Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #61
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Harder to code, digest authentication just required 5 lines of code to implement
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #62
moggie
Enthusiast
moggie is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I wish there was a way to get browsers to just prompt for a key instead of a username and password, but...
Have you considered using certificates ?

http://tinyca.sm-zone.net/ I havn't played with it myself but I think I have read of people using it successfully.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #63
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do certificates work for client authentication? I thought they were only for server authentication
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
How do certificates work for client authentication? I thought they were only for server authentication
No, you can have an X.509 client side certificate. The web page would request it and the certificate would be sent with the next request.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Since I dont know what a X.509 certificate is, it's safe to assume that expecting calibre's users to know is asking for too much.
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #66
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Since I dont know what a X.509 certificate is, it's safe to assume that expecting calibre's users to know is asking for too much.
Well, get a cert and installing it is pretty easy. I think they are free a thwate. But, that said, calibre would need some place to store valid certIDs and also have some method to connect them to a user id. And, I'm sure you don't want to get into all that work.

I think supporting OpenID might be alot easier. But, you still need some username storage/infrastructure to know what valid OpenID's you will accept. I assume that is what is wanted, to only let certain people have access as opposed to just knowing who the user is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #67
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
suggestions

I would like to be able to sort by file format, as well as exclude formats from the list shown.

On a small screen, the calibre icon is too large, and the download link is too small. A download button would better than a link.

The cover preview is neat. Would it be possible to have a short text appear instead?

Is there any chance that we could upload books ?

P.S. I now have calibre running on my home server PC, as well as all my other PCs. I'm about to go uninstall Mobipocket Desktop.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #68
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The search field supports the same syntax as the search field in calibre. Which means you can search on formats, tags, whatever.

At some point I have to add upload, conversion, metadata editing support as well as creating a mobile version, but...
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #69
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
The web server bit doesn't seem to work with Internet Explorer 7, or at least it doesnt on my computer. Works fine with Firefox though.

Just comes up with a javascript error.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I know, since I dont develop on windows, supporting IE is a pain and I dont bother.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #71
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
IE IS a pain. Don't bother!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #72
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually turned out that all that was needed was to remove one comma

The content server now works fully with IE 8 and partially with IE 6 and 7
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
IE IS a pain. Don't bother!
True, but for some devices there is no other option.

Quote:
Actually turned out that all that was needed was to remove one comma

The content server now works fully with IE 8 and partially with IE 6 and 7
So will this be in 4.128? When is it coming out?

EDIT: The link was still up for .127, but I see from the change log that 128 comes out today.

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-15-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: oops
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #74
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Oh, good. It works for everything except Opera v8.02. Since that version is only still used by the Nokia 770, it's not important.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #75
masteryoda2986
masteryoda2986 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I am trying to transfer books to stanza on my iphone using calibre. i can see the list of books in safari on my phone and on my computer when i look at the web server but when i look at the stanza catalog both on my phone and on my computer i can see the page but the book list comes up empty. does the stanza catalog work for anyone else?
masteryoda2986 is offline   Reply With Quote