Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2021, 07:28 AM   #166
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm in my 60s, and was diagnosed with short sight at the age of 10 when I couldn't see the blackboard in the classroom at my new school (primary classroom was wide and shallow, secondary was the other way round). I also have astigmatism. I can read on all types of screens, but prefer an e-ink screen for long periods; I find the bigger the screen (up to a point), the easier it is to immerse. (I also have arthritis in my hands, and find repetitive swiping aggravates it.)

For lighting, I prefer a strong ambient light. I can read in direct sunlight, but prefer not to - I was told by my optician in my 20s not to go out in strong sun unless I wore a hat and/or sunglasses as I was complaining about day-time headaches. Apparently, it was the glare of strong sunlight that was triggering them.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
FWIW, I tend to agree with @ottisschwenk. Yes, I could try to use a single device for all purposes however I find having a laptop, iPad Pro and eInk ereader in my laptop bag plus an iPhone in my pocket is a much more flexible way to go. Do some of the device capabilities overlap? Yes. Would anyone want a toolbox with a single tool in it if they had any other choice? For me, the answer is a resounding NO!
What if it was a sonic screwdriver?

Last edited by davidfor; 05-05-2021 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Remove repeated words.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:57 PM   #168
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What if it was a was a sonic screwdriver?
Gimme a hammer and I can "fix" anything.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM   #169
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Over 50, moderate myopia and astigmatism. My close vision is good and I read without my glasses. I can read for short periods on my phone but long reading sessions result in eyestrain. I have the same problem if I spend too long doing anything on the phone, i.e. browsing stores, not just reading books. I don't have any eyestrain problems with e-ink.

Obviously there are plenty of people who can read on LCD with no problem. I'm glad people are reading whether it be paper books, LCD or whatever so authors will keep writing and publishers will keep publishing. I just hope Kobo, Kindle et al keep making e-ink readers for those of us who prefer them.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #170
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Some can read on LCD for long periods, some cannot. Based on personal experience, I suspect that people that can use LCD a lot can also tolerate / need a brightly illuminated display. A poll would enlighten this subject a bit. I'll have to think about what options to put on it.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #171
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
I don't know why this is asked over and over and over again. Dedicated ereader equals no glare, better for the eyes. Also if you don't want one simply do not buy one.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #172
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Better for some eyes. That part always needs said over and over again too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #173
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Better for some eyes. That part always needs said over and over again too.
But my eyes are the only ones that matter to me. What the rest of you zombies read on doesn't bother my eyes.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote