Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Audible + Amazon $100 credit is still around

Yup, they are keeping it going. It is still $100 in exchange for a one-year Audible subscription, month-to-month and not all up front. Here is the page on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=598985

Nice way to get a good deal on an iPod Touch!!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
Yup, they are keeping it going. It is still $100 in exchange for a one-year Audible subscription, month-to-month and not all up front. Here is the page on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=598985

Nice way to get a good deal on an iPod Touch!!
I do love Audible and am a Audible EasyListener member ($9.95 a year). Even though the $100 redemption sounds enticing, you're obligating yourself to a yearly membership of $179. A little spendy for me. Especially since Audible has great sales like the one going on right now on 250 titles for $4.95 each. That's when I load my computer with titles. Just purchased 10 titles so spent $50 but I am good for quite a while. I love to listen to my ipod through my car speakers when driving and also when outdoors when reading is not desired. One auxiliary item I have purchase is a bluetooth headset so I can drop my ipod into my pocket and listen wherever I go. Very cool.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

well, it's only $5/mo more than you are spending now or only an extra $60/yr and odds are even with buying on the good sales you'll likely spend more on your method.

I've looked at is several times and always come out at worst even and most years I easily benefit from the full $100 savings. PLUS it's a way to get a nice device for $100 less upfront.

So to each their own but it's actually a good deal for someone who already likes audiobooks and Audible for sure.

And I think you are intentionally being misleading by highlighting the $4.95 specials as the selections are typically marginal for me at best. PLUS I still get the option of them on my annual plans, yes we have several plans annual plans we buy a year at a time. Even buying an Audible book at the normal member price is often only a couple bucks more than the current ebook price. Which kinda makes "The Agency" look very silly as overhead to produce an audiobook far exceeds that of an ebook.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

No, I apoligize if it appears that my comment about the $4.95 sale is misleading, indeed not my intention. You are correct that the specials are available for all the audible plans. For a heavy audible book user, the gold and platium plans are great, but I am an occasional listener so the "light" plan they offered when I quit the monthly plan was ideal. Audible intentionally does not offer that plan as an initial sign up option but offers it when members "quit". Keep me as a member! As for being "marginal" offerings, I beg to differ. The ten I picked up today were from light mystery novels to historical books (Ghandi and Churchill) and books made into movies (The Time Traveler's Wife) so I am very pleased with my purchases.
Audible is a great value no matter what plan you use and since they are now tied to your Amazon account, very easy to purchase. Frankly Amazon gets a lot of my online purchases now. They have proven to be a very reliable online vendor.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned

oh, shoot, I need to apologize to because I thought UNINTENTIONALLY not intentionally, oopsie!

And it's great you got some nice finds on the $4.95 specials but for the books like there is pretty much one or two in the whole 250 that I have any interest in. And I long ago grabbed TTTW so no bonus for me when that was up on the list.

And I hear ya in that I do almost all my shopping within Amazon anymore. I save $1000's annually on fuel costs alone. And heck it's a wash with the upfront cost of a CostCo membership. And I can grab what I need on the fly no special trips. Yes, it hurts the small local sellers but where I live there haven't ever been affordable local shops. Even 40yrs ago people all drive at minimum a 50mi round trip to buy stuff. Heck even our K-Mart might have been the worst stocked K-Mart on the planet. haha...

Anyway, I see how Audible works for you and that's cool but my point on the post was to let someone who would like a nice new shiny to save some cash and have access to another form of exposure to literature at a reasonable cost. The key though is people need to make sure any existing MP3 player is Audible compatible or its a mess working around it! Yuk...
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Agreed. I hate forking out $50 a year for a membership with Costco. And since we live in a rural area, Costco is 20 miles away so I live without. My philosophy is, if I can buy online products that aren't available locally, at a reasonable price, and get free or low cost shipping, then that saves me time and cost of gas and wear and tear on my car. It's a win-win for me!
Thanks for a fun and stimulating conversation today! I love having these conversations here at Mobile Read.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned

Thought I would add an update that the current $4.95 special actually had 5-6 titles I decided to grab. An all time high which is cool. But also they have Shantaram (and it's 43hrs of exciting adventuring goodness) for $4.95. For me the audiobook version is super even after I had read the book.

I also was able to grab Count Zero by William Gibson which is one that has been on my wish list for a while now. Same for Starman Jones by Heinlein which I just could not bring myself to spend a full credit on but for $5, why not it's a fun read so should be a good listen as well. I grabbed a couple other titles that were in a similar category for me, interesting but not "credit worthy", a $5-bill yup no question why not but not a $12 credit. Yeah, I am that cheap.

Here is a thread with the links to the current sale:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18#post1436418