dp/B07KYL4QVF/
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Begga...dp/B07KYL4QVF/

Spoiler:
Quote:
John Rawlings, the apothecary with a talent for detective work, and John Fielding, the phenomenal blind magistrate whose Runners formed London’s early police force, make a welcome return in this evocative Georgian mystery.

John Rawlings is among the beau monde enjoying a performance of ‘The Beggar’s Opera’ in Drury Lane when the leading actor – the notorious philanderer Jasper Harcross – dramatically falls to his death on stage. As Rawlings and the Blind Beak hunt for vital clues, they discover a hotbed of rivalry both on and off the stage which produces numerous suspects and questions.

As the search takes on a new intensity, John Rawlings soon finds himself on an intriguing trail of obsession that leads to the dark heart of a cold-blooded murder.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #3039
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite, Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Three more Ed Noon Mysteries for free today:

<snip>

The Alarming Clock

<snip>

I sure wish they'd make the first one free so I could start reading these.
For those still missing entries in the Ed Noon series, The Alarming Clock is showing for 0.00 again today. Got a Price Alert email for it this morning. I'm surprised no one posted it already!

Last edited by FizzyWater; 02-21-2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: to avoid confusion on the 2 books not currently free
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #3040
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thanks; I checked and had those. I'm still missing #14, in case that ever comes up. I have no idea what its title is! (And so I have to keep clicking, just in case each posted title might be #14. )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #3041
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Thanks; I checked and had those. I'm still missing #14, in case that ever comes up. I have no idea what its title is! (And so I have to keep clicking, just in case each posted title might be #14. )
Number 14 would be 'The Fat Death.'
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #3042
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Highbinders is the fourth in the Philip St. Ives series by Ross Thomas. It has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US (coupon/VIPable).

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E87ZBW
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-highbinders-2

Spoiler:
Quote:
St. Ives goes to London on a job for the least trustworthy con artist he knows

Philip St. Ives has only been in the pub a few minutes before he realizes his whiskey is drugged. Instantly sick, he’s vomiting on the sidewalk when the muggers appear. He fights as best he can in his drugged state, and only when he feels the handcuffs does he realize his assailants aren’t muggers—they’re cops.

He wakes in a dingy cell to the knowledge that English Eddie Apex has pulled a fast one on him. English Eddie is not English, but talks with a British accent that once made him New York’s most refined con artist. In retirement and living in London, he had hired St. Ives—a professional mediator between crooks and their marks—to come to England to help him recover a stolen painting. The drugged whiskey won’t be the last surprise St. Ives gets in Blighty, and the police won’t be the only ones who try to cause him pain.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #3043
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Three titles in John Creasey's Department Z series have dropped to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US (coupon/VIPable).

The Terror Trap, #7
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMHLD7T
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-terror-trap

Carriers of Death, #8
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMG6DBM
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/carriers-of-death

Murder Must Wait, #12
Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMG6DDR
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/murder-must-wait-3
Old 02-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #3044
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

As I've mentioned a time or two or a thousand , Michael Pearce is one of my five most favorite mystery authors, and titles in his "Dead Man In..." series have been going on sale on-and-off for a while now. Titles in his other, "Mamur Zapt", series go on sale much less often, at least in the US. Four titles have now dropped to $5.38 at Kindle US, which is not a great price, but they are normally $9.99-ish, so it's almost half-off. And, did I mention, he's one of my favorite authors .

Just to make it more confusing, there are two sets of Mamur Zapt editions out there - Harper Collins and Poisoned Pen Press. I had emailed a time or two with the folks at Poisoned Pen Press, who had DTB editions in the US, and they had always told me that they couldn't get the electronic rights to the Mamur Zapt titles, so I was really surprised when they put them out a little while ago. And now, HarperCollins has some Kindle editions out too, so who knows what is going on .

Oh, and Kobo US is offline for maintenance right now, so no idea if these are on sale there, but if they are, I think they might be coupon/VIPable. One other nice thing is that the first title in the series is one of the ones on sale, so you can try if you wish...

Okay, enough babbling - here are the four:

The Mamur Zapt & the Return of the Carpet, #1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZB48R1/
Spoiler:
Quote:
The Mamur Zapt, head of Cairo’s CID in the heyday of (the indirect) British rule, focused on political, not police, matters. With the bustling new century, the loosening of imperial ties, and the rise of nationalism, his was a busy office. The attempted assassination of a veteran politician raises the spectre of a major terrorist statement at the capital’s principal religious festival where the faithful celebrate the Return of the Holy Carpet from Mecca.

Easily navigating multiple nationalities, three principal languages, and four competing legal systems, not to mention the intricacies of shadow and actual governments, Captain Owen, the Welsh incumbent, bolsters the Mamur Zapt’s office with the aid of a host of memorable characters.

The Girl in the Nile, #5: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYM55WQ/
Spoiler:
Quote:
1909 Egypt. It's easy to go adrift in the complex political currents swirling through a country that has long been “advised” by the British after the mess it made of its finances, but now swelling with nationalism. And you can't discount the self-interest of the Khedive, the Royal Family, and of the country's pashas. Nevertheless, Captain Gareth Owen, Head of the Cairo Secret Police, has to ask, “Where's the body?” The girl, perhaps a woman of ill repute but one definitely lost overboard, had been glimpsed lying on a sandbank in the Nile. Then she vanished. Why had Prince Narouz hired the dahabeeyah? Surely not just to cruise to Luxor—the man has no interest in antiquities. And why was Miss Sekhmet on the boat anyway? Was it for the Prince's pleasure, or to embarrass him? Under heavy pressure from politicos and his own mistress, the strong-minded Zeinab, Owen steers a difficult course after a murderer....

The Spoils of Egypt, #6: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY7S5KH/
Spoiler:
Quote:
Edwardian Egypt and archaeology go hand in hand, not just for the antiquarian but for the men, whether poor fellahin or rich merchant, who profit from the illegal export of antiquities. Captain Gareth Owen, the Mamur Zapt or head of Cairo’s Secret Police, turns his attention to the trade when Miss Skinner arrives. She’s a woman with the habit of asking awkward questions. And because her uncle might be the next President of the United States, her queries demand answers. So what is she doing looking at crocodiles? And mummified ones at that? Were they priceless? Are they even antiques? Owen’s new brief is to see that Egypt’s priceless treasures stay in Egypt. But when Miss Skinner narrowly escapes falling under a conveyance—whether she was just accidentally nudged by a Passover sheep or not—Owen expands his command. As he labors to thwart killers and the flight of national treasures abroad, he faces an even graver problem: whether to risk his career by asking the pasha’s lovely daughter to marry him....

Death of an Effendi, #12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY8VKMP/
Spoiler:
Quote:
It’s 1909, and Cairo is the murder capital of the world. Deaths are two a piastre. But the death of an effendi is something different. Effendis—the Egyptian elite—are important. Especially if they happen to be foreign.

When effendi Tvardovsky is shot at a gathering of financiers in Crocodilopolis, the ancient City of the Crocodiles, Mamur Zapt Gareth Owen—Chief of Cairo’s Secret Police—is called in to investigate. In some countries, if someone goes for a walk or a boat ride with the Head of the Secret Police and doesn’t come back, it’s best not to ask any questions. And there are powerful people who might prefer Tvardovsky dead.

There are still crocodiles—of all kinds—in Egypt. And when the crocodiles start cooperating, it’s time to really watch out….

Last edited by sufue; 02-23-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #3045
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

And now for something completely different...

The Executioner Series Books 1–3: War Against the Mafia, Death Squad, and Battle Mask by Don Pendleton appears to be pretty much what it says it is. It has dropped to $2.51 as a US Kindle Daily Deal. Again, don't know if it's matched at Kobo US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Executioner-B...dp/B01M1D5J00/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Introducing “action adventure icon” Mack Bolan as he wages a one-man war against the Mafia—in the first three books of the million-selling series (Los Angeles Times).

In the jungles of Southeast Asia, no sniper was more ruthless than Mack Bolan. After twelve years in-country, with ninety-five confirmed kills, the Special Forces sergeant returns to the United States only to find that his father has gone berserk, slaughtering his family before taking his own life. But Bolan knows his old man was no killer: He was under pressure from a gang of Mafia thugs who were after his money—and willing to destroy his life to get it. For the sake of his father, Bolan declares war on the men who drove him mad . . .

Now in one volume, these are the first three action-packed novels in the long-running series that has sold more than 200 million copies. If you’re a fan of Rambo, James Bond, or Jack Reacher, it’s time to meet the one and only Mack Bolan—an elite operative with a haunted past pitted against legions of mobsters no one else can take down.