Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why not put Guilty Pleasures after the colon? Then you could put anything at all before it. Wine and Cheese. Naps. Handbags. Power Tools. Anything that seems fun or an indulgence to you. People would still be free to interpret Guilty Pleasures as they'd like.
Perfect; that’s a great idea! Thanks

How about Coffee, Chocolate, Rich Red Port: Guilty Pleasures
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
So far all I've managed are some one-word ideas for themes:
Survivors
Personalities
Morality-Tales (added the hyphen to make my intro true )
Traitors
Trials
Quarantine

Any suggestions making any of these pretty would be appreciated.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Hmm. Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers?
Sorry, Catlady I cross-posted with you. I love your suggestion; it’s rather daring
Old 02-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I like both options for guilty pleasures; good updates to the previous theme - Just for Fun: Guilty Pleasures (December 2018) - and show how a different title and the same idea can be taken quite differently.

Between the Covers: Guilty Pleasures would be more in line with how we have done them in the past but they both work and it doesn't really matter.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Sorry, Catlady I cross-posted with you. I love your suggestion; it’s rather daring
Tsk, tsk. It was totally innocent, I assure you. I was referencing BOOK covers, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
So far all I've managed are some one-word ideas for themes:
Survivors
Personalities
Morality-Tales (added the hyphen to make my intro true )
Traitors
Trials
Quarantine

Any suggestions making any of these pretty would be appreciated.
Survivors, Personalities, and Traitors seem like they want to be combined. Something like Heroes and Cowards: The Human Condition maybe?

The Times That Try Men's Souls: Overcoming Obstacles could include trials and quarantine too.

I don't know about Morality-Tales; I don't know what you have in mind there.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:19 PM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for those ideas Catlady. For morality-tales I was thinking of stories with a strong moral theme. A lot of fairy-tales and fables fall into this category - like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", for example. Which perhaps suggests a theme of: Crying Wolf: Morality Tales.

Still mulling over the others. I still like "Survivors" as an explicit part of a theme.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Which would clearly call for one of the best books by one of the great Canadian authors: Farley Mowat's Never Cry Wolf. (A wonderful book, btw.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 AM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm still thinking about this. I had thought of The grass is greener:Temptations but Victoria got there ahead of me with her Guilty Pleasures.

Another thought was Best served cold: Revenge, but that is probably too prescriptive.

I do like your Revolution theme, Catlady.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm still thinking about this. I had thought of The grass is greener:Temptations but Victoria got there ahead of me with her Guilty Pleasures.

Another thought was Best served cold: Revenge, but that is probably too prescriptive.

I do like your Revolution theme, Catlady.
I like the Revolution theme, too; I meant to say that upthread; I also like Carefully Taught, which I just saw now when I scrolled up.

With some of these, could we be running into the same problem that we had this past year, of being too clever for our own good? I could already tell I'd be scrambling for ideas with a few, especially since I also strongly prefer to nominate books I haven't read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think Temptations and Guilty Pleasures are the same thing. Guilty Pleasures seems to be a wide open category--favorite books, trashy books, crime, etc. Temptations seems to have more of a good vs. evil vibe.

Since you also suggested Revenge, I wonder about a theme that might encompass both--something like The Dark Side, or The Seven Deadly Sins.

Quote:
With some of these, could we be running into the same problem that we had this past year, of being too clever for our own good? I could already tell I'd be scrambling for ideas with a few, especially since I also strongly prefer to nominate books I haven't read.
I agree.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Quote:
I agree.
As do I. KISS* should be our operative word, I think. We want themes that allow folks to have fun, not struggle.

Spoiler:
Keep It Simple, Stupid
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #27
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think Temptations and Guilty Pleasures are the same thing. Guilty Pleasures seems to be a wide open category--favorite books, trashy books, crime, etc. Temptations seems to have more of a good vs. evil vibe.
I think so too. Temptations, envy, etc sound more like the theme of a story.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Perhaps part of our trickiness is in trying to have the second qualifying word or phrase. So for example, a single phrase like The grass is greener leaves the theme open to a straight interpretation of what the saying means, or a book about Ireland, or whatever.

Here’s another, which I put up some time back but which was too close to another theme that we selected: Over the hills and far away to which could be added Travel or Journeys if people want to stick with the second part.

ETA: Or perhaps we could just have a single word theme, as with gmw’s Survivors or Colo(u)r or Journeys.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 02-05-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps part of our trickiness is in trying to have the second qualifying word or phrase. So for example, a single phrase like The grass is greener leaves the theme open to a straight interpretation of what the saying means, or a book about Ireland, or whatever.

Here’s another, which I put up some time back but which was too close to another theme that we selected: Over the hills and far away to which could be added Travel or Journeys if people want to stick with the second part.

ETA: Or perhaps we could just have a single word theme, as with gmw’s Survivors or Colo(u)r or Journeys.
I don't agree that the second part is the problem; I think that helps to focus the theme a little bit to what the person intends or hopes for, but still leaves the first part open.

Over the Hills and Far Away: Journeys seems fine to me--I see Journeys as more expansive than Travel; e.g., Journeys could include personal growth.

I'll be blunt and say I don't like Survivors--I don't know what to do with it. What comes to mind are memoirs or nonfiction adventure stories; I don't know how to broaden it out to something I personally would want to read. Sadly, I also have a problem with Morality Tales--after Aesop's Fables, what fits?

(Sorry, GMW.)
Old 02-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Catlady, I figured one of the reasons for this discussion was to get an idea of how others reacted to a theme, so there is no need to apologise.