Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
HD - Not starting anymore... bricked or other problem?

My Glo HD is showing the cover image of the book I was reading (so he is in standby), but he won't wake up from standby. When I connect it to my Windows 10 PC it finds a SE Blank Megrez device... Is my Kobo bricked? I used the newest firmware (4.4.9344) and it was working fine until now.
Sometimes I had to long press the button to kill it and restart it. But that Doeskin seem to help now. The red light will light up but it won't reboot and start.

Last edited by paul1508; 07-13-2017 at 05:32 PM.
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1508 View Post
My Glo HD is showing the cover image of the book I was reading (so he is in standby), but he won't wake up from standby. When I connect it to my Windows 10 PC it finds a SE Blank Megrez device... Is my Kobo bricked? I used the newest firmware (4.4.9344) and it was working fine until now.
Sometimes I had to long press the button to kill it and restart it. But that Doeskin seem to help now. The red light will light up but it won't reboot and start.
I'm not an expert, but the Kobo Glo HD has a microSDHC card in it which contains the reader's OS and all the books. My guess is that if Windows 10 finds a blank SD card when you plug it in, the microSDHC card's content got damaged. If you post to the "Need SD Image" thread, someone will PM with an image of the firmware. You could try to reload the existing microSDHC card, or you could get a new one that is at least 4 GB (I've got a 64GB microSDXC card in mine), follow the directions and build the image in the new card, open up the reader and replace the SDHC card. This voids the warranty, if that matters to you, but if you try to return it for warranty work, you could replace the new SD card with the one that's there now.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
paul1508
paul1508 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
After the battery drained, it did start again... I would like to install an older, more stable firmware. The newest one freezes way too often.

Dies anyone have a recommendation which one I should try? I did never patch any of the firmwares I installed... Should I do that before I try another firmware?
paul1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you have issues with the 4.4.x firmware, then go back to either the last of the 4.3.x or all the way back to 3.19.x. But, there will should be an update soon that fixed the problems people are having with 4.4.9344.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Wdeb
Wdeb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo
SE Blank MEGREZ....

Well, I do seem to have the same problem. So after buying a HD when the Glo died on me, I have used this for two or three weeks....AAAAAHHHH.

But in this case it fell. I see no cracks or something like that. Hope it is the SD-card.

How to drain a book when nothing works???

I go and find the need SD-card image topic for this one too. Hope it this time solves the problem..

Wdeb
Wdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
See the response to your other post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote