Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast
ScoutPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 3G+WiFi
Whispernet Problem, K3, 3G+WiFi

Hey all,

Just trying to figure something out. Do you have to have a registered K3 for Whispernet to work. I have a 3G+WiFi K3 but I never see the 3G icon, only Wi-Fi when surfing the net or on Amazon. I've gone to settings and used 311. I see the setting but I can't put a checkmark next to any of the wireless providers, when I click enter say next to AT&T (3G), it just flashes and goes back to the settings page. If anyone has any experience with this please chime in. Wondering if it is broken. Thanks!
ScoutPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but why is your K3 not registered?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive the question, but why is your K3 not registered?
Alright. I knew this would come up. Here is the deal without going into too much detail. I got this thing before I left for overseas. While I have no problems using wifi, I don't want to register the device until I get back stateside months from now since it links to my account which in turn links to my personal Amazon information. I just don't need my personal info floating around where I'm at for security reasons so I keep it not registered.

I'm trying to get the collections thing to work but I know it wont since I never registered it before I left. Anyone have advice on a work around for that? I have tons of books but can't org them and hate scrolling through pages and pages to get to my current read.

Also, back to my 3G question. Does it need to be registered to be able to select a proper cell network?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
No. It doesn't need to be registered to use WiFi or 3G.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I couldn't find anything about it in the User Guide or on the Kindle web site. My guess would be that since Whispernet connects your Kindle to your Kindle account, I would imagine it needs to be registered to do this.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I couldn't find anything about it in the User Guide or on the Kindle web site. My guess would be that since Whispernet connects your Kindle to your Kindle account, I would imagine it needs to be registered to do this.
The Kindle allows you to register it over 3G so it'd have to let you onto Whispernet to be able to do this.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's right. You can use 3G to register, therefore 3G must work without it being registered. Collections, however, are NOT available on an unregistered Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right. You can use 3G to register, therefore 3G must work without it being registered. Collections, however, are NOT available on an unregistered Kindle.
OK. Then anyone know why I can't select a mobile network.

Also, is there a work around for collections so I can organize my stuff before I have a chance to register - many months away.

I saw this thread but am hesitant as I don't wanna coaster my awesome, yet dusty, new graphite kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87686

Thanks all, any help would be appreciated.

BREAK BREAK////

KevinP, thanks for looking. Is that a Warrior behind you?

Last edited by ScoutPilot; 11-14-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Have you tried it in a situation where there is no WIFI - mine defaults to WIFI at home and the 3G only shows up if I am out and about with no WIFI. On a side note, when I get my newspaper via Whispernet [in Canada] there might be one picture in it. When I get it via WIFI it is full of pictures - guess they want to cut down on their free 3G costs.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
ScoutPilot
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
Have you tried it in a situation where there is no WIFI - mine defaults to WIFI at home and the 3G only shows up if I am out and about with no WIFI. On a side note, when I get my newspaper via Whispernet [in Canada] there might be one picture in it. When I get it via WIFI it is full of pictures - guess they want to cut down on their free 3G costs.
Just tried it...no luck...curious. I wonder whats going on with it.