Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Shadow Internet article at Wired.com

They start with a single stolen file and pump out bootleg games and movies by the millions. Inside the pirate networks that are terrorizing the entertainment business.

This is how Wired.com's latest essay on the Internet piracy aka "warez" scene begins.

So it seems that there is a with all that said in the article, there really is a piracy problem. There are people who copy CDs, software, and DVDs and sell them by the millions. They even scan books and sell them or give them away as bootlegged e-books (as many of you here probably know...).

And then there are the p2p systems like Napster and BitTorrent letting people share their music libraries and e-books with many thousands of others.

Most of the time no money is involved. Yet the industry is horrified and asks law enforcement to throw every Internet pirate from young to old in jail.

My question: Why is the industry constantly fighting to protect a status quo that technology "threatens" instead of taking a step forward and making use of this new technology?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Unhappy There is a problem...

If anyone is interested here is the printable version of the article.

I found this article to be very interesting and goes to show why sharing will not stop. The feds stop one topsite and more topsites fill it's place. The amount of people doing this is crazy. I didn't know that the organization was so immense.

The product coming from the top (record industries, projector operators etc) is understandable. I remember when I worked at a record/movie company that one of my collegues at work showed me a svcd of a movie that had been ripped from a dvd and put on 2 cds. When I watched it on my computer it was perfect dvd quality. Mind you this movie was months away from being out in theatre.

I wonder how many more of us mobileread readers have similiar stories?
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert