Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 05:51 PM   #556
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I'm at a book where quotations are marked by right- (opening) and left-pointing double angle quotes (» and «).

<snip>

Any help appreciated!
Try doing a search for guillemets (« ») in the Workshop forum. IIRC the Second problem has been discussed in a couple threads, and I recall mention of some older German texts using a convention much like MLA/AP Style Guides for multi-paragraph quotes in English:

Quotations that extend over more than one paragraph must have an opening quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph and a closing quotation mark at the end of the final paragraph.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-11-2018 at 06:04 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #557
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I'm at a book where quotations are marked by right- (opening) and left-pointing double angle quotes (» and «).

First problem: Frequently, in the middle of direct speech marked as reported, there are citations that are as well marked by right- and left-pointing double angle quotes. I would like to replace those citations by single angle quotes. Is there a good way to find them (only in the middle of direct speech, not outside)?
Which language are you working in? Slovak?

There was a similar thread in the Calibre Editor subforum discussing guillemets:

Regex Function about «» and “”

where I posted a very basic Regex I use. senhal posted his in Post #9.

You may just have to flip around some of the inner/outer »« directions, and substitute in some ›‹, but the logic should all be the same.

Note: And I still stand by Toxaris's EPUBTools Dialogue Checker being the best tool for this job. This problem really requires something a bit smarter than just Regex.

Quote:
Second problem: It appears, that at direct speech passages, there is an opening double angle, but the closing one is missing (by error of OCR, perhaps). How can I find (and replace) such items, please?
Edit: Sometimes it's vice-versa: the closing mark is there, but the opening one is missing.
Like BetterRed said, English has an opening quote across multiple paragraphs if it's the same character talking:

Quote:
Sue continued to drone on, “This is a very long example. [...] And she keeps talking.
“And talking.
“And talking.
“And talking until the roosters crow.”
I am not too sure if other languages follow a similar "no closing quote" rule.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-11-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #558
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Note: And I still stand by Toxaris's EPUBTools Dialogue Checker being the best tool for this job. This problem really requires something a bit smarter than just Regex.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔️

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #559
Leonatus
Guru
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thank you both, BetterRed and Tex2002ans! The text is in german. And yes, I also find that Toxaris' tool is excellent for this task, but the book has come as epub already; I have to do some modifications (transform in modern spelling and so on). Only that there are quite a lot of mistakes of the reported sort that I wished to mend.
I'll have a look to the recommended threads.
Fyi: In older german books, you'll frequently find the same way of formatting direct speech across multiple paragraghs, i. e. beginning with an opening quote at each paragraph, but ending with the closing one only at the end of the direct speech. This is no longer the case in modern books. the book I'm working on shows this as well, and I changed this. This is not the problem. There are some erroneously missing quotes.

Last edited by Leonatus; 12-12-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #560
Leonatus
Guru
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Your "simple" check:
Code:
(»[^«]*)</p>
found me missing closing quotes within a paragraph, whereas
Code:
»([^«]*)»
found me as well missing closing quotes as the "citation problem", also across multiple paragraphs.
That's indeed very helpful!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #561
cereburn
cereburn began at the beginning.

Device: Android/MoonReader
New to Regex - not sure where I went wrong

I've got a PDF that I used Calibre to convert to ePUB but at the top of each page in the PDF was a piece of page bling next to the page number that is now mixed in with the text of the doc.

Code:
file:///K|/eMule/Incoming/88%20sci-fi%20aWizard.html (77 of 309)16-8-2007 23:50:31
When I try to search for this just using:

Code:
\A file
it doesn't result at all

if I use:

Code:
\A file:///K|/eMule/Incoming/88
then it finds and highlights eMule/Incoming/88

I've tried adding \ to each of the escape required characters above, but that breaks the search back to where I was when I started.

My goal is to setup a search and replace for everything starting with file up to and including the first following <p>
cereburn is offline   Reply With Quote