Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
TouchPad Android port Bounty

Wired Gadget Lab: Hack Your TouchPad to Run Android, Win a Prize

Quote:
A hardware-modification web site is offering a $1,500 cash bounty for the first person to successfully port a full version of the Android operating system over to HP’s TouchPad.

Hacknmod.com offers a tiered bounty system for would-be TouchPad hackers: Just getting Android to run on the TouchPad without taking full advantage of the tablet’s hardware will win you a cool $450. But the more you’re able to integrate the system software into the device, the more cash you’ll earn. Get the Wi-Fi, multitouch capability, audio and camera up and running, and you’ll add another $1,050 to the pot.
Stability is always a key with community-made ports. WebOS is linux underneath, so in theory the original drivers could be re-used IF HP were willing to okay it, else the community would be hacking their own. So maybe the audio works, but you get random bursts of static. One way to avoid those issues would be to not boot android, but run an emulation layer, a la the Motion Apps' Classic emulator that ran old garnet programs on WebOS when it first debuted. I might prefer that route myself. There is a lot to admire about WebOS, especially on the surface. I've often wished HP would turn it into an Android UI.

Anyway, I wish them well. I normally have no impulse control when it comes to deals, and barely managed to talk myself out of a $100 touchpad. I might be kicking myself in a few month when Amazon unveils their entries and they predictably aren't quite what I was hoping for.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I doubt that this will never work well enough for it to be worth it for most people to jump through hoops to get it installed. Logic tells us all that...

Last edited by RockdaMan; 08-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
barely managed to talk myself out of a $100 touchpad. I might be kicking myself in a few month when Amazon unveils their entries and they predictably aren't quite what I was hoping for.
I don't think you really had to resist the urge to impulse buy. All you had to do was flinch and you where no longer able to buy an HP tablet.

Considering there is already an Ubuntu port, I don't think the Android will take too long

Ubuntu

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't think you really had to resist the urge to impulse buy. All you had to do was flinch and you where no longer able to buy an HP tablet.
From the time I first saw the sale, there were new sources popping up throughout the day. Initially, OoS was what saved me from myself, but then there were more at barnesandnoble, the HP site then after reports that best buy was going to ship them back to hp, it looked like maybe they changed their mind and were selling them again and various sources slickdealers were digging up, and I almost got caught up in the fever again.

But you're right, they did get snatched up pretty quickly. I've already spotted one story claiming the response to the fire sale was proof the tablet market was more than a 1 product niche. That more people were looking for tablets, they just hadn't found the right balance of price and features.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
But you're right, they did get snatched up pretty quickly. I've already spotted one story claiming the response to the fire sale was proof the tablet market was more than a 1 product niche. That more people were looking for tablets, they just hadn't found the right balance of price and features.
Yup, and you may thank Apple's pricing structure for that, plus the tab manufactures failure to learn from Asus' lesson when they started the netbook revolution. If people think they can get a competitor for a MacBook Air for one third the price they'll buy a ton of them, but if they have to pay 80% to 100%, they’ll buy the Mac. Same with iTabs and Galaxy Tabs.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Around here most shops have stopped selling the touchpad some are selling at the old price. Rumours are that they are going to be shipped back to HP and not sold at the firesale price here.
If they are sold at the firesale price I might grab 2 or 3 as current tablet prices to me are too expensive for the utility they provide but at $99 they just hit the sweet spot
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think tubemonkey had it right all along, tablets are too expensive. Earlier this year I was going to buy my niece a tablet for her graduation present. I couldn't do it, laptops where cheaper by more than $150 with far more hardware and features.
It also explains why the nook tablet is one of the most successful android tablets.

I bought my wife an iPad for Christmas, and I now recognize what a poor buying decision that was, it's just not worth $500.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-23-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
tables are too expensive
=X=
Wrong Forum.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I doubt that this will never work well enough for it to be worth it for most people to jump through hoops to get it installed. Logic tells us all that...

Already been done.
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...hpad-20110823/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Around here most shops have stopped selling the touchpad some are selling at the old price. Rumours are that they are going to be shipped back to HP and not sold at the firesale price here.
If they are sold at the firesale price I might grab 2 or 3 as current tablet prices to me are too expensive for the utility they provide but at $99 they just hit the sweet spot
I made a quick run to Fry's on Saturday, and they were all gone. The price sticker on the shelves showed the original price, though. I don't know if they had them all sent back, or if the price drop was honored at checkout or something.

I tried to order one when the sale hit. Tried. Wasn't fast enough.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Wrong Forum.
Ha ha, true, but my point still stands, tables are too expensive and so are tablets.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: HTC Hero
Android 2.2.1 has been dumped from a HP TouchPad already able to run it, as demostrated on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1RyqQTvyQ.

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3692
lost101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost101 View Post
Android 2.2.1 has been dumped from a HP TouchPad already able to run it, as demostrated on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1RyqQTvyQ.
Isn't that video suppose to be from a guy who claims Android was shipped with the HP TouchPad?

Last edited by =X=; 08-25-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
lost101
Enthusiast
lost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of lightlost101 is a glorious beacon of light

"I bought the touchpad in Oklahoma city while on a family trip." - original rootzwiki post

One theory is that it's a Developer's Touchpad that was "mistakenly" sold.

Last edited by lost101; 08-25-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
lost101
Enthusiast

CyanogenMod team port Android to Touchpad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20yOVKm5UM
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=4011